The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1

I will no longer do business with Midway

I placed an order with them on the 10th and they sent me a notice that it shipped on the 13th. Obviously, I haven't received it and just talked to Midway CS and they informed me that an attempt had been made to deliver on the 16th and several notices have been sent to me regarding the inability to deliver by the US Postal Service, of which I've received 0.

Remain calm and wait? I'd rather trust a baggage handler at the bus station than the USPS and had I known that they wouldn't ship UPS, which is what I thought I had paid for, they would have never gotten my order to begin with. Now the onus is on me to deal with the USPS to locate what has actually happened to my order that was paid for and billed to a debit card, so Midway has been paid for goods and services which I didn't receive with the local post office not being able to find my house with a 9 digit zip code. One of the items was clearance priced which will likely be out of stock by the time the bankrupt US Postal Service locates it and sends it back to Midway, if in fact it isn't sitting in some local pawn shop by now. I realize that my money is refundable, but that's not the point. I could have just as easily placed the order with Graf & Sons and paid just a couple of dollars more for the clearance item from Midway. On top of that, I am self-employed and my time is valuable to me. My office is in my home where I have been all along while the bankrupt bunglers have evidently been placing notices elsewhere. Midway should have shipped as they always had before by UPS and I wouldn't be posting this now. This is the first order I've sent their way in a while and evidently it's more important to them to skim on shipping with flat-rate USPS rates or UPS to USPS co-op service with an agency we all know to be teetering on bankruptcy, rather than normal reliable UPS shipping.

I believe in second chances, but hadn't ordered from them for some time because of dissatisfaction with a previous order. They'll never get another penny of my money again. Maybe I was a bit negligent in thinking they would ship UPS, but according to my shipping info, it sure looked like it was coming UPS. I doubt that my shooting partner will ever order from them again either and between us that's a few thousand dollars of business every year which is probably the only way they'll understand that the burden of delivery is on them and not the customer who has essentially paid them cash money with the expectation of reliable delivery.

So, I'll wait and get my refund after they wait to get their goods back to refund it to me when they could have shipped it through a company that's less likely to be inept and bankrupt because of it. I will then place an order with Graf & Sons who have never failed to deliver what I have paid for.

Be advised if you think that Midway will ship by the most reliable method with the least amount of hassle. I guess now they expect the customer to pay even more for a more reliable shipping option than the bankrupt bunglers while Graf & Sons charges their usual handling and insurance fees with no shipping charges. Geez, that's a tough choice! Rant-Off.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:12 PM   #2
steve4102

OK, more stuff for me, Thanks.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Jerry45

I have an order coming. I paid for UPS and it shipped from Midway UPS. I have a UPS tracking # supplied by Midway. I checked UPS tracking this morning and UPS had handed my package off to the USPS. This is the second time UPS has done this. Are you sure Midway sent your stuff USPS or did UPS do a number on you?

I'm wonder what the deal is with UPS doing part of the shipping/transporting then handing off to USPS for delivery. If I pay for UPS I expect UPS to deliver not the USPS.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
David Bachelder

Your items probably were shipped UPS. UPS and USPS have teamed up. Items sent out by UPS are sometimes scheduled for final delivery by the Post Office (USPS).

I forget the name of it but it offers nice discounts to shippers, especially those that ship a lot of packages.

You should have received a tracking number. I suggest that you find the number, track the package and see if it shows up, or call Midway and have them track it.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
chewie146

That's the bargain UPS shipping. Blame the carrier, not the company you ordered from. USPS is a bunch of idiots that should all be fired, but I have no bias on the matter. I'm sure others have stronger opinions on the matter! In all seriousness, though, examine your local carrier and mailperson. That's probably where the fault lies. USPS is going through some...transitional times.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Farmland

It is called UPS Mail Innovations.

http://www.upsmailinnovations.com/se...stic_mail.html
Old May 20, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
higgite

Same thing happened to me. Shipped by UPS, final delivery by USPS. Funny thing is, it was my choice. Midway offers multiple shipping methods for you to choose from during their checkout procedure. The one I chose was "UPS Sure Post (USPS Final Delivery)". It was the cheapest and it worked for me. It also happens to be the default choice if you don't change it. Sorry it didn't work for you. If I were you, I just wouldn't order from them again.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Jerry45

Several months ago I ordered something from another company. It was shipped UPS and was supposed to be delivered by end of day. My understand was that end of day was 5:PM. I call UPS and got some smart arss with an Indian accent. I was being polite but he started off with an attitude. Seems end of day for a residential address is 11:PM. 11:PM? It arrived at 10:PM. I use FedX whenever its offered. Haven't had a problem with them.... yet.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:22 PM   #9
David13

Jerry
A whole lot of people aren't at home til at night. That way they can verify that you got your package.
It makes sense to me, and they (UPS, not USPS) seems to be solvent, I think.
dc
Old May 20, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10

Well, guys, I thought I had selected the UPS option and paid for it. I do have a tracking number so I will see if I can run it down through the USPS even though they couldn't find my house with a 9 digit zip code. Then followed up with leaving notices at an incorrect address. I had no idea that the USPS would be involved so some kind of snafu occurred.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:56 PM   #11
TXGunNut

I have a pretty good track record with Midway, UPS and USPS; I have no doubt they will make it right.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Jerry45

Never-mind.

Last edited by Jerry45; May 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:09 PM   #13
ak40

ups takes things to the usps that will fit in mail box that's what my mail lady said I got stuff from brownell the same way it was shipped ups and I got it by usps
Old May 20, 2013, 09:17 PM   #14
overthere

Sorry to hear you are having issues with that delivery.

I have had the exact opposite experience with Midway. I have ordered from them no less than 8 times this year and in a majority of those cases I have received the packages in three days or less from when I ordered, a couple of them just two days after ordering.

5 of the 8 packages were sent Surepost (which is when USPS delivers to the final address) and 3 were UPS Ground. For one of the Surepost deliveries, UPS delivered the package directly, one day earlier than the originally scheduled delivery (which was three days after my order)! The UPS tracking information said something like 'will deliver directly to customer instead of through USPS', I was floored when I saw it.

Perhaps the Surepost (or Mail Innovations) service has been getting so much bad feedback that UPS is trying to make up for it by providing extra expedient deliveries. Not sure what it is but I am not complaining.

In addition to the speedy deliveries my overall experience with Midway has also been very positive. I had to do a return of a product (I ordered the incorrect one) and I had a credit to my account 2 days after they received the returned item. I had a problem with one of the items I ordered, a Lee case trimmer, and they sent me a replacement no questions asked (low cost item, granted, but nevertheless). So Midway will continue to get my business for sure.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Vance

Well, Fedex offers the same service as UPS. I have a package coming to me right now that was shipped Fedex and is being delivered by the USPS..

Fedex smart post or
UPS Mail Innovations
Old May 20, 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
hgmeyer

UPS Mail Innovations

Midway, and others, do indeed list the delivery service as UPS Mail Innovations. It travels UPS to the nearest sort facility (here in Chicagoland that is Hodgkins, IL or one of the distribution centers, mine is Palatine, IL) and it is then dropped in the US Mail for final delivery. It is "cheap" but one to three days slower than normal UPS delivery. And, a tracking number is only informative to the sort facility and then it "disappears" till after delivery. The estimated delivery date is less accurate for this low cost service for small packages. If you are in business you can elect to "upgrade" to UPS Select service for $3.50 and it gets brought out on the UPS truck not by the mailman and it is usually one day earlier than the mailman.

Read the delivery options info carefully on the Midway website and it vaguely describes the Mail Innovations Service. I believe that you can select UPS Ground even if it qualifies for UPS Mail Innovations, at a slightly higher cost.

All that being said, there is no reason for any CS employee to be anything other than helpful, friendly and courteous.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:25 PM   #17
David Bachelder

I have been shipping packages for twelve years. I have used USPS almost exclusively. In the last twelve years I've had one "Lost Package". Another time I had a customer get a package stolen off his porch, we think. He lived across from a school and he had a history of theft.

I probably ship a dozen packages a month. Over twelve years that would be 1728 packages and only one loss. Pretty good record as far as I can see.

Another thing, almost all of my packages go "Parcel Post", and that shipping option is supposed to have the worlds worst record.

I do use FedEx from time to time. I don't normally use UPS. Not because I don't like UPS but because it is not as accessible for me.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:26 PM   #18
jepp2

Quote:
I will no longer do business with Midway
Sorry to hear you had a problem with getting your order. But when you checked out, YOU selected the shipping option that resulted in UPS handing off your order to USPS. YOU could have selected UPS ground and it would have never involved USPS and you probably would have received your order. So I'm not exactly sure why you are blaming Midway. But it is up to you where to place your future orders.

My personal experience has been exceptional with Midway. On a few rare occasions when problems did occur, they were exceptionally helpful in resolving the issue with no added cost to me. I find the breadth of inventory they carry to be far beyond anyone else. They aren't the cheapest on everything, but I wouldn't expect them to be. But they do get the lions share of my orders. And I have no affiliation or ownership in Midway.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:37 PM   #19
Rangefinder

Here's a very simple fix, people. Use ONE STANDARD ADDRESS to order.

Your Name (where it says...)

--in address line 1-- ENTER YOUR STREET ADDRESS

--in address line 2-- ENTER YOUR PO BOX

and then finish the rest like you're a big boy or girl. That way, no matter who it goes to, they have a way to get it TO YOU. If that doesn't solve it, the next step is a meeting scheduled with the postmaster, and be mindful of the stickers on the door. Politeness goes a long way. Politely mentioning the next conversation will be with the next level up goes well when politeness alone doesn't. Those high-paid postal jobs are guarded by those who hold them better than gold at the US Mint.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:44 PM   #20
eviltravis

My every experience with Midway had been excellent.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:26 AM   #21
teeroux

Yeah well nowadays if you see a Fedex truck pull up it may say Fedex on the side but it isn't a Fedex truck. They contract out to private delivery companies who handle the locale deliveries. They don't actually work for Fedex they just paint the logo on the trucks. Sort of how Semi-truck companies contract lease. I would suspect UPS does the same thing. So unless its next day or something ridiculously priced you likely aren't getting the actual delivery company delivering the product.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:57 AM   #22
Hartblood

I perfer not to use UPS. They lost one of my packages and had a hard time getting them to pay for it.
Old May 21, 2013, 05:14 AM   #23
Skadoosh

Considering their excellent customer satisfaction record, I would say that your experience is an unusual anomoly. Swearing off MidwayUSA is a bit overboard in my opinion. But to each his own.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:54 AM   #24
HiBC

I have learned to always put a delivery instruction"No signature"

Having to sign for the pkg makes life miserable for me and for the delivery person.

Midway,and the rest like Natchez,Grafs,etc have treated me excellent.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:21 AM   #25
William T. Watts

UPS Mail Innovations

I have had items take as long as 13 days to be delivered, even when I specify that I don't want to use this option. I try not to be a repeat buyer with these sellers. 1st UPS, 2nd Fedex, 3rd Postal Service (Priority only), they are all fine as long as they don't start shuffling the packages between the different services. I am Postal retired so this gives me no pleasure to say this about my former employer!! William