The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 8, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
dstryr

Will you be exposed?

I've been thinking about this for a while and haven't seen it addressed so want to ask:

How have you prepared your family for the time when you may need to use your CCW? Through training we have learned to not jump into a situation unless 100% certain about what is going on.

What will your family members say if you

1) Walked up on a fight and a gun is pulled and it is not clear who the bad guy is...

2) Were in a convenience store when an armed robbery began, weapons pulled etc.

Will your husband, wife, significant other, child know to not expose you with

"Dad, shoot him!!" or "Bob, get your gun!!!!" after a robber pulls the trigger on a clerk.

Do your companions know not to expose you and can you trust them in a panic situation to not blurt out that you're armed?

Your thoughts, please.

http://www.dstryr.com/

Last edited by dstryr; October 8, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Bailey Boat

My wife knows 2 things, 1. don't say a word about whatever may be happening, and 2. get away from me if I ever draw my gun....... We do have a code word for certain situations....
Old October 8, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3
TheNocturnus

My wife also knows to get away from me if SHTF and I have to draw. We had had a few discussions about it but not enough. When my kid is born and old enough, I will teach him/her (will know which one in ~2 weeks!) that nobody needs to know that Daddy has a gun and to never tell anyone.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old October 8, 2012, 06:49 PM   #4
MTSCMike

My wife carries too so any bad guy that might need neutraizing will get a "two-fer"
Old October 8, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Tinner666

My wife carries some of the time. She ducks otherwise without saying a word. Once, she had her back to the trouble and as I drew and turned her way, she was already down and clear.
Another time, she was unarmed and saw a BG drawing/shielding a gun under his coat and approaching a LEO from behind. She poked and hissed it in my ear and I was able to draw and shout out. He froze, realized I had the drop, all in about 1/2 a second. He turned and ran as the LEO turned to see the end of it.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
FireForged

exposed to exclamations made by kids or spouse? What about screams, crashes, booms or gunfire, people running about and the close proximity of danger?

....im not really worried about what people are going to say if there is danger 10feet from me. I doubt that I will even notice it.

My Wife has sense enough to remove herself from danger if she can or take cover if she cant. All I have ever asked her to do is make herself safe and not force me to worry about what she is doing.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
saands

Some really good things to ponder (and implement) in this one ...

Thanks,

Saands
Old October 8, 2012, 10:11 PM   #8
dstryr

FireForged,
Exposed to is not the same as Exposed by.

Engaging with a bad guy is not the question. The question is, what if SHTF and a companion, whether spouse or child or neighbor's kid, who knows you carry screams for you to 'Shoot him!' in a SHTF moment. You are now potentially a target.

Can your companions keep quiet is the question. Have you thought it through? If you're in a restaurant and there is a holdup, if a BG is walking towards your table will someone at your table say 'Daddy, shoot him!'? Now you're screwed.

Food for thought. The question never occurred to me before today and I am asking if others have pondered the same question, and to what conclusion they have come.

Not trying to be a jerk, this is a serious question. Training and self-discipline doesn't rub off on family and friends.

http://www.dstryr.com/

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 18, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:44 PM   #9
zombietactics

It's an interesting enough hypothetical, but I have yet to hear of even a single case where anything like this has occurred. As such, I consider it low on the list of things to worry about.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Deja vu

My wife and I both carry...

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 9, 2012, 01:12 AM   #11
youngunz4life

my wife and I have a code word(for this house as one example), so there are no accidents
Old October 9, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
motorhead0922

Interesting stuff. Those of you who have a code word(s): How do you work that?
Old October 9, 2012, 03:28 PM   #13
mete

I told my GF if it hits the fan to instantly get away from me ,get down and behind something substantial.

Years ago in PA a man and wife went to the bank .He was carrying and she knew it. Two BGs entered to rob the bank. She whispered 'get your gun' .The BGs heard that and immediately shot and killed him !

Family members should be taught not to tell people you carry a gun.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:42 PM   #14
youngunz4life

we have one in the house. basically as only one example....if I am watching tv late at night and all of a sudden the alarm sounds - if my wife is walking downstairs in the dark she can use the code word.

i am not going to shoot my wife if she forgets to use the code word, but it helps to minimize the chances for a tragic event. there are other instances too you can think of. a code word lets you and your significant other know everything is safe, it is just me, etc. I recommend having it for emergency backup
Old October 9, 2012, 04:45 PM   #15
zombietactics

Quote:
... Years ago in PA a man and wife went to the bank .He was carrying and she knew it. Two BGs entered to rob the bank. She whispered 'get your gun' .The BGs heard that and immediately shot and killed him ! ...
Source or I call it what it sounds like ...
Old October 9, 2012, 07:17 PM   #16
youngunz4life

good example of a codeword on the opposite side of the spectrum that maybe could've stopped the robbers and/or especially saved his life
Old October 9, 2012, 07:50 PM   #17
wayneinFL

Quote:
It's an interesting enough hypothetical, but I have yet to hear of even a single case where anything like this has occurred. As such, I consider it low on the list of things to worry about.
There was such a situation in one of Ayoob's columns. An off duty cop was standing in a convenience store and was shot when he was outed by the clerk.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Nanuk

25 years ago there was a group of bandits that were robbing grocery stores in Ft Worth, Tx and executing witnesses. I was a cop there, my wife carried as well. I had trained her that if the SHTF she was to move away from me and protect our baby. When it was time for me to act everyone was going to be shooting at me and I did not want my family in the middle. My daughter was raised in such a manner.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:29 AM   #19
giaquir

It's cool to be an internet Rambo or John Mclane
but no one,I repeat no one, knows what the reaction
will be.Will the BG see you get red faced or move and
shoot you or will you grab your side arm and hesitate
for a split second and take one in the chest.
It's an interesting question, one that
cannot be answered until it happens.
Old October 16, 2012, 04:05 AM   #20
youngunz4life

codeword

http://www.kcra.com/news/Cops-Woman-...ml?hpt=us_bn10
Old October 16, 2012, 07:17 AM   #21
Qtiphky

I haven't really discussed it yet. I have go bags ready in the basement and she freaked out and called me everything under the sun from paranoid to psyscho. Didn't really care to listen to the fact that last year, about this time, we lost power for 3 days and had to leave our house and stay at my moms. Not an option anymore as my mom has passed and we will need to either hole up or go elsewhere, doesn't a go bag make sense then?

I don't think she would be too receptive to the conversation of "don't out me" as I don't think she really thinks it will ever happen. I'm a planner and she is not and that's just the way it is. Kids on the other hand, my 19 and 16 yr old are on board with the plans, even though they think I think things through too far as well, but at least they're on the same page.

She carries sometimes as well and shoots every bit as good as I do. She doesn't like to think that far ahead.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:14 AM   #22
j3ffr0

In both situations we are all the hell out of there if at all possible -- that is ALWAYS the first option. I'm not unnecessarily risking my families future because of two dudes brawling or over the contents of a convenience store register.

If that's not possible, my wife knows to keep her mouth shut.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:18 AM   #23
Pistolgripshotty

Me and the 'ol lady use codes...but she knows if I go for my pump stand behind me!
Old October 18, 2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Me and the 'ol lady use codes...but she knows if I go for my pump stand behind me!
You want your wife behind you in a shootout?!
Old October 18, 2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Dwight55

Thanks and kudos to the OP, . . .

Quite honestly, . . . it never has come up in the conversation.

Almost always when we are out together, . . . we are either at the restaurant table eating, . . . or each off getting our share of the shopping list. We really don't do the "you push the cart, . . . I'll load it up" togetherness thingy.

We WILL have this conversation though, . . . JIC.

We also have really curtailed the opportunities to visit the local "stop and rob", . . . when we do it is for gas, . . . and one always stays with the vehicle.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Closed Thread