The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Coop de Ville

How to hunt in Ohio?

I have an 870P 20" with rifle sights that patterns and shoots KO's well.

I will be hunting whitetail this fall with a friend in his home state of Ohio, and so, must use a SG. I am trying to figure out the best route to go. His and his family setups are 20 ga. scoped rifled bores and he tells me they take deer between 100 and 125 yards. I am not convinced that I can take them past 50 or 75 with my setup.

I was looking at two options.

1) Practice, add a set of ghostrings, and not take distance shots I can't make

or

2) But something like the H&R slugger and put a scope on it.

Also, what would be an affordable scope/red dot?

I really want to stick with 12ga. and smooth bore... the H&R is rifled bore.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Yes, budget is my main concern.

Best, COOP
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old July 15, 2004, 09:35 PM   #2
1S1K

I use a 18" 870 with just the front bead. It is good for about 75yds. Most of the deer I have shot with it have been betwine 20 and 50yds. You can use a mussel loader for deer. What part of the state are you going to hunt.

Bill
Old July 16, 2004, 04:38 PM   #3
Coop de Ville

It will be a suburb of Columbus.

I really like my 870P and like the idea o using this one gun for all my tasks.

What's funny....

I bought the Speedeed 4, Giles tac sling, side saddle, and butt stock shell holder (it held 19 rounds at one time )

I put the original wood back on and took off the accessories. I think it looks better this way.

I am thinking about better sights, though. The factory ones are pretty rough.
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old July 17, 2004, 01:18 AM   #4
1S1K

Your slug gun can olny hold 3 rnds in Ohio.

Bill
Old July 17, 2004, 05:24 AM   #5
Coop de Ville

I was planning on puting a wood dowel in the tube and make it a single shot.
Old July 17, 2004, 10:05 PM   #6
1S1K

a friend of mine started using an H&R brake action with a scope on it when they changed the rulles. He has done well with that set up.

Bill
Old July 19, 2004, 03:18 PM   #7
fireguymike

You can try one of those saddle mounts, that slide over the receiver. I have used one on a Win. 1200 smooth bore with Breneke 2 3/4" shells with an inexpensive Bushnell 4 power and it was more than accurate for 100 yard shooting.
Old August 10, 2004, 10:27 AM   #8
General_Tso

I use an 870 20ga with a saddle mount and a Bushnell Holosight. I'm not crazy about the holosight, because I had to send it back after it malfunctioned in the field and dealing with Bushnell was a hassel. However, a reliable red dot is great in low light and bad weather--which is a fact of life in Ohio. (That said, I will be handgun hunting this season.)

"Now, you know why they call me 'Dirty Harry': Every dirty job that comes along."
Old August 11, 2004, 07:48 AM   #9
Coop de Ville

Thanks for all the help.

I've decided to have a smith install the track-loks and reparkerize.

Any other ghost ring makes I should look at?

Best, Coop