The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 02:24 AM   #1
riotfolk45acp

Please school me on FNH pistols

So what is all the differences between the fnp fnx and the usg or whatnot ive seen videos on them and they look awsome. I really think im going to get one of these guns I just need to learn a little more on them and I havent found much in my searches about the differences.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:38 AM   #2
thedudeabides

The first two are run of the mill handguns.

The Five SeveN uses the 5.7 x 28mm round, small grain, huge velocity.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
carguychris

The FNP, FNP USG, and FNX are very similar polymer-frame DA/SA handguns with a decocker/safety lever that works both as a decocker when pushed downwards and a "cocked and locked" safety when pushed upwards. These pistols are totally ambidextrous out-of-the-box.

My understanding is that the USG is simply an FNP with a flat dark earth aka "FDE" aka light brown frame.

The FNX is an improved FNP variant with a more deeply textured grip, an internally milled slide to reduce weight, and longer, re-contoured, and slightly repositioned decocker/safety levers that don't have a tendency to take little bites out of some shooters' hands like the original FNP levers do.

The general opinion of these guns is that they're very reliable, reasonably priced, and lightweight compared to most other DA/SA pistols of similar capacity. The versatile combination decocker/safety is a big plus that AFAIK is only offered on a handful of other DA/SA pistols- the H&K USP (more $$$) and the Taurus 24/7 G2 (less $$$ but iffy company reputation). Another plus is that the .45 is available set up for a suppressor, complete with a threaded barrel and taller sights to clear the "can"- the latter is a nice touch. All that being said, I've fired a FNX and was not crazy about it- the grip shape didn't work well for me and I found the decocker/safety levers very intrusive. YMMV.

As thedudeabides said, the Five-seveN is a whole 'nother story; it's not really comparable to any other handgun on the market due to the round it fires and some unconventional design features. This gun has been the topic of numerous past threads that always seem to echo one another- something I pointed out in the following thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480153

Old September 12, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Mystro

The FNX is a awsome pistol. Its right up there next to my HK only the FNX holds more rounds and is more versatile in its design. Its truely a ambidextrous gun without changing anything. They are a bargain for what you get for the money. I would say the FNX has become my favorite polymer pistol.

Old September 21, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5
riotfolk45acp

wow thank you so much for the replies I learned so much!!
Old September 21, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
ChaseReynolds

I have the FNP, the de cocker does not work as a safety and it isn't striker fired. It does feel great in my hand and I almost prefer it more than my M&P.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Yung.gunr

My brother picked up the FNP a couple weeks ago and it's real nice. Like Chase said the FNP does not have a safety, only the decocker. I really like that it is hammer fired, I think I am slowly growing to be a hammerfired guy. If I remember correctly they discontinued the FNP for some reason. Please someone ccorrect me if I am wrong.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8
ChaseReynolds

I believe they did discontinue it. From what I understand, the FNX is the new version of the FNP, that has a decocker and safety. The FNS is the striker fired with a safety. They both come with a rail for mount lights or lasers or whatever you can fit on there.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Bennett

FNP

My FN9 is my favorite handgun, easy to conceal, lighter than my sigs,
amazingly accurate. I like them so will if I see one for sale I try to buy it.
I like my 40 also
Old September 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
dstryr

I really like my FNP40, it is more accurate than I am...most of the time I shoot at 100yd rifle targets at 15-25yds and the combat sights are larger than the target on the paper, so when I cover the target there is usually some inconsistency in groupings. When I shoot at a larger target my groupings get tighter.

I like the decocker w/o safety; do not want to bump it on or have to make ready if god-forbid I need to use it.

One thing that has helped accuracy is pulling snap caps and also decocking between each shot and going DA. The extra effort, repetition, and conditioning on the heavier trigger makes shooting SA more accurate as I am not moving the gun with the trigger pull.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old September 22, 2012, 11:32 AM   #11
mete

FN is the company that has been making the Browning HP and many other fine guns .
Old September 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #12
CUBAN REDNECK

I have an FNP-40. Great pistol, goes bang with just about every kind of ammo. I liked the fact that it was factory shipped with three magazines. It is DA/SA with a de-cocker and works flawlessly.