The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Jerry45

Wolf v Tula primers.

I'm getting ready to make another order from Powder Vally. Service was grate last time and prices are good. However, I want(ed) Wolf primers for the wife's .223 and Powder Vally doesn't list Wolf. I have the .223 shooting 1/2 MOA or less and don't really want to change primers... But I'm not paying HASMAT for just 1000/2000 primers from another company.

Powder Vally sells Tula primers. I telephoned but they're closed on the weekend (Can't blame them for that!).

I did a little internet research and did nothing but get confused. According to what I've read Wolf and Tula are "the same primers" but one "is a harder primer" than the other . They're the same but different.

So once again I need some help. Does anyone know if they are same primers or not? If not I'll I just switch to Winchester and forget about it? I use Winchester in everything else I load.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Don P

I am using Tula in my 9 mm and to date no issue. Just make sure you seat them fully like all primers. Factory gun, springs, and no issues. They come out of the same factory with different packaging
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Jerry45

Not trying to be a smart arss here, but Winchester LR and LMR primers come out of the same factory but as we both know they are two different primers. So hopefully you can tell me, are the Tula made of the same material (copper colored) and the same chemical mix and quantity? If I were only ordering 100 primers I'd just buy some an see.

Last edited by Jerry45; May 26, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4
mikld

Would it matter if one primer is indeed "harder" than the other? Do you have a gun that delivers light primer strikes? I understand not wanting to change components on an already good load, but that would only mean working up again (AKA fun!). But, I've not heard/read of Tula and Wolf primers being different "hardness".
Old May 26, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Jerry45

Actually I am concerned about hardness. A little! First (Savage .223) I purchased for my wife went back after the first range session because of light primer strikes (failure to ignite) and failures to eject. Used two different brands of factory ammo and my reloads. Had problems with all three. BOY WAS SHE PO'ed! I really felt sorry for the guy at Cebellas. She read him the riot act about how she never had a bigger piece of crap than this Savage and she'd never buy another one. He went in back and got a new one and asked if she'd be willing to except an exchange. She did! She's happy! New one hasn't exhibited either problem. But why tempt faith? I really don't want to tell her I have to works up another load after I finally got the right combination for her. She's really, I mean really happy after putting numerous bullets in the same hole at 100 yards on our trip to the range last Thursday.

Last edited by Jerry45; May 26, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Jimro

Jerry, the model numbers are the same between Tula and Wolf, so it is my assumption that they are the same primers in different packaging. I do not know that for sure though.

Jimro
Old May 26, 2012, 08:08 PM   #7
slugoo

I don't see any difference between tula and wolf, I've used both for the last 2 years in 9mm and 38 hand guns, even used up 3000 wolf small rifle primers in 9mm and 38. The primers that I've noticed that could be a little harder than the others are CCI, of the 3000 wolf small rifle primers I only had one fail to fire and I was tickled pink with that. I've never had a tula fail to fire, couple of winchester and a few cci but tula has been great. Charlie
Old May 26, 2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Jerry45

Thanks for the help guys I just ordered some TUL 223 PRIMERS (KVB223M).
Old May 26, 2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Sport45

With a 1/2 MOA rifle/load combination you may have to tweak the load when changing lot numbers of the same component. Consider changing from Wolf to Tula (or any other primer) to be no different.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
oldreloader

When I questioned Powder Valley about the difference between Wolf and Tula small pistol primers I was told it was the same primer but a different distributor.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:28 PM   #11
browninghunter86

I am using the TULA kvb5.56M and have shot almost 300 and no problems. Ordered mine with alot of other goodies from PVI and will be purchasing more stuff through them again!!!
Old May 27, 2012, 12:33 AM   #12
Jerry45

What I'm curious about now is what the differences are between the .223 the SR Magnum the 5.56M and just plain old SR primers? I figured I wouldn't go wrong with the .223 since they are for .223. But I don't believe it would make that much difference if I got the SR Magnum or even regular SR primers for use in a bolt gun. The Wolf primers I have now don't say .223 or magnum and they have been 100 %. I've even shot some in the AR.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:40 PM   #13
browninghunter86

from others I was advised to use the kvb5.56m in ar platforms. Reduced risk of slam fires.......TIFWIW

That is what I am shooting mine out of
Old May 30, 2012, 12:19 AM   #14
mrawesome22

Call Wolf/Tula.

Why was she mad at Cabelas salesman He didn't make the gun. Or did he?

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #15
serf 'rett

Guy with Wolf said both are made in same plant. Might be some difference in inspection process since Wolf has 100% performance warranty. Said the Wolf is similar to CCI primer.

My experience in simple side by side testing of small pistol primer is no discernable difference when interchanged in 9mm using same brass, powder and bullet. I don’t get the impression that the Wolf/Tula primers are any harder than the CCI; however, they are slightly larger in diameter and need a little more pressure to seat properly (the difference can be felt with a hand priming gizmo).
Old May 31, 2012, 11:13 AM   #16
lockinload

I just received my first load of tula 223 primers. I had been using the wolf primers. First off they are a different color, copper like the Wins. Secondly I think they have a better round to them and are more consistent in size. Conclusion, they are not the same primer. I have not even fired any yet and have had no problems with the wolfs so not sure if it matters but they certainly are not the same as the Wolfs.
Old June 1, 2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Jerry45

Locindload, just got the Tulas in yesterday. I concur with your assessment. Day ain't da same. Not even close. I'll load some up and see how they shoot next to the Wolf I already have loaded in a couple of weeks.
Old June 1, 2012, 05:46 PM   #18
beex215

i remember tula working pretty well. i dont recall having to restrike primers on there pistol primers. well not many spp. the lrp worked flawless. thats about 2.5k spp and 1k lrp. would buy again.

this time i moved onto wolf srp for pistol use. i do have more restriked primers but thats not really a problem in this case. its still not very large amount either. thats about 2k so far. i will be testing them in an ar15 real soon too, i expect them to fire just fine. bought some wolf lrp too but havent tested them yet.

would still buy again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old June 2, 2012, 09:52 AM   #19
Jimro

I've been using Wolf KVB556M primers, so I'm interested in seeing if Tula KVB556M are different.

Jimro
Old June 13, 2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Jerry45

My fear has come to pass. The Tula don't work very well in my wife's Savage. Out of 15 rounds I had 3 FTF. One fired on the second try the other two would not fire. I didn't bring the AR so I don't know if they'll work better in it. I'll try them in it next time I go to the range but they're a no-go in the bolt gun. So now I have to find some Wolf and pay the HASMAT.... again!

Edited to add:

I called Powder Vally. "I don't know. I don't know. Try calling Hodgdon's balatision (? spelling)." At lease she gave me the number. Balatisian(?) says he has had go results in Savage Bolt Guns with Winchester and Federal. He recommended Federal Match Primers. So it looks like I'm going from $20.00 for 1,000 to $35.00. Ho well, I guess the old gals worth it.

Don't tell her I said that.

Last edited by Jerry45; June 13, 2012 at 04:39 PM.