The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 5, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Jay24bal

Help Needed For a Mossberg 930 Part...

I recently acquired a slightly used (literally looks like less than 50 rounds through it) Mossberg 930. It is in great shape and everything seems to be in order, except that it is missing a spring.

I do not know what to call the spring as it is not identified in the schematics of the gun. This is so because it is part of the trigger housing assembly which is just identified as the group. What I can tell you is that the spring fits over the loaded chamber indicator inside a plunger within the trigger housing assembly and it is yellow in color (I know this because I went to my LGS and we tore down a new one on the shelf to identify the part) that slides in under the sear.

When I called Mossberg to order the part, I was told they will not ship me the spring as it is a "restricted part" since it is part of the trigger housing assembly. I was told to either ship them the gun and they will install the part, or take it to a gunsmith and they will sell the part to a "certified gunsmith" with an FFL license. So I went back to my LGS where they have a gunsmith on staff, and he attempted to order the part. They WOULD NOT sell it to him. He has been a gunsmith for over 30 years and also served that role as a Marine during his time in the service. Apparently, Mossberg's definition of "certified gunsmith" means that you have to be certified by THEM on their firearms. So I stopped in at the two other gunsmiths in town and neither of them could acquire the spring for me. So now my only option seems to be to pay to ship the gun to and from Mossberg all to acquire likely a $3 spring.

I'm hoping one of you guys knows of somewhere to find the spring elsewhere so that I don't have to through the hassle and expense of shipping them my gun. I have searched every online gun parts shop I can find and have had no luck. The local smiths could not find the part in their catalogs either, they just ended up calling Mossberg. I know this may be a needle in a haystack since both I and the smiths have looked for it, but I figured it worth a shot before I have to spend the $$ to ship it back and forth.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

p.s. I put this in the Gunsmithing Forum instead of the Shotgun Forum. Mods - please feel free to move it if you feel this is better suited in the scattergun forum.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "