The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 14, 2014, 01:13 PM   #1
LynnTX

Gander Mountain Trade-in Policy

Has anyone traded in an auto in very good condition to get something else you want? I am curious if they offer decent prices toward purchasing a new or used hand gun from them.

We have only had a store in our area for about a year - so I have not heard of much in the way of personal experience from people I know.
Old August 14, 2014, 01:20 PM   #2
gyvel

Trading in a gun is like trading in your car. You're not going to get anywhere near what it's worth.

If there is a particular gun you are interested in, do an online search at such websites as Bud's Gun Shop, Cheaper Than Dirt, J&G Sales. Gunbroker.com, etc., then buy the gun outright. I daresay you will get a much better deal that way than from Gander Mountain.

As far as the gun you intend to trade in, you will most likely get more for it by selling it to someone than a trade-in.

The best solution is Cheapshooters Rule #1: Never sell or trade anything.
SIFE
Old August 14, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
AirCool65

Gander Mountain opened a store locally last year. I enjoy looking at their used handgun inventory, but I've never purchased anything from them. Their prices always seem about $100 too high, but maybe it's me... I'm cheap.
Old August 14, 2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Cyanide971

Gander Mtn. usually has a great selection but at a higher price than other outlets. Take for example Cabela's. Normal everyday price on a brand new Steyr M-A1 @ G.M. runs near or over $600, whereas I've never seen them higher than $480 @ Cabela's OUCH!
Old August 14, 2014, 04:06 PM   #5
gyvel

Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's et. al. very seldom have bargains unless it is purely by accident.
SIFE
Old August 14, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
A400 Fan

Gander, like the rest, will give you wholesale used price so they can sell at retail used. Or, in the case of my Gander, they sell used for prices equal to new.
Old August 14, 2014, 04:45 PM   #7
DA/SA Fan

Pretty much anyone that takes one of your guns is gonna double the price they give you when they sell it. Ganders prices for new guns are really high from what I've seen so they might make it sound better than it is. If you want to get what your gun is worth, put it on an auction site, or research it a bunch and just sell it in the classifieds section.
Old August 14, 2014, 05:13 PM   #8
rock185

I can't speak about Gander Mtn. specifically, but stores I've dealt with usually offer about half what they think a used gun will sell for. It does not seem to matter if it is absolutey pristine/unfired/mint,etc. Your trade-in is not worth much, until it appears in the store's case for sale;-)

Last edited by rock185; August 14, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old August 14, 2014, 05:15 PM   #9
gyvel

Where is Cheapshooter when we need him???
SIFE
Old August 14, 2014, 05:23 PM   #10
RX-79G

Sell your old gun on Armslist. It's free and popular.
Old August 14, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11
gyvel

I say KEEP your gun and just buy the other one.
SIFE
Old August 14, 2014, 05:55 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Has anyone traded in an auto in very good condition to get something else you want? I am curious if they offer decent prices toward purchasing a new or used hand gun from them.

We have only had a store in our area for about a year - so I have not heard of much in the way of personal experience from people I know.
In general trading to a store is not a good idea.

Given Gander's typically high prices, I especially would not try there.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 14, 2014, 06:01 PM   #13
longknife12

They will offer about 30% of value....at least that's what I found local. Never
made a trade with them.
Dan
Old August 14, 2014, 07:52 PM   #14
JWT

If a gun store gives you 50 to 60% of their retail price on a trade in for a very clean used gun you're doing very well.

One advantage of a trade in, at least in AZ, is just paying sales tax on the cash you put out.
Old August 15, 2014, 03:09 AM   #15
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Gander Mountain opened a store locally last year. I enjoy looking at their used handgun inventory, but I've never purchased anything from them. Their prices always seem about $100 too high, but maybe it's me... I'm cheap.
It's not just you, gander is known for having higher prices than most similar retail stores.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 15, 2014, 05:04 AM   #16
PatientWolf

I was @ GM the other day and a woman brought in a gun to trade. The person behind the counter was very up front and told her even before looking at it, "It is like trading in a car. We don't give you very much for it. You would probably get much more selling it yourself."

While I don't think they give much, I did appreciated the fact that he was honest with her so she could make whatever decision she finally came to.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:13 AM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
They will offer about 30% of value....at least that's what I found local. Never
made a trade with them.
That's more or less J&G's m.o. 30% of the value if you're lucky; then godawful high prices when they put it out for sale. It's almost like they enjoy insulting you.

Anyway, Cheapshooter never joined in to let you know his first rule: Never trade or sell anything...
SIFE
Old August 15, 2014, 06:12 AM   #18
PSP

I've only sold one pistol back to gander. They gave me 78% of what I paid for the gun originally, (about three years between buying and selling). I'm sure they still made a decent profit margin on the sale. I was happy. Another time I wasn't happy will their offer and walked away. I've since found a local on-line web site and used it to sell any guns I no longer want.

It never hurts to ask the question, "what will you give me for this pistol?" Just be prepared to walk away if you're not happy.
Old August 15, 2014, 06:54 AM   #19
TXAZ

Alternative:

Take a look at backpage.com, a "Craigslist" for guns et al.
You can get about 1/2 way between what a retailer will pay you for it and what they will sell it for. I sold a semi on it and both the buyer and I were happy.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 15, 2014, 08:00 AM   #20
Skans

Quote:
It's not just you, gander is known for having higher prices than most similar retail stores.
Gander is just a store and they want to sell guns - you can find good deals there. I purchased a used 98% condition Savage 30-06 with scope for $350 not too long ago.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:04 AM   #21
A400 Fan

Yes, every now and again, you can find a deal - IMO, it seems those are the local trade-ins that can be had. If it is a used gun from corporate where they bought a bunch wholesale, they bean counters seem to think that used equals new for retail pricing. I found a S&W 19-3 at one for a really good deal
Old August 15, 2014, 12:39 PM   #22
Bucksnort1

Cabela's

Cabela's will also buy guns. I think they give you more than 30 percent of a gun's value.
Old August 15, 2014, 11:32 PM   #23

If you want to sell a firearm, do so in a private sale.

No gun shop or store is going to give you anything near it's actual worth.

Funny thing though, if a gun shop has used firearms for sale, they seem to think they are worth close to the same price as a new gun.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:31 AM   #24
redrick

I was at my local gun store . I saw a older man ( older than me ) walking into the gun store with a Marlin 39 . I commented on how nice the gun was . He told me that it was his fathers gun ( again he is not young ) and he wanted to sell it at the gun store . I told him if they don't give him what he wanted for it , that I would give him $300 for it .

When he came back out he told me that he sold it to the gun store . I asked him what they gave him for it , he said $200 . I guess he just didn't trust selling it to me , I was sick .

I went back inside the store and asked what they would take for the gun , they said $450 .

That same local gun store helped in part to close Gander Mountain in my area . They closed their little store and moved into the vacant Gander Mountain building .

Where Gander Mountain rarely had 12 cars in the parking lot , the local gun store in the same location is almost full .

Just shows Gander Mountain was not doing something right .

Last edited by redrick; August 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old September 1, 2014, 01:49 AM   #25
Darren007

The counter guy at the Gander Mtn near me told me they pay 60% of the listed Blue Book value based on condition.