The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 23, 2006, 07:15 AM   #1
Trapp

My deer hunt..

It was fruitless. Not without a bit of fun though. The weather was too warm (should've taken this week off!), so I did not see much. A total 7 does the whole week.

I did take a shot at one. It was quite exciting. I picked up my kid from a b-day party and headed out. It was about 3:00 when we got out there. I decided to do some scouting (I know, a little late). We were walking around and heard some snorting. Well I thought "What the heck" and pulled out "fawn bawl" call. Me and the kid ducked low, and I started to call. It is really an aweful call by the way... Then the doe appeared, lookin like she was on crack, about 30 yards away. I had the bow at full draw when she came out. I let one loose. Whoosh!! Right over the back! She jumped the string, dropping about 6" before she bolted. She stuck around though......Kept snorting, but wouldn't show herself.

Maybe this weekend!
Old October 23, 2006, 09:18 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Cool! You came close man. I know the feeling. Always good to be in the woods, getting fresh air & exercise. And a hunt where you just SEE a deer is better than one where you don't. Keep at it!
Old October 23, 2006, 06:15 PM   #3
BIGR

Atleast you got into some action. I think back at the many times I went and froze my butt off and didn't see a thing. If the weather is decent I enjoy just being in the woods away from the telephone and loud people. Im getting my stuff ready as we speak for muzzleloading season. I can't wait, I've got the deer hunting fever. Last season I saw over 50 deer and could have tagged out the week of muzzleloader, but why would I want to end my deer season the first week of November. I waited and took an eleven point the first week of rifle season. The bucks were in rut and I got to see bucks running everywhere chasing does. Man I hope this year will be as good as the last two. Only time will tell.