The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 16, 2014, 04:10 PM   #51
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
What model of Mossberg semi-auto shotgun has an adjustable stock? On their website, it looks like the Mossberg 930 SPX-8 has a fixed stock.
It is fixed. But, you pull the stock off and slip any of several included shims on it adjusting for rise or drop, whichever you need.
Old February 16, 2014, 09:29 PM   #52
leadcounsel

I have a wide variety, but generally like relatively simple setups. Semi-autos, pumps, SxS... they should have a flashlight, and extra ammo, and be reliable.

I don't need lasers or Eotechs on a system that would never be used out to beyond 10-20 yards.

Lightweight, easy to maneuver and familiar controls will win the day.
Old February 18, 2014, 02:55 PM   #53
Dragline45

I prefer the Mossberg 18.5" 500/590 for a SD shotgun over the 870 due to it's dual extractors and lighter weight. I plan on getting a Hogue 12" LOP stock at some point to make mine shorter and handier around the house. Another thing I prefer about the Mossberg over the 870 is the safety location.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:05 PM   #54
Unlicensed Dremel

So the NEF Pardner is made by Norinco?
Old February 25, 2014, 11:06 PM   #55
nanewt02

NEF makes a 10 ga,
cut that down to 18 inches and you are good to go
dont forget to take out the recoil reducer for extra fun
Old February 25, 2014, 11:23 PM   #56
BlueSmoke14

Yes...

The H&R 1871 Pardner Pump receiver is made by a division on Norinco called Hawk Industries.

The barrels are made by Remington.

The guns run smoothly.

See the video......

http://youtu.be/qpUccToeLjU
Old March 9, 2014, 11:12 PM   #57
KyJim

I'm in the process of acquiring a Mossberg 500 SPX with the AR style stock and ghost ring sights. I picked this gun because I've owned a Mossberg 500 with brass bead front sight and straight stock so was familiar with the controls, etc. I have short arms so the standard stock is really too long for me. A shorter or adjustable stock will help me shoot it better. I also wanted the ghost ring sights for the same reason. Rather than buying accessories for the Mossy I now own, I figured it wouldn't be a lot more just to buy a new gun.

As far as having to shift the hand off the grip to move the safety, that's not a big deal for my purposes. I'm not a three gunner. I am going to keep the safety off (and no round in the chamber).

I tried the gun (non-firing) and liked the way it felt. This solution is not for everyone but I'm hoping it will work for me.
Old March 15, 2014, 12:02 AM   #58
BigBL87

I was recently making a very similar decision and I ended up buying a Mossberg 500 Home/Field Combo. It comes with an 18.5" home defense barrel and a 28" vent ribbed field barrel, which means its almost like having 2 shotguns in one. Barrels can be changed in under a minute easy.

I considered the Pardner and Stevens 320, but parts availability for the Mossberg won me over. The Stevens 320 got a long look because you can get a similar combo to the Mossberg for just $250ish whereas I paid around $375 for mine. But, the Stevens 320 has had issues with the welds breaking at the fore end and making it unable to cycle. I've heard they have fixed the issue but still made me nervous and the question of parts availability clinched my choice of the Mossberg.
Old March 16, 2014, 09:16 AM   #59
WV_gunner

Rossi Circuit Judge
They come in a few different sizes, .410 and 28 gauge are available. I have a .45/.410 model and love it. Light and compact but doesn't feel like a small gun when you aim, I think Rossi really made a great gun. I have shot mine alot, I have not had one issue with it. My only complaint is its made when you eject the shells the stock holds the plug in if you use it. Good for hunting, but without the plug in, that means you have to rotate the cylinder to empty it completely. Some woodwork takes care of it. It holds 5 shots and you can shoot it as fast as a semi auto but without the worries of it jamming or not cycling. I got mine as soon as they were realeased. For home defense I like the idea of Federal 3 inch 000 or lately I've been using .45 Colt Hornady LeveRevolution. With 000 you can get all 5 pellots in a gallon jug at 15 yards. With .45 Colt it's as accurate as open sights can be. It does come with a tube for shotgun shells and a tube for bullets. The tube for bullets is smooth and is a bigger hole than the rifling. I believe the theory of the shotgun tube is a gimmick, it's rifled to get the pattern to spread. I have only used the smooth tube, and have no complaints. It patterns pretty tight at 15 yards. I've shot pdxi, 000, and birdshot through it, absolutely no problems. I highly recommend this gun. Yes, .410 isn't the most powerful round, but 5 .36 caliber pellots ought to do some damage. It puts a nice hole in a gallon of ice. Plus there's the 28 gauge version if you want a little more power.
Old March 18, 2014, 12:54 PM   #60
Machineguntony

The Benelli M4 shotgun. If it's good enough for the marines, it is good enough for us.