The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 9, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1
blackdog_507

What kind of AK-47 is the best?

I've been wanting to buy an AK for a long time, but keep pushing it back on the priority list. A simple search of gunbroker will turn up a thousand different types, Yugo, Romanian, Bulgarian, Norinco, IOC, ATI, milled vs stamped, etc. I've handled a few AK's before and with their reputation for reliability and effectiveness, I really think I want to add one to the collection. Any advice on what kinds/types have the best reputation AND value? My local gun shop owner is trying to pedal me a USA made IOC milled receiver version. Are these any good?
Old August 9, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
stubbicatt

Generally speaking you will find that the Kalashnikov is a reliable rifle. After that things change. Without a spring loaded firing pin, one chambered in 223 has a substantial potential of slam fire, IME.

Some have the side rail for Eastern Bloc optics mounting. This is a nice touch, and makes the rifle somewhat more versatile.

Some like the Type 1 through 3's, and if you can find one faithfully built on a US receiver, they can be very nice rifles. Others prefer other milled versions, saying that they tend to be more accurate.

Of the stamped receiver variety, perhaps the Yugo with its RPK trunnion is the most solid, that and the 1.6mm sheet metal.

For what they are they are a fine weapon. Find one you like and give it a try. If it doesn't pan out, there are others.

Not sure what the IOC one is you are looking at, but a photo might help.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3
chris in va

Build up a Saiga, that way you can make it 'yours'.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:21 PM   #4
raftman

Yeah, the nice thing about Saigas is the fit and finish seems to noticeably superior to the Century AK's. Don't get me wrong, I recently bought a Century-assembled WASR 10/63 AK, and it shoots with 100% reliability, just like the Saiga, but the WASR has a ton of rough and sharp edges on the inside compared to the Saiga. Also, the bolt seems to catch on the hammer occasionally with the WASR if you cycle by hand.

One of these days, I will have to compare them side by side for accuracy.
Old August 10, 2010, 04:48 AM   #5
RT

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=350
Old August 10, 2010, 07:17 AM   #6
briang2ad

Raftman:

What about accuracy compared to the Saiga? I think you can nail a WASR for $300 less. You can always 'work' on the WASR. If it functions and accuracy is the same, it fills the niche of the AK.

$700 for a 'nice' AK is still a bunch, when you can walk into a gunshop and walk out with a beatifully finished AR for $750-$850. I just handled a STAG AR which was about $800 even. VERY nice gun which I wouod guess can shoot about twice as accurately.

AKs DO have a place! I'm just not sure they're with it at $700-900 a pop.

ARs are now plenty available for under $1K - and VERY nicely made. I think AK buyers ought to 'wait it out' till their price points come down a bunch...

Last edited by briang2ad; August 10, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old August 10, 2010, 07:17 AM   #7
shredder4286

i have a romanian made ak- i upgraded the wood stock to a synthetic OD green stock that i like much better. i have around 600 rounds through it, no failure to function of any kind. if the russians ever invade, i'll be blastin her out the upstairs window
Old August 10, 2010, 06:36 PM   #8
raftman

Quote:
Raftman:

What about accuracy compared to the Saiga? I think you can nail a WASR for $300 less. You can always 'work' on the WASR. If it functions and accuracy is the same, it fills the niche of the AK.
I haven't shot them in a side by side comparison for accuracy. I've only had my WASR 10/63 a couple of weeks and have had only one opportunity to shoot it at all, so I was mainly concerned with function. My initial impression is that the Saiga is probably a bit more accurate, but I won't have the opportunity to determine that for certain for a few more days.

As far as the cost of Saigas goes, that really depends on how "true" of an AK you want it to be. A factory Saiga is actually $50+ cheaper than a WASR, and only gets more expensive if you want to convert it, or buy an already-converted Saiga, like those by Arsenal. I personally didn't do a full-on conversion for mine, and only altered it enough to be 922R compliant with 30-round magazines... and I changed the stock to the skeleton stock, but that's just for looks. So cost-wise it's probably about equal with my 10/63, but is a noticeably better-made rifle.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:51 PM   #9
EdInk

Best bang for the buck for overall quality, accuracy, finish is a stamped receiver Arsenal model.
Old August 10, 2010, 10:09 PM   #10
essohbe

What kind is "best" depends on how you define "best" and for what use.

They all do the same things, to me.

My GP-63 is surprisingly accurate. They have the chrome barrels too.
If you don't want to spend a ton of money then try and get one of those, maybe one you can inspect first. Typically, as per owners' feedback, they have been better than the GP75's but I haven't been exposed to one of them myself.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:37 PM   #11
briang2ad

Is a GP63 just a WASR 10?

How accurate is your WASR???

I'd say if it shoots a 3-4" group at 100 yards, it is likely fulfilling the role of a Arsenal...
Old August 11, 2010, 09:00 PM   #12
TylerD45ACP

I had a WASR 10 and it wasn't shooting 4" inch groups at 100yds. More like 8" groups from three different shooter so we knew that was what it was relativley capable of. I would vote for whoever was talking about Saigas , they seem to be close to the best. My WASR 10 was $300 even as well yes. It is cheap, I did not expect superb accuracy.
Old August 11, 2010, 09:33 PM   #13
gandog56

The best one is the one I'm firing at the time.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Teirst

If you really want a NICE AK might as well buy a polytech. They have the infamous "Pre-Ban" and they are a limited quantity so the value can only go up.

Granted you could buy an AR for the same price however you asked for the "BEST" ak
Old August 12, 2010, 01:51 AM   #15
Mosin44az

Of the readily available brands, Arsenal is the best in my experience.

Krebs sounds cool, but haven't seen any.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:09 AM   #16
blueorb

Don't know how you can go wrong for a WASR for a first AK. They are cheap, reliable and, like was already said, they are extremely easy to work on (or as most would consider it..playing with). You can customize it to your liking for not much money.
Mine shoots 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards which is plenty good for me. It's a fun toy that goes bang and blows stuff up.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:16 AM   #17
SR420

Quote:
What kind of AK-47 is the best?
One that is loaded.

My personal favorite is the pre-ban Norinco that I own.
I prefer the stamped receiver.

Last edited by SR420; August 12, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Lashlarue

Any, with a milled receiver will give you AK reliability and AR accuracy.I had a millled Norinco(Chinese) with a 20" barrel, would shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yds.Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse $750,for a rifle that I paid only $139 in 1990.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:45 AM   #19
Teirst

I think it is a problem that many view the AK as inferior to the AR. The phrase "if I am going to spend that much I might as well buy an AR" turns up a lot in these topics, and it always will as long as we have people that see the AK as an inferior platform.
Old August 12, 2010, 02:39 PM   #20
HistoryJunky

About AK accuracy

Because this applies to the thread, I have a question for those of you who are knowledgeable about AKs and such.

I've heard a lot of talk about receiver thickness helping out potential accuracy for AKMs. I know that there is 1.0mm, 1.5mm, and 1.6mm receivers out there. I was just wondering if there might be any validity to this claim that a thicker stamped receiver might help the gun be more accurate. The claim is that the thicker receiver "flexes" less than a thinner receiver.
Old August 12, 2010, 07:20 PM   #21
seed

I wish I knew you Lashlarue when you still had that milled Norinco! Even though you made a lot more than you paid for it, you still sold it for a very low price in today's world.
Old August 12, 2010, 08:03 PM   #22
igor

The Mercedes of the AK world come from Finland. Find a SAKO 92S if you can - it will be easier to get a Valmet 76 though, since those were exported to the US in some quantity.

Galils come in a close second. And, if SIGs count as an AK, they would probably trump all of the above...

What will probably be readily available, though, will be the milled receiver Bulgarian Arsenals with their supremely sturdy polymer mags. They are excellent guns and a much better value than any of the above.

Because when all is said and done, it's still an AK.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old August 13, 2010, 09:46 AM   #23
Katophract

The VZ's are a good option as well. Not an AK, but a great gun. I have a WASR and has never failed me. I'd say, it depends on you budget. If you can afford an Arsenal, get one. Perhaps there's some long term effects that the lesser WASR make will have problems with down the road, but I've never heard of it. Saiga is also a good choice. (I've noticed that even in threads where people say "please don't suggest an AR, that's not what I'm looking for", people need to suggest an AR. Personal pet peeve. Sorry.)
Old August 13, 2010, 10:02 AM   #24
IM_Lugger

this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m4.jpg (171.1 KB, 3529 views)
Old August 13, 2010, 10:12 AM   #25
SR420

Quote:
IM_Lugger this one
:barf:

Tags
7.62 , 7.62x39 , ak-47