The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2001, 03:29 PM   #1
Adventurer_96

I have an older Remington 1100 lined up to buy this week for $425. It's got beautiful polished wood and is set up for trap shooting. Today, I fired it for the first time, which was also my second and third round of trap ever, and it seemed very natural. The trigger pull has been worked on by the fellow who owns it, and it's very smooth. I shot 14 and 19, couldn't believe it for only my second day actually shooting trap!

The release button to send the bolt forward has a nice big extension, making loading the gun very easy. Additionally, it has the metal plate to stop shell ejection on it, and that seems to be the only place where there's a bit of excess wear on the bluing. I can deal with that because I want to buy a shooter. Plus, the stock is high enough that I get a good "figure eight" on the sights. Looking at the inside of the gun it seems to have been well maintained. I need to ask if he's the original owner.

Any recommendations or considerations on this model, things to look for specifically? If I don't get this one I most likely will revert to my original choice of a Mossberg 500 or 835, since they both "fit" me well, too.

Thanks in advance for your input.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.
Old February 6, 2001, 03:38 PM   #2
PJR

Does this gun have choke tubes? If so it could be used for other clay target games. Just remove the metal clip that catches the shells for doubles. If not the choking might be a little tight for sporting or skeet.

But if trap is your main game, it's hard to see how this gun would not be a good choice. If I'd shot 14 and 19 on my second round and third round of trap with any gun I would have bought it on the spot.

You need to keep a supply of o-rings for the gas mechanism and an extra link isn't a bad idea. The good news is that these parts are plentiful, inexpensive and easy to install.

As for the price, it seems reasonable and if it is the gun you want, it's well worth it.
Old February 10, 2001, 01:25 PM   #3
goob

Price check....!

I would seriously consider asking the man to do you a better favor on the price. Just yesterday I picked up a used 1100 Trap model in town that is a little bit older, but hasn't been used much at all. Beautiful wood, and at least 95% blueing, and they only wanted $300. I asked if they'd take $280, and I brought it home w/ me. I'm not sure if the gun you're looking at has some "extra" items w/ it that would increase the cost or not, but it seems a little pricey to me. I know the shell catcher is only $10, so that can't be were that extra $145 is coming from..(= Like I said, I'm no expert, just going from a little personal experience. Good luck with whatever you choose.