The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2006, 05:58 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Bought a few knives at the gunshow today - can anyone give me info?

All new, all fixed blades:

1. Coolest one I picked up is the Benchmade 140 Nimravus 4.5" blade, marked "Elishewitz" on the side, in M2 High Speed blade steel. Comes with polymer sheath. The M2HS 104s are supposed to be 60-62 RHC, so this should hold an edge.

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools...t_nimravus.htm

2. Next is a Marble's Outdoors classic Woodcraft Hunting Knife, etched "S.M.N. Exclusive 1 of 50" with an orange burled maple handle, about 4 or 4.25". Very lightweight knife. Very pretty handle, with a large belly. Skinning knife. Comes with nice leather sheath.

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eC...&A=&SKU=MA2017

only the one I got is orange instead of black maple.

3. Last is a basic Buck 691 "Zipper" knife, with rubber handle and gut hook. Nylon sheath.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/...NF1837102.html

Anyone have these, or have input on them? Anyone know the blade steel used on the Marble's or the Buck? Got all 3 for $200 even OTD. Thanks.

Edit: Looks like Marble Classic Knives are 0170-6 carbon blade steel. Apparently the "S.M.N." stand for Smoky Mountain Knifeworks, which makes no sense, because it should be "S.M.K." - anyone know what's going on there?

And the Buck 691 uses 420 HC steel....
Old November 17, 2006, 04:09 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Actually kind of disappointed that Buck would put out a knife with such a basic steel as 420 - bah. Found out from Smokey Mountain that they used to be called "Smokey Mountain Network", hence the S.M.N. Kinda weird, but there it is.... Anyone have input?
Old November 22, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3
rem33

The 420 Bucks are no where near what the old 440C bucks were. I have been using a buck 110 a long time now on game and telling guys how good Bucks are. Then I find since 1980 or so the steel has been changed and is not near as good. Mine are the 440C.
Learn to tell the date marks then go to ebay and you can buy older bucks about as cheap as a new one and get twice the knife IMHO.

I have gutted two younger elk, split the brisket on both, not sharpen and still be able to shave hair off my arm with the older Buck knives. Admitted they were not big bulls, which I seriously doubt I could split that way, but still a pretty good edge holding ability I kinda thought.
Old November 22, 2006, 11:11 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Yeah, it looks like Buck and Gerber are circling the bowl now in knife quality - sold their souls for the short-term "buck", so to speak. Using pretty much all 425M, 420HC, or 440A.

OK, rem, so now I'm holding my Buck 110 I received as a gift 2 years ago - How can I tell which one it is? Only markings are "Buck", "110", and upside-down capital "T" following the 110, and finally, "U.S.A.". Since it was new as a gift, it's likely not a 440C then? - bah. Looks like 420HC most likely:

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/224/238
Old November 23, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
rem33

First,
Sounds like a 04 knife but go look here.
I also think you have some nice knives there. I have carried a 420 buck in my front pocket for over 20 years. there are a OK knife, hold a edge pretty good ahd resharpen easy.

http://www.buckknives.com/collectors_vintage.php

I have a Gerber that is very early folding hunter, looks like a 110 only a thinner handle, blade is from Germany. It never was very good I didn't think. I was working in a butcher shop in the mid 70's. Took that knife and used it some one day. It would hold a edge about half what a Forschner would. besides the lock let go once folded up giving me a vicious cut in the process.

What first sold me on Bucks was some wild ones I knew were partying out in the desert and got to arguing how good a Buck was. They took a 110 laid in the sand with the edge turned up then standing over it, shot the blade from about 2 feet with a 38. Cut the bullet into but didn't seem to hurt the knife at all. Several of them did this. None of the 110's were damaged. Then a guy we all called Bosco tried his Gerber. Bullet broke the knife blade into two pieces. His knife had a inch or so long blade after. I can't remember for sure but I think he went and bought a 110 also. I know I did, still have it as I mentioned above.
I have some Kershaw's, Puma's etc but those old bucks are what always use hunting.
Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by rem33; November 25, 2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: pocket knife 420