The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 25, 2012, 12:10 AM   #26
chris in va

Don't go so thin you can't shoot the darn thing. Some of the latest crop are the size of a credit card and darn near useless over five yards.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:55 AM   #27
rightside

Don't discount the Taurus 709 Slim due to internet reviews. It's a fine little gun. I've fed several types of FMJ and hollow points of 4 different weights and shapes , including the 147's thru it without a single problem. It IS slim, and handles differently so you have to practice with it to get used to the way it shoots, but it's worth it, IMO. I love the little gun and never go anywhere without it. Rides in an ACE pocket holster in my back pocket. Doesn't print and I hardly know it's there.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #28
Dashunde

Another vote for the PM9/CM9.
Fantastic shooting little pistol.
Long proven history.
Still the smallest without big compromises.
The trigger is hard to beat.
I could go on and on....

And the icing is the CM9's price.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:34 AM   #29
MLeake

chris in va, I haven't shot the Nano. I have shot the PM9 and MK9, PPS, and M&Pc (not Shield).

Forget 5 yards. If a shooter can't keep all or most shots between the 8s on a B27 at 25 yards, it is the shooter, not the gun.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #30
tristar viper

Maybe what Chris in VA meant also was that as these guns get smaller and lighter, the recoil makes good follow up shots almost impossible to do real quick. I experienced that myself with the XDS in .45.....darn thing flipped so bad it was 3-4 seconds between shots to get it all lined up again and do a reasonable group of shots. I fear that in a panic situation with something like that there would be bullets spraying everywhere.....
And that is exactly why I tell everyone that brings this subject up, the Glock 19 is the perfect carry gun, and I better preface that by saying IN MY OPINION. It's light, it's accurate, 2x the round holding capacity of these thin guns, it's bulletproof (gen 3) from a reliability standpoint, and follow up shots with it are a breeze even with stock Glock sights.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:59 AM   #31
MLeake

This is why I prefer the P7 over the PPS, the PPS over the MK9, and the MK9 over the PM9.

I don't pocket carry (except for my 442), and any of those hide easily IWB. The MK9's weight makes it easier for quick shooting than the PM9. The PPS with large backstrap fits my hand better than the Kahrs do. The P7 has good ergos for me, plus all-metal weight, plus a very low bore axis.

Only downside to the P7 is that in extended range sessions, the trigger guard gets hot, enough to induce flinch (after 50 rounds or so; not a concern for SD, and if I want more trigger time at the range I alternate between guns).
Old December 25, 2012, 12:11 PM   #32
hodaka

Are you familiar with a Makarov? A 9mm of a sort but not Parabellum, very thin, accurate and reliable. I switch carry pistols between a Mak and an HK P7. I like both.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:51 PM   #33
ShipWreck

I've ones many subcompacts over the years. The shield is my all time favorite. I even have two of them now. Great gun.
Old December 25, 2012, 03:41 PM   #34
mudgun83

Thin 9MM

Take a look at the Sig P938. All metal, 1911 ergonomics, 1" thick, about 20 oz or so loaded.
Old December 25, 2012, 03:49 PM   #35
uradaisyifudo

Give the ruger src9 a good look, nice thin manageable grips, good trigger (but I am not a trigger snob by any stretch) adjustable sights, different capacity carry options and not a micro carry gun, reasonably priced too IMO.

Last edited by uradaisyifudo; December 26, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: not lc9...src
Old December 25, 2012, 05:37 PM   #36
Coltman 77

PPS has been on the market for years and is one of the most respected handguns on all the internet gun forums.
(Do some Google research if you don't believe me. )

And for good reason, Walther hit it out of the park with this design. It's one of the finest production pistols in the world IMO.

I've had one for four years, put every kind of 9mm ammo you can imagine through it with only a few hiccups after 3700 rds.

The PPS has good ergos, balances well, points naturally is super accurate and easy to shoot well.

If you need to save a few more dollars for one, do it.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 25, 2012, 06:43 PM   #37
KyJim

I chose the Kahr CM9 and have been pleased with it. Small enough for pocket carry. If that's not important, maybe the Kahr CW9 which is slightly larger. Nothing against any of the other pistols mentioned.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:03 PM   #38
arizona98tj

Quote:
Don't go so thin you can't shoot the darn thing. Some of the latest crop are the size of a credit card and darn near useless over five yards.
Very true indeed. It is for that reason I selected the Kahr PM9. It is very shootable to say the least. This target is from a failure to stop drill I was running some time ago. If the PM9 is too pricey, then take a look at the CM9. Same size, same performance, but with a few things done to lower the price point.

Old December 25, 2012, 09:06 PM   #39
godawgs82

Small 9mm's

Pocket carry 9mm's: Kel Tec PF9, Kahr PM9/CM9, or Kimber Solo. I own the PF9 and Solo and have had ZERO problems with either of them.

Barely pocket carry: Walther PPS, MP Shield. I prefer the PPS....great trigger and easily concealable (IWB)
Old December 25, 2012, 09:14 PM   #40
RetiredMajor

Quote:
Forget 5 yards. If a shooter can't keep all or most shots between the 8s on a B27 at 25 yards, it is the shooter, not the gun.
Today 10:02 AM
If you are shooting someone at 25 yards in a self defense scenario you are going to be hung out to dry. The vast majority of self defense scenarios happen close, fast and fierce. Most begin at conversation distance. These very small guns, with 3 inch barrels (more or less) are made for "across the room" distances. The Kahr PM9 is my choice and is my every day carry.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:33 PM   #41
MLeake

If you can hit a target at 25 yards, you can hit it at 5 yards. The reverse may not be true. More accuracy is better.

Will you be "hung out to dry" over a 25 yard shooting? Depends on totality of circumstances. If the other actor has shown intent to harm, has a weapon that can do harm from 25 yards, and a safe lane of retreat is not a relatively sure thing, then shooting at 25 yards is justifiable in any US jurisdiction.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:52 PM   #42
RetiredMajor

Quote:
If you can hit a target at 25 yards, you can hit it at 5 yards. The reverse may not be true. More accuracy is better.
Not true at all. If you don't train for close distance shooting, you won't be proficient at it. You should train as you will fight. The best strategy for training for self defense is to train at short distances starting with contact distance and then moving back in very short increments. Could a 25 yard encounter happen....sure...and you could win the lottery, too. Odds are any encounter will be close, fast and fierce........within conversation distance. That is how you should spend the vast majority of time training. Block, strike, push, step back and try to gain some distance, then fire using point firing. You may never get to use the sights in a real encounter. Go ahead and plink an occasional 25 yard shot, but spend the rest of the time up close. If you don't train at close fighting, you'll suck at it. If you think you'll have time to line up the sights, control your breathing, get a good stance, etc, etc, etc, you're fooling yourself. In most cases you'll be lucky to draw the gun and point it in the right direction as someone is choking you or pushing you to the ground to wail on you. It's OK if you want to take that risk, but this site draws a lot of new shooters and folks who are new to defensive pistol craft. Talking about 25 yard defensive shots or telling people that if they can hit the target at 25 yards then they can hit at close distance is foolish. Train as you will fight!

Last edited by Tom Servo; December 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Language
Old December 26, 2012, 12:29 AM   #43
bonefamily

TeamJackson - Why are you ruling the PF-9 out? I notice you are trying to keep the cost down and the PF-9 seems to fit your criteria perfectly for being slim and low cost...
Old December 26, 2012, 11:32 PM   #44
Rjeezie

Quote:
If the PM9 is too pricey, then take a look at the CM9. Same size, same performance, but with a few things done to lower the price point.

Whats the difference between the 2?
Old December 26, 2012, 11:36 PM   #45
MLeake

Fit, finish, and size.

The CM9 is a bargain line, and is slightly longer and larger.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:46 AM   #46
DHart

I've had a PM9 for a number of years... Excellent little gun. And I recently picked up a P938 Nightmare... Also an excellent little gun.

It's better to have a gun like this than none at all, but I would never consider these pocket nines to be adequate primary defense weapons. While better than nothing, there is nothing like a G19 or comparable weapon when the chips are down and you only have a handgun to see you through.

Remember the reason you carry a gun.... to help you face up to the worst evil in your darkest hour; carry more gun/capacity whenever possible! If you have to pull a gun in self defense, you will be wishing, hoping, praying to have a highly shoot able gun with high capacity in reserve. You don't want to find yourself at slide lock (because carrying a very small gun was more 'convenient') when evil is in front of you and still reigning terror on you.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:02 AM   #47
Hairbag

PPS or Kahr
Old December 27, 2012, 11:05 AM   #48
MLeake

Correction to post 48

Sorry, I was thinking of the CW9, which is a half inch longer. CM9 is the same size as the PM9, but has the slide profile of a shorter CW9. Not sure if the CM9 will fit a tightly formed PM9 holster.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:30 PM   #49
Fargazer

Of the two (Nano and Shield), I'd pick the Shield - better trigger, better feel in the hand. As far as other alternatives mentioned here:
  • Walther PPS (my primary carry) - size of the Shield, long proven track record, more expensive on both initial gun and magazines. Worth saving for if price is the only thing preventing its purchase.
  • Ruger LC9 - good size, good feel, very reliable, long stiff trigger. The trigger does not preclude accuracy, but you have to practice with it more. I owned one, and sold it.
  • Sig Sauer P938 - A friend loves his; however, he cautions that it takes a break in period before he considers it reliable.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:42 PM   #50
BigD_in_FL

The CM9 and the PM9 are the same size.
Others to consider would be the Boberg and Rohrbaugh