The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 5, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Intrastate Handgun Transfer Direct from Manufacturer?

Concerning NY state here:

I'm guessing that's it's not allowed.... but....

In state transfers of handguns do not require an FFL, so if you're buying a brand new gun directly from the manufacturer, and can actually go there and pick it up, then do you need to go through an FFL? IIRC, it's handled differently than a private sale but I can't find any info so....

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 5, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old February 5, 2010, 10:52 PM   #2
wally626

The manufacture of the gun is an FFL and if they allow in person retail sales then yes, they can handle all the details for an instate purchase.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The manufacture of the gun is an FFL
That's true.... I was thinking "dealer" when I said FFL. I know that the manufacturer has a FFL, I just didn't know if all of the various types of FFLs allow for direct transfer to individuals... you say yes then?
Old February 6, 2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
...I know that the manufacturer has a FFL, I just didn't know if all of the various types of FFLs allow for direct transfer to individuals... you say yes then?
I think it's going to be up to the manufacturer. Since the manufacturer is a licensee under the GCA, the transfer would require all the usual folderol -- 4473, etc. I could imagine that a manufacturer might not want to get involved with all of that and might, therefore, decline, as a matter of business policy, to do direct transfers.
Old February 6, 2010, 01:54 PM   #5
knight0334

Under federal law, manufacturers can also deal/sell as well. They also have to abide by state laws in regards to licensing for the dealer, licensing for the purchasing party(which NY requires), and/or any other permits.

Some manufacturers will deal directly with the public, some wont. Those that wont are often bound by contractual agreements with distributors and dealers not to undermine the distributors' and dealers' end sales.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some manufacturers will deal directly with the public, some wont. Those that wont are often bound by contractual agreements with distributors and dealers not to undermine the distributors' and dealers' end sales.
This manufacturer does deal directly with the public. In fact, I'm not sure that they do business any other way. Their website says "must be shipped to ffl" on all the appropriate products, but I imagine that they don't figure that most of their customers happen to live 15 miles away.

I am awaiting an answer directly from them.... I just thought that I'd ask in the meantime.