The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 16, 2011, 09:18 PM   #876
Tom Servo
Staff

We're now at 57 weapons traced to domestic crime scenes, in 11 separate incidents.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:17 PM   #877
pnac

The article should read:

Quote:
The program was claimed to be intended to identify Mexican drug cartel leaders and smuggling routes across the border by allowing illegal purchases of firearms and then tracking the weapons. Instead, many of the guns simply vanished.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old August 17, 2011, 04:43 AM   #878
publius42

Quote:
Weich added that Holder first spoke to Melson about the operation "in or about late April" of this year, after the attorney general learned of the program and during a regular briefing.
Holder seems to have a very hands-off management style. Months after the first letter from Grassley about this scandal was sent to his office, he got around to bringing it up with his subordinate in charge in a regular briefing. If true, that's a bit too hands-off IMO.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:23 AM   #879
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Once again, we get (very) close to conspiracy theory. sigh...

Obama blows whistle on his own law enforcement agents in Mexico

Quote:
Obama also said the American lawmen provided only “technical assistance” to help in the war on drug cartels....

The U.S. government was merely sharing intelligence information and consulting with the Mexican military through its agents in Mexico, Obama said....

U.S. officials were quick to say the agents and contractors are not permitted the use of firearms....

Obama also wished to emphasize that he had no plans to increase the number or the role of the U.S. agents in Mexico.
For those of you that are too young to remember, if you replace "Mexico" with "Viet Nam," you will get a better idea of what is happening.

The war on Communism vs. the war on Drugs... Too far fetched? Read George Santayana.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:37 AM   #880
alan

Re "promotioms for management at ATF", this mentioned in a couple of earlier posts,(an article from the LA Times), does this surprise anyone?
Old August 17, 2011, 12:53 PM   #881
CowTowner

Quote:
does this surprise anyone?
Gosh, I sure hope not.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 17, 2011, 12:56 PM   #882
Crosshair

Quote:
does this surprise anyone?
At least in a private, non "to big to fail", company one could have the satisfaction of watching that companies decline and bankruptcy. Sadly not the case in government where failure is rewarded.
Old August 17, 2011, 03:40 PM   #883
BGutzman

It would be funny to see someone sue the government for not providing equal protection under the law as if some obvious felons can have firearms provided at tax payer expense then cant all of them have firearms? Or is it some criminals are more fair than others?

Im no lawyer but maybe someone needs to do this....

Last edited by BGutzman; August 17, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 03:50 PM   #884
pnac

Quote:
Sadly not the case in government where failure is rewarded.
It looks more like in government evil is rewarded.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old August 17, 2011, 07:33 PM   #885
alan

Al Norris wrote:

Once again, we get (very) close to conspiracy theory. sigh...

----------------------------

Al:

In this case, (Operation F & F), I would say that we have long since passed the "theories" stage respecting "conspiracy", but that's just my view of the thing.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:40 PM   #886
jimpeel

It is not a theory if they actually did conspire to do this. That is as it appears; and one does not need a tinfoil hat to see it.

This is not HAARP, or barbed wire fenced areas in Southwest Indiana, or giant tunnels under the United States, or (my favorite) the government projecting holographic images of Jesus Christ returning to Earth in the Second Coming to explain the disappearance of all of the Christian patriots.

It is more like "Its not paranoia if they are really out to get you."

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old August 17, 2011, 11:51 PM   #887
Aguila Blanca
Staff

jimpeel -- I suggest you fire up Google and check on tunnels under the US/Mexico border. There was another one in the news just a couple of days ago. There are hundreds of them, some (like the one just discovered) fairly sophisticated (electric lights and forced ventilation).
Old August 18, 2011, 04:26 PM   #888
C0untZer0

I would think BATFE has other things they could have been doing with their time

Like clamping down on the black market for cigarettes:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129934561

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...-york-m-month/
Old August 18, 2011, 06:56 PM   #889
Hardcase

C0untZer0, they do devote resources to that, and also to busting booze smugglers. Those things don't grab the public's attention like guns do, though. Last month, for example, they executed a boatload of search and seizure warrants in Washington state against a cigarette smuggling ring.

Sort of like the Secret Service. They protect the president, et al, but they have other important stuff to do as well.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:03 PM   #890
C0untZer0

The Secret Service is another department that has a weird niche of law enforcement carved out for it. It's my understanding that they are the primary agency for combating counterfeiting.

But again... I'm sure it's a job that could fall under the purview of the FBI.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:17 PM   #891
KyJim

Pardon the thread drift -- I've had some limited professional contact with FBI, Secret Service, Postal Inspector, and IRS Criminal Investigations (money laundering). Secret Service impressed me as being the most professional. In addition to protecting the president and investigating counterfeiting crimes, they share authority with the FBI relating to credit card fraud and national bank frauds as they effect the monetary system.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:47 PM   #892
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The Secret Service is another department that has a weird niche of law enforcement carved out for it. It's my understanding that they are the primary agency for combating counterfeiting.
Yep. They're under the Department of the Treasury. Ironically, the legislation forming the Secret Service was on Abraham Lincoln's desk the night he was killed.
Old August 19, 2011, 05:46 AM   #893
alloy

Slight thread drift. Heard about this arrest yesterday, which mentions the Sinaloa cartel, smuggling, and guns once again. Good to know who our government lies down with when guns, IEDs, and hand grenades are involved and going to Detroit.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/18/384...i-mexican.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...404?source=rss
Old August 20, 2011, 07:31 AM   #894
Twinsig

Special Hannity Show last night on F&F cover-up. Quite interesting.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:40 AM   #895
Crosshair

Quote:
Special Hannity Show last night on F&F cover-up. Quite interesting.
Here is the playlist of the show on YouTube. I haven't watched it myself yet.

Sean Hannity: Operation Fast & Furious
Old August 20, 2011, 10:44 AM   #896
ltc444

Watched Hannaty twice. Excellent program.

Unfortunately, it like the Congressional investigations are focused on th ATF and the Justice department.

They need to expand to State department and Homeland security. Both of these organizations had to sign off on the program.

This has the potential to be as explosive as Watergate.
Old August 22, 2011, 04:03 PM   #897
HarrySchell

Nice essay from Pajamas Media:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gunwalk...ion-of-liberty

Quote:
It all comes down to this: Is there an inalienable right to self-defense? If there is, each man has indisputable, inestimable value, value that he may rightly preserve even if the life of another man is forfeit. A man may kill another in lawful self-defense even if the policy preferences of the state would prefer his death. If a right to self-defense actually exists, it is in a very real sense the highest law of the land and all lesser laws must pay it deference. It fundamentally defines the social contract, the nature of the relationship between man and the state.

But if there is no such inalienable right, the entire nature of the social contract is changed. Each man’s worth is measured solely by his utility to the state, and as such the value of his life rides a roller coaster not unlike the stock market: dependent not only upon the preferences of the party in power but upon the whims of its political leaders and the permanent bureaucratic class.
Old August 23, 2011, 03:37 PM   #898
FrontSight

Quote:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gunwalk...ion-of-liberty

Quote:
It all comes down to this: Is there an inalienable right to self-defense? If there is, each man has indisputable, inestimable value, value that he may rightly preserve even if the life of another man is forfeit. A man may kill another in lawful self-defense even if the policy preferences of the state would prefer his death. If a right to self-defense actually exists, it is in a very real sense the highest law of the land and all lesser laws must pay it deference. It fundamentally defines the social contract, the nature of the relationship between man and the state.

But if there is no such inalienable right, the entire nature of the social contract is changed. Each man’s worth is measured solely by his utility to the state, and as such the value of his life rides a roller coaster not unlike the stock market: dependent not only upon the preferences of the party in power but upon the whims of its political leaders and the permanent bureaucratic class.

He writes as eloquently as the Founding Fathers, and SO hits the nail on the head
Old August 23, 2011, 03:40 PM   #899
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Excellent read. Thanx, Harry.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old August 24, 2011, 07:13 PM   #900
alan

ltc444 wrote:

Watched Hannaty twice. Excellent program.

Unfortunately, it like the Congressional investigations are focused on th ATF and the Justice department.

They need to expand to State department and Homeland security. Both of these organizations had to sign off on the program.

This has the potential to be as explosive as Watergate.
-------------------------------

Strikes me that the gentleman just might have a point re his observations, concerning following lines of responsibility and the placing of blame where it ultimately belongs. A "once over, lightly", will not do, for it's likely, as the writer suggests, that responsibility goes far beyond DOJ and BATFE, which of and in themselves are certainly culpable, though they likely had quite a bit of "help" in their foolishness.

Tags
atf , fast and furious