The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1
biglabsrule

scoping the muzzleloader

Got a semi good buy on some mounts for my Kodiak at the end of last season. Have been debating about puting a scope on her. Can I use any rifle scope or will a muzzloader destroy it or not allow it to hold zero? Anyone have any input on scopes... was thinking of using a 3-9x50 I have laying around. It's a rifle scope so would it work just fine? K thanks for any advice..
Old October 10, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2
lockedcj7

I've never had a problem with a regular scope on a ML. I think the idea of ML-specific scopes is more of a marketing tool than anything else. I've seen some that have ballistic compensating reticles for ranging and hold-over but I think they're a solution looking for a problem. I've also seen some that have more eye relief to deal with the excessive recoil of 150gr of 777. (That's a real issue, IMHO. Ask me how I know. )

My Knight Disc rifle has a Nikon (Made in Japan) 2-7x32 and it's probably more scope than I need. It has held zero for five years and much load experimentation. It's currently in aluminum rings on Weaver bases. I was using the CVA universal mount and rings but it put the scope up too high. It also held zero, BTW.