The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 11:47 AM   #26
rebs

I like the Glock 30 or 36 in 45 acp, small package but all the power
Old December 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #27
CWKahrFan

Quote:
Would the Glock 26 be a tiny or considerable step up from the LCP?
In what sense? Size? Considerable...Yes. Weight? Considerable...Yes. Recoil? Yes. Price? Yes.

Picture comparison:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...r-lcp-pix.html

Video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=087vwIKBr8g

Last edited by CWKahrFan; December 4, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:10 PM   #28
SIMP

Well, I took a trip to the gun shop at lunch and held the Glock 26. It seemed "fat" in my hand but I guess it's because I'm used to the LCP. They did not have the Shield or SR9c for me to handle.

Anyway, I think I've deiced to hold off on a new purchase and use the LCP for a while. Now I'm trying to decide if I want my IWB holster to have a retention strap or not. I could see where it might benefit someone who "moves" a lot but I'm not sure if I fall into the category or not.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old December 4, 2012, 04:00 PM   #29
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Anyway, I think I've deiced to hold off on a new purchase and use the LCP for a while. Now I'm trying to decide if I want my IWB holster to have a retention strap or not. I could see where it might benefit someone who "moves" a lot but I'm not sure if I fall into the category or not.

What are your thoughts on this?
I will never recommend a retention strap on an IWB holster. Your belt will cause enough friction resistance to keep the gun in place. The other purpose of a retention strap is to prevent gun-grabs. If you are carrying IWB, that typically means concealed so a gun grab is extremely unlikely (more unlikely than you needing to draw). If you have to draw, a retention strap will just slow you down.

Bottom line, stay away from retention straps when carrying IWB.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:35 PM   #30
CWKahrFan

Quote:
Your belt will cause enough friction resistance to keep the gun in place.
Yep... Assuming you use a good quality wide-enough belt.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:30 PM   #31
dgludwig

Quote:
I will never recommend a retention strap on an IWB holster. Your belt will cause enough friction resistance to keep the gun in place. The other purpose of a retention strap is to prevent gun-grabs. If you are carrying IWB, that typically means concealed so a gun grab is extremely unlikely (more unlikely than you needing to draw). If you have to draw, a retention strap will just slow you down.
A person trying to grab your gun doesn't really care if it is "extremely unlikely" that he does so or not. Whereas many (if not most) of my iwb rigs rely on "friction resistance" for retention purposes, I see nothing wrong with relying on a retention strap to help prevent bad people from grabbing a gun from good people. In addition to gun retention training that had nothing to do with holster configuration, my agency required us to use a holster with a thumb-break design, even if the gun was being carried in an iwb rig. Good training and lots of practice permits a fast draw, even if the pistol is being retained by a retention strap-and, at the same time, helps thwart a gun grabber from gaining access to your gun.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:19 AM   #32
RBid

Re: IWB and retention straps

Anybody attempting to take your concealed carry weapon from you should have three hurdles to clear.

1. They need to know that you're carrying.

2. They need to know where you're carrying.

3. They have to clear your cover garment(s).

Most angles of approach are unnatural, and biomechanically clumsy. Carrying concealed is a heavy retention system, in and of itself. Adding a retention strap will impact you on every draw, but will have no opportunity to hinder an offender, unless you make it known that you carry, make the position of your weapon known, and fail to respond to substantial enough garment clearing for an offender to gain access to your weapon, and to visually confirm the position, THEN attempt a (likely clumsy angle) draw.

I advise against retention straps for IWB.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:44 AM   #33
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Anybody attempting to take your concealed carry weapon from you should have three hurdles to clear.

1. They need to know that you're carrying.

2. They need to know where you're carrying.

3. They have to clear your cover garment(s).
This is exactly what I was saying (I just didn't make it a point to spell it all out )

1. Only a select few people should know that you carry.

2. Only a select few of that group should know where you carry.

3. Clearing cover garments to get to a handgun is harder for an assailant than clearing a retention strap on an OWB holster.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:28 PM   #34
armoredman

CZ-75 PCR

CZ 2075 RAMI.

CZ-75 P-01

Now, having said THAT, I also agree, that if you are a dyed in the wool Ruger man, they make some fine midsized pistols.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:28 PM   #35
SIMP

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have decided to just carry the LCP in an IWB holster with no strap. Heck, it's only $15 so if it doesn't work out, not like I'm out anything.

I am still eyeballing the M&P Shield. If I come across one, I may get it.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:36 PM   #36
AH.74

I think the G26 is a huge step up from the LCP.

Have you considered checking out the Kahrs? I got a PM9 a few months ago to have something between my G26 and LCP. It does that in excellent fashion.

The CM9 would fit that budget. And it's a bit smaller than the Shields. I also don't carry anything with a manual safety, so the Shield didn't work for me.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:59 PM   #37
wstein

SIMP, I was in your same situation a few months ago, my usual carry was my LCP and I wanted something a little beeferier. I purchased a Shield 40 in Aug and I positively enjoy this gun. I walked in to my LGS one day after I nailed a job interview and decided to treat myself.

The Shield is a huge improvement over the LCP in shooting enjoyment. The LCP kicks like a mule, so my practice with it is limited to 1 or 2 mags each range visit.

I bought a Barsony belt slide OWB holster off EBay for my Shield that is a very good holster, it holds my Shield securely flush against my waist at 4 o'clock. It allows for a easy draw in a bad situation.

Now with the Shield your only packing 6+1 in the 40. The other compacts out there will give your a few more rounds per mag, but they are going to be fatter then a single stack like the Shield or XDs.

Just my thoughts and musings, take them for what they are worth.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old December 7, 2012, 08:42 PM   #38
seeker_two

Remember the old days when the Commander-sized 1911 and Glock 19 were considered mid-sized?....
Old December 8, 2012, 04:30 AM   #39
Biner

I'll echo wstein...you can either have thinness or capacity. I've got the M&P 40C and the Shield 9mm. The 40C holds more rounds (despite being .40 cal vs. 9mm) but the Shield is easier to conceal and to me, more comfortable to carry. Both of them are nice to shoot.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:04 AM   #40
ferrarif1fan

I want to provide some input on the Bersa Pro Ultra Compact. This pistol is available in 9mm, .40 and .45. I was looking for a compact 9mm to use for appendix IWB carry. I wanted a combination of small size, thinness, hammer fired, and decent capacity. I ended up buying the Bersa Pro UC 9mm and still haven't found anything to replace it.

It is an all metal gun except for the one-piece plastic wraparound grip. The grip also incorporates finger grooves which make it very easy to grip. The capacity in 9mm is 13 +1. It has a decocker and an accessory rail for lights and lasers. It also has one of the smoothest single and double action trigger pulls out there. In fact, in stock form, it still probably has a better trigger than the Berettas I've massaged.

For me, it is just no more or no less than what I need for a nice compact 9mm pistol. Fully loaded, it's around 27-28 ounces, which is a bit more than I like. But that gives me 14 shots before having to reload. It is also pretty darn accurate for its short barrel length. It's not the prettiest thing, but it is like an anvil. It just works. If you can find one to handle and look over, you should try to check it over.

good luck!

Robert
Old December 8, 2012, 01:22 PM   #41
azmark

At least handle a Sig P250 before you decide. I have one and it's got a better feel in my hands than anything I looked at in a polymer-framed pistol. Some folks don't like that it's designed to be modular so you can modify it in several ways but folks do that with AR rifles and 10/22s and that is acceptable. Go figure. Smooth running, great feeling pistol.