The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2004, 10:58 PM   #1
zeeker

Seeking good gunsmith in Canada

im a new member and was wondering if anyone can recomend a good gunsmith?
Old December 20, 2004, 11:41 PM   #2
bill k

What state?
Old December 20, 2004, 11:53 PM   #3
zeeker

zeeker

i live in canada but looking for a good gunsmith that can rebuild the bolt face for my rifle
Old December 22, 2004, 02:01 AM   #4
aussie bob

G'day Zeeker,

As you are a new member (newbie) I will make a few suggestions to you about forums like this one.

You are presenting your question/problem/idea to a large audience eg I am in Australia and you are in Canada. It is important that in your title you give the forum members a reason to look at your posting. I do not look at all - only those that interest me and my shooting. As a Firearm Safety Awareness Officer in Australia I do look at newbie questions as well as the other postings.

People get sick of having to keep asking questions to find out what you really meant to say. Let me give you an example of how I would have posted my version of your question.

Title: Newbie needs referral to a gunsmith in the XXX area.
Message: I have a YYYY rifle and have a problem with the bolt face. It was damaged when .......... I think it will need to go to a gunsmith for repair but don't know who could handle this work. Do you have any recommendations or any other ideas that could help fix this rifle? The rifle is worth a lot to me so I don't mind if I have to spend a bit to get it fixed or The rifle is not worth much so I do not want to spend a lot on it.

Get the idea. Try and anticipate the questions others would ask you if you were talking to them on the phone and write them out in the message. You cannot expect to get good answers if people trying to assist you have to extract everything one item at a time.

Keep asking for help if you need it. You will enjoy the sport more as your knowledge increases and you may well be a lot safer not only for yourself but for others as well. No one on this forum will refuse help if you do your bit.

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob
Old December 30, 2004, 08:02 AM   #5
Radagast

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/

That's the canadian gun forum and your best chance of getting steared to a local gunsmith.
Old January 2, 2005, 02:14 AM   #6
Smokey Joe

Welcome!

Good to have y'aboard, Zeeker! I had some other comments 'til I read Aussie Bob's reply, above. So I'll just say Amen, and again, welcome!

--Smokey Joe
Old January 2, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Welcome to TFL, zeeker!

I'll help you out with the thread title (which originally read "new member" for the curious among us) and the thread location (was originally in Rifles). I think the General Discussion forum would be better in this case since this is an intro.

Last time I looked, Canada is the largest country in the Americas. So if you let us know where in Canada you live, that would be a big help to our
Canadian members who would want to help.