The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 2, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
bshefa

Ruger M77 Hawkeye

I have the opportunity to buy one of these in the stainless all weather with a Leupold VXI (silver) 3x9 on the top in 25-06. I think I can get a pretty good price for it but I don't have any experience with Ruger bolt action rifles. Any opinions on the accuracy, function and what a good price would be on this rifle?
Old May 2, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
dgludwig

I don't have a good idea as to what the rifle is worth, especially with the Leupold scope but I'm of the opinion that nobody makes a better bolt-action rifle than Ruger. Mine have all been accurate "enough" (which is to say only one has been a real "tack-driver" but all are under 2" shooters-three shots @ 100 yards), well-built and finished and super reliable. I like the Mauser-style extractor, the 3-position safety (on the MKII models) and the one-piece bolt/bolt handle. Finally, in terms of appearance, I much prefer conservative lines on any rifle-and the model 77 has always came with a "classic" stock configuration.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
bshefa

2 inches?

Hmm... two inches seems a bit wide for a bolt action rifle. Hell my mini 14 will shoot that. I have several rem 700s that were MUCH better than that as stock rifles. I really hope that isn't the out of the box accuracy these things have.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
bshefa

All I can find on gunbroker are new ones, but I made an offer that I thought was fair considering the scope and the guy said okay. If it really is a 2 inch rifle then I still think I can turn a little profit.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
603Country

I have several Ruger 77's, with the most recent purchase being a Hawkeye. My Rugers are all accurate, and the Hawkeye is no different, particularly now that I have found a great bullet and powder combination. I can't say how mine or yours would shoot with factory ammo, but if you're a reloader you'll get all the accuracy you'll ever need.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
dgludwig

Quote:
Hmm... two inches seems a bit wide for a bolt action rifle.
Did you catch the under part of my post? And that's with stock rifles using factory ammunition.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:37 PM   #7
bshefa

Well, I own it now. Not a bad looking gun. Too windy to go try it out today, but will see soon enough. I think I did pretty good for what I paid.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
rugerfreak

I've owned a couple and they all seem to do well with cheap Federal ammo from Walmart----giving sub-MOA groups if I do my part right.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:30 PM   #9
BIG P

Not a Hawkeye but a M77-MKII in 25-06 I can tell you this, there isnt a coyote within 400yards that is safe from mine,they are nice rifles IMO.
Old May 7, 2012, 04:59 PM   #10
chewie146

Good choice! I have used 2 (my dad's) to take a variety of game. The .30-06 is around a 1.25" shooter with mass-production reloads (read not weighing and measuring each one), and the 6mm is minute of prairie dog out to an unknown long distance, as I've never shot that one at the range.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #11
PawPaw

My Ruger is an old tang-safety Model 77, made in 1971 but I've found two loads that seem to work well in it. Both use Reloder 22 powder and I'd be happy to carry them in the game fields anywhere.

You might try this load. It's not a max load, but I can never get max loads to shoot worth a hoot. This one is getting warm, but the manuals say it's a grain under max.

I've got a pretty good load using Sierra Gamekings too, if you're interested. I wrote up the latest load testing at my blog.

There is a lot to like in a Ruger rifle.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 7, 2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Keg

My wife shoots a Ruger 77 Hawkeye..stainless..308....It is light..very accurate..low recoil..very good trigger... She nails everything she aims at....
I like the Model 70 features..plus the soft pad and light weight....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (268.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (155.8 KB, 54 views)
Old May 9, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13
bshefa

Thanks for all the input. I still haven't had time to go out and play with it. Work always gets in the way Will let y'all know how it shoots when I get some groups done.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:15 PM   #14
private

help - photos? Bolt face

Installing a new extractor on my 270 Ruger m77 bolt.

I imagine it's going to need fitting - Can someone post a photo of your Ruger bolt face, or send me a photo, so I can compare the extractor I have?

Regards,
Old November 7, 2012, 08:19 PM   #15
SPEMack618

I have a M77 Mk. II that is super accurate with Winchester Super-X from the Big K.

I too like the classic looks and lines of the rifle. I got it used from th local pawn shop, passing up a new one with the now discontinued "boat oar stock".

Like my current rifle, but still long for a stainless one with the composite stock.

Great guns and a neat caliber to boot, bshefa.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:50 AM   #16
omeratwood

New Ruger Bolt-Actions

I looked online for a lightweight bolt action for long hikes into a hard to access area, where motorized travel is not an option, (ATVs not Permitted). I've always been a big fan of Ruger. The Hawkeye met every specififcation that I was looking for. So I hit the gun shops asking for one in .308 Win. And found a new one that day. After I worked the bolt to the rear, and back into battery a few times... I handed back to the dealer and walked out.

It may just be that I'm spoiled from the quality of the action of the older rifles, and many other improvements have been made over the years... Stocks, barrels, triggers.. I can't help but ask. WHAT THE HELL HAPPEND TO THE SMOOTH AS GLASS BOLTS? It felt like JUNK! and for it's price! No way could I feel proud to own anything of such diminished quality.
I ended up buying a Savage 11/111 Lightweight Hunter .308 Win.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Crankylove

My stainless Hawkeye in .358 Winchester has treated my well the last 5 years. Zero problems, good price, and 1" groups with my hand loads. It may not be as pretty as my Super Grade Model 70, but it works great for everything I have used it for.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:24 PM   #18
Ben Towe

My stainless M77 Mk. II in .338 Win. Mag will put three shots under an inch at 100 yards. Can't see where you could go wrong with it.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:22 AM   #19
BIG P

Just came back from a Deer trip took 3 does @ over 300 yds with My SS MKII IN 25-06 two neck shots & a high shoulder,none moved. Hornady 117 superformance,just have to love it.Its a death beam in the Deer woods, well on the power lines anyway.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:53 AM   #20
sc928porsche

Nice rifle and a great cartridge.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:22 PM   #21
chucknbach

Rugers out of the box are not known for accuracy. With a little $ and elbow grease they can be made to shoot but why. For less $, choose another brand and get better accuracy strait from the box.

That's my experience and I don't buy Ruger rifles any more.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:25 AM   #22
warbirdlover

Quote:
I have a M77 Mk. II that is super accurate with Winchester Super-X from the Big K.

I too like the classic looks and lines of the rifle. I got it used from th local pawn shop, passing up a new one with the now discontinued "boat oar stock".

Like my current rifle, but still long for a stainless one with the composite stock.

Great guns and a neat caliber to boot, bshefa.
I have a Mk II all-weather stainless (.300 Win Mag) that I just put a Boyds laminated stock on (laser checkered) and then had the Gander Mountain gunsmith pillar and glass bed it and free float the barrel. If I do my part it's almost a one hole group. And it was accurate right out of the box with the composite (paddle) stock. Almost as good of groups with any cheap factory ammo I fed it. I totally disagree Rugers are not accurate out of the box. I've never found a factory rifle that can shoot better groups. And SPEMack618, I sold that factory paddle stock for almost what the new stock cost.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:19 PM   #23
SPEMack618

I had a "boat oar" stock on my 10/22 but replaced it with a factory beech stock when I outgrew it. Bought it from the proprietor of my LGS for five dollars. I got the only stainless/beech 10/22 I know of.