The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Thermodyne

Reloading SS109 rounds

I have a bunch of SS109 surplus ammo. The SS109 being inherently unbalanced (nose Heavy) will not fire from my 1in12 twist riffle. I can fire 69grn match rounds at lower velocities and usually fire 40grn rounds loaded to 3200fps. In the past I have just pulled the 109's apart and used the brass. But recently I was looking at some 109 load data and it looks as if I would get about the same 40grn load by just swaping out the bullets. And with the shortage of primers, it would give me a source of primers.

Has any one tried this?
Old June 3, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Its called "Mexican Match"...you pull the "GI" (non-match) bullet and replace it with a "Match" grade bullet. And given the fact that you are replacing the current 62gr bullet with a much lighter 40gr bullet you should be fine. Just make sure you have good neck tension/crimp on the replacement bullet.