The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2015, 09:10 AM   #1
ezmiraldo

Shotgun "malfunctions" and ways to address them

Folks,

As a semi-auto pistol person (and shotgun noob), I wonder if shotguns (in my case, pump Mossberg 500) experience such malfunctions as "stove-pipes" or "double-feeds" or "failure to eject", or other malfunctions? From what little I know, I understand that short-stroking the pump (either when pulling it back, or when pushing it forward) can create all sorts of problems, and the solution is simple: Just rack it forcefully both backwards and forwards. But, are there any other pump shotgun-specific malfunctions one should know about? And how to address them?

As always, your expertise and willingness to help are very much appreciated!
Old March 11, 2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Virginian

Anytime you experience any of the issues you mentioned with a good shotgun, something is wrong, and you need to fix it. None of those or normal, nor are they to be expected. A Remington LT20 Model 1100 went over 24,000 rounds with no nothing but loading and pulling the trigger, and a pump should go much longer. The Mossberg 500 is a good shotgun.
Short stroking is pure operator error.
Old March 11, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3
MoGas1341

ezmiraldo; Most of the time, any malfunction is indeed user error as you mentioned 'short shucking' or not pushing the slide forward hard enough to lock the bolt. It should be a very deliberate and controlled action when you cycle the gun. I have a Model 97 Winchester that you definitely cant treat like a prom queen when you throw the bolt forward...

I would suggest getting some range time in with standard bird shot just to familiarize your self, muscle memory wise, with how your shotty cycles and behaves. Don't be afraid to put some 'oomph' behind it when operating it, you wont break it!

...and if you run into issues, you always got that Army manual to fall back on!
Old March 11, 2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Bake

Quote:
I would suggest getting some range time in with standard bird shot just to familiarize your self, muscle memory wise, with how your shotty cycles and behaves. Don't be afraid to put some 'oomph' behind it when operating it, you wont break it!
MoGas is 1000% right!

On a couple of other thread I Have mentioned Skeet as a very good way to become familiar with your shotgun.

Ask your Puller to pull only singles in till you lean the sight picture of each station, and are breaking the birds.*

Next, ask the Puller to pull "On Report". You call for the first bird when you are ready, and the Puller will send the second bird when he hears your shotgun go off.*

And lastly, shoot regulation with "True Doubles" on stations #1&2, and #6&7.*

My motto for shooting a pump is "Slow & smoooth, is super fast"

Add: * The Wally World 20 bucks a box shells will be fine when you first start out.

Last edited by Bake; March 11, 2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old March 11, 2015, 12:55 PM   #5
gbc123

Ya man, a pump action shotgun is a bit of a different animal... You kinda gotta beat it like a red headed stepchild.
Old March 11, 2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Blindstitch

The Mossberg 500 can get failure to ejects if you shoot a lot.

If I go shoot clays and go through 100-150 shells things get dirty and the shells can stuck. If this happens unscrew the barrel and wipe the chamber. I've also use a mop on a short cleaning rod. Then put it back together and you're good to go.

I had to do this with those cheap Federal bulk packs they were selling for $20 at walmart. Some ranges also keep a dowel on the gun stand to pop the shell out.
Old March 11, 2015, 01:43 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Something is wrong and it's usually the operator with a pump.
Short stroking will cause feeding issues, but rarely the other malfunctions you mention. Dry fire practice helps there. Mind you, if you switch guns in the middle of a plate shoot bad things can happen. Busted my 870 at a plate shoot one time(split muzzle that I'm very glad I caught soon enough.). Guy lends me his ported Winchester(shooters are just like that) that had a slightly longer stroke than an 870. BANG, clack-clack, click, nothing. Threw it too short. Muscle memory.
"..."stove-pipes" or "double-feeds" or "failure to eject"..." These are usually seen only in semi-autos unless there's a broken part. Most semi's are ammo particular too. Pumps, not so much. Except for patterning, they'll function well as long as you do your part as the motor.
"...like a red headed stepchild..." Niece. She's exactly like her grandma. Same temperament and looks like the old bat too. Scares me. snicker.
Old March 11, 2015, 03:36 PM   #8
SPEMack618

I spend a fair amount of time teaching the Shotgun Merit badge at Boy Scout camp.

The kids have a tendency to short stroke the pump, both closing and opening.

I always tell them to pump it like they mean it, and "C'mon you've seen Terminator Two."
Old March 11, 2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Blindstitch

Quote:
The kids have a tendency to short stroke the pump, both closing and opening.
That's probably why the youth model Mossberg 500 has the forend carved out to come way back.

Old March 11, 2015, 04:54 PM   #10
JERRYS.

I never had a Remington or Mossberg pump shotgun malfunction, I've never seen one malfunction that wasn't attributed to the shooter's weak manipulation of the fore stock during the "pump".
Old March 11, 2015, 05:04 PM   #11
Virginian

Quote:
The Mossberg 500 can get failure to ejects if you shoot a lot.
If I go shoot clays and go through 100-150 shells things get dirty and the shells can stuck. If this happens unscrew the barrel and wipe the chamber. I've also use a mop on a short cleaning rod. Then put it back together and you're good to go.
I had to do this with those cheap Federal bulk packs they were selling for $20 at walmart. Some ranges also keep a dowel on the gun stand to pop the shell out.
Sounds like your chamber needs polishing. A 500 should go waaaaay more than 150 rounds before needing anything.
Old March 11, 2015, 05:36 PM   #12
g.willikers

Any mechanical device can fail at any time.
Just ask Harrison Ford.
Knowing what to do when a shotgun fails is part of knowing how to shoot one.
You know the techniques of how to clear your pistol.
And so you should with your shotgun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG63PY_CDB4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_vAGJ5gcQY

What did we ever do before Al invented the internet?
Old March 11, 2015, 06:57 PM   #13
FITASC

Quote:
MoGas is 1000% right!
Well, except for the "shotty" part......

IF there is a part malfunction with a pump, it will generally be an extractor for FTE, the carrier or mag spring for FTF (feed); if parts are working, then it generally is operator error as mentioned above
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Bake

Quote:
Quote:
MoGas is 1000% right!

Well, except for the "shotty" part......
I am going to "Pass"
Old March 11, 2015, 10:47 PM   #15
MoGas1341

Oh c'mon, a little slang never hurt anyone!
Old March 11, 2015, 10:57 PM   #16
Virginian

Quote:
Oh c'mon, a little slang never hurt anyone!
I don't know. I will usually go out of my way to help any man (or woman) with a shotgun problem. Anyone with a "shotty" is on their own.
Old March 11, 2015, 11:27 PM   #17
MoGas1341

Oh jeez, I just looked that up "Shotty" on the urban dictionary. I must be living with my head in the sand and yeah, I don't blame you Virginian, I cant say I would help them either! *smh*
Old March 12, 2015, 03:05 AM   #18
bamaranger

phrase

One specific phrase I learned on this forum re pump shotguns was "failure to feed up". Briefly, the carrier or "spoon" as some call it, was not raising the fresh shell high enough to enter the chamber, and was lodging, wedged by the bolt, against the receiver and chamber mouth.

This annoying problem was manifesting itself on several agency 870's of some age and dubious pedigree, and more importantly, on my personal, long reliable turkey gun (also an 870, but near 30 yrs old) . The pestilence only seemed to appear when the guns were being run hard, as in timed quals, or in my gun, when a gobbler was flopping about and I'd be trying to get another round up....just in case. (RARELY needed, BTW) But still, agitating. What I heard, regularly, was the guns were being "short stroked" under pressure..."operator error under stress", etc.

I didn't buy it, and embarked on a project to resolve same. The park guns got cured by installing new " carrier dog springs", and my old faithful is now up to par with a new complete carrier assembly.

Worn, tired parts equals malfunctions.
Old March 12, 2015, 08:35 AM   #19
Virginian

Actually, Remington has the "normal" carrier dog follower spring and a "heavy duty" one, that is the same as the one on the 1100. Working the slide very hard it may be possible to overcome the spring so the carrier does not lift a round fully. The heavier spring addresses that.
Old March 12, 2015, 09:03 AM   #20
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGas1341
Oh jeez, I just looked that up "Shotty" on the urban dictionary.
I think it's mostly used by the people who spell the word "you" as "U" and the word "for" as "4" when they write.
Personally, I prefer "fowling piece".
Old March 12, 2015, 04:49 PM   #21
ezmiraldo

Thanks guys for your opinions. G.W. -- that's what I was thinking, it seems that a mechanical device, especially which experiences a stress of sending lots of lead down range, might be prone to hic-ups. I've already had one of these -- on a windy day, bunch of sand flew into the action of my Mossy -- so the slam-buttstock-on-the-ground was how I was able to move my pump back.
Old March 12, 2015, 05:59 PM   #22
FITASC

Quote:
so the slam-buttstock-on-the-ground was how I was able to move my pump back.
Sorry, that should NEVER be necessary to do - better off disassembling than doing that
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 12, 2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Bake

First, allow me to say, "Sand in the action is not a shotgun malfunction." When operating a pump, don't slam the gun around. Make complete strokes, but stop at the end of the stroke. Slow up just before you bend or break something.

Maybe some of the "The-Sandbox-Vets" can speak to the "Sand-in-the- Action" problem. I've been told that the M-4 is a lot better that the AR-15/M-16 that I had in Viet Nam. Sand storms were about the only problem I didn't have with that POS.

Last edited by Bake; March 12, 2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old March 12, 2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Sharkbite

Its a mechanical device...it can and WILL malfunction.

Failure to fire
Failure to feed
Failure to extract
Failure to eject

The same as any repeating action.