The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

This Trail Boss powder is great

I just started reloading a few months ago, so I wasn't able to try a whole lot of things right off the bat. But in the last couple weeks, I've gotten more fun things to try out in the reloading dept. I finally got a Lee Perfect Powder measure. At first I wasn't all that sold on it when I was loading Unique with it. I found that the 231 measured a lot more consistently though. But I finally bought a can of Tite Group and a can of Trail Boss. That Trail Boss is great stuff in the powder measure! I was loading 6.0 gr in my 45 Colt cases. Since I'm still pretty new to all this stuff, I was weighing every charge for the first 20 or so for each powder, until I was satisfied that the powder measure was working right, then I would just weigh every 3rd or 4th charge. With Unique, it seemed like it was easy to be off by 0.1 or 0.2 gr so I was never really confident with it. The Trail Boss stuff though never ever wavered in all the charges I weighed.

I'm headed out to the range today to actually try shooting some of these loads with the new powders. I don't know if they shoot well, but they sure do load well! And to top it off, that Trail Boss powder is just too cute to look at. Like miniature Cheerios or donuts.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:58 PM   #2
FlyFish

Trail Boss is all I use for my .45 Colt CAS loads. I agree it's great stuff - meters great, and does a much better job of taking up some of that HUGE amount of extra volume in the case.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:36 PM   #3
putteral

I also cannot get Unique to measure consistintly out of my Lee, so I gave up on it and went to AA#5 which meters wonderfully.