The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 25, 2011, 03:36 PM   #1
PawPaw

Hornady A-Max for hunting

I've just come into possession of some Hornady A-Max bullets, in both .243 105 grain and .308 168 grain.

I can't find anything on the Hornady site, but I'm fairly certain that if I whack one of our smallish (under 200 lbs) deer with a 168 grain bullet, he'll fold up like a cheap pocketknife.

However, I'm wondering if that .243 105 grain bullet would be okay for those same small deer?

I understand that placement is everything, you've got to put the bullet where it counts, but I'm wondering about the construction of those A-Max mullets. What say ye?

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 25, 2011, 03:55 PM   #2
BombthePeasants

I can't answer for the smaller bullets, but according to the Hornady 7th Edition manual, it states the 168gr A-MAX is suitable for up to medium game. I cannot imagine anything other than a mutant alligator would shrug off a 168gr. A-MAX here in our part of the world.

I loaded up many .30-06 rounds w/ that exact bullet for my M1's, and plan on using them for my next hunting escapade, whenever that may be...
Old May 25, 2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Doyle

I had been wondering the same thing since the bullet I want (129grn SST 6.5mm) has been backordered for months at every dealer. So, I did some internet searching and found that people who had used them reported dead deer but with extreme tissue damage. Seems that the jacket they use on them is the same as for the V-Max and it tends to explode on impact. Since I like to eat the hogs and deer I kill, I decided to pass on the A-max bullets.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

The guys I know around Missouri that shoot .243 at deer use 90-100 grain bullets and have a lot of success. I can guess that the 105 grain a-max would work equally well. As someone pointed out earlier shot placement is very important regardless of the bullet/caliber.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
LSnSC

Ive used them in a 308 and 300 WSM to to shoot several deer on a nuisance permit eating our soybeans in the summer. The 168's worked fine on the does (no bucks allowed) I shot. The bullets usually fragmented with the the biggest part under the offside hide. I shot deer from point blank to 500yds. Sierra SMK's worked just as well.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:51 AM   #6
sc928porsche

Although Sierra does not recommend their Matchkings for game, I have used them successfully or decades. I hunt primarily with a 300WM using 150gr for deer and 180gr for elk. Be advised though....boiler room shots only. Full penetration has never been a problem up to 300yds. However, massive internal damage is done and the exit wound is usually quite large. Hitting a sholder means loss of complete sholder for any consumption.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:23 AM   #7
bamaranger

match bullets

I wouldn't hesitate to use the .30 cal stuff, but for deer and a .243, I'm a fan of the Nosler partition.

Bamaboy is killing deer every season now with .243 and 100 grain Nosler partitions. Every once in a while I hear a story about deer hit well w/ .243 and the deer escapes. Bad shot, maybe, or bad bullet perhaps. There are a lot of guys around here that are using varmint weight slugs in .243 for deer, and geting away w/ it, but I cannot endorse the practice.

The .243 is not really marginal for deer, but it is not the equal of other, bigger ctgs either. I would not court trouble and use a match (or varmint )bullet in a "light" deer ctg.
Old June 4, 2011, 12:34 AM   #8
BIG P

I've used A max in 223 & 243 as well they work just fine on deer to 150Lb.never used passed 150yds but inside that they do a good job.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:55 PM   #9
GeauxTide

From Hornady's Site

Quote:
These bullets are not recommended for hunting medium and large game.
The A-Max series were designed for target and vermin.
Old June 11, 2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Outlaw81

Go for it! That bullet is almost the same as an accubond! In a .243 the hydrostatic shock is gonna kill em no matter what you hit em with anyway!