The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2001, 05:44 PM   #1
Monkeyleg

I used the letter "T" because I'm sick of everything being called, well, you know.

Anyway, I missed out on a Surefire 617 for a Benelli M1S90 here on TFL. It was selling for $125. Was that a good price? I'm in no big hurry to buy one--don't even know if I want one--but if a deal presents itself, better to know whether it's a deal or not.

Thanks for any reply.

Dick
Old February 15, 2001, 09:45 AM   #2
jthuang

Yes, definitely a good price. You may want to check Maricopa Tactical's custom shop web site, they have decent prices on Responders.

Justin
Old February 15, 2001, 03:15 PM   #3
jthuang

As a followup, ASPILA also has good prices on Responders.

http://www.aspila.com/surefire/tactshot.htm

Justin
Old February 15, 2001, 07:11 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

Thanks, folks. Lagger Pro's price is $205. There's a guy on gunsamerica.com auctioning one off, and the bid is up to $105 already. He claims he paid $375. Unreal.

Dick
Old February 17, 2001, 12:00 AM   #5
Romulus

Proverbial "dumb" question: given that Surefire makes a universal mount, why couldn't I simply stick a $20.00 Maglite on the thing...show me a finer manufactured product than Maglite and I'll capitulate...

And I'm sure a Maglite could be rigged so you can turn it on/off remotely...

Just axin'
Old February 17, 2001, 10:46 PM   #6
Coronach

Well...are we talking minimag or a full-size mag light? The fullsize is rather heavy and will make your SG handle like a pregnant walrus, and the minimag is, well, mini.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 17, 2001, 10:56 PM   #7
Romulus

he he

Pregnant walrus...excellent

Coronach, Maglite makes a middle-of-the-road C cell light, not a mini and not a walrus either.

But I'm merely thinking out loud...it may be a Rube Goldberg pipe dream.

Surefire: $250.00 for a flashlight?!!!!!

Madre de Dio...!!!!
Old February 18, 2001, 04:54 PM   #8
Romulus

I've wondered about the light on the forearm...why is that a choice location, wouldn't it be distracting to pump and see the light change position and intensity during the stroke?

Just axin'
Old February 18, 2001, 05:09 PM   #9
Romulus

Actually, I just thought of something more critical and controversial. I keep hearing in tactispeak about reporting and telegraphing and things like that...that's why while racking the slide might get Jose' to put his skates on, he might also be alerted to your location and etcetera etcetera...

Well wouldn't a tactical light telegraph your location even better. Actually pinpoint your location, and turn you into a readily identifiable target?

Might be better using the "Force"...
Old February 19, 2001, 12:17 PM   #10
jthuang

In addition to Erick's comments, the Surefire weaponlights are much more recoil-proof than the MagLites. I have abused my fair share of MagLites (6D, 2D, 2AA) but the recoil of a 12 gauge can do some serious damage to a light, especially to a light that is going to be used in a life-or-death situation.

First, the Surefire weaponlights incorporate a shock-proof bezel, which uses a rubber grommet around the lamp to cushion the impact of the lamp against the lens or bezel. Without this grommet, the lamp can fail when it slams up against the bezel during recoil.

Second, the Surefire battery housing features a machined "shoulder" between the battery compartment and the lamp unit. Without this shoulder, the batteries can slam forward into the lamp unit, causing failure.

Third, the shrink-wrapped DL123AC unit used in the 6V Surefire Responders prevents the batteries from slamming against each other. The DL123AC uses a shock-buffer sandwich between the batteries and special contacts at the ultimate positive and negative terminals to protect the battery. Without this feature, the batteries can crunch into each other or the contacts with the lights, causing failure.

The MagLites do not incorporate any of the above features.

A weapon-mounted light on a longarm is essential, IMHO. Yes it can telegraph your position if used improperly. Proper training will fix that pronto.

Even assuming that a weaponlight would telegraph your location, I'd still opt for a light. Rule #3 (know your target and what is beyond it) applies in any situation, regardless of lighting.

Hope this helps,

Justin
Old February 19, 2001, 01:55 PM   #11
Romulus

Jthuang and Erick, what you've said makes eminent sense - one I should have realized on my own, "know your target and what lies beyond." Shame on me

I also agree that single person house clearing is a bad idea (certainly would be in my case, I'm not GI Joe, just Joe Citizen protecting wife and kids.)

Barricade + cel phone sounds like a good defensive posture for the "tactically challenged..."