The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 23, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Brian the gunner

What do you think about the Remington 600?

Hi, a friend selling a Remington 600 .308 caliber in $ 460 usd.
Is it a good price?
Is it true that heat up fast?
How many shots does each heated?
It is a good carbine?
Does anyone have one remington 600?
What do you think of this particular model?

PD: Sorry for my English.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
taylorce1

The Rem model 600/660 are very good hunting rifles, so that means you'll get off two to three shots before the heat of the barrel greatly affects group size. It is a very handy, easy pointing rifle, great for using in thick brush or woods, so yes it is a good carbine. $460 USD is a pretty good price IMO for one of these rifles.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Brian the gunner

Thanks for the information taylorce1 .
Old December 23, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Colt46

Interesting guns

They were very controversial when first introduced.
The trigger guard and the top rib are made from structural nylon. Many gun writers/people hated this.
Muzzle blast can be an issue out of such a short barrel. The barrel profile is pretty thin so sustained accuracy is probably an issue. Out of a hunting rifle this won't be an issue.
The rifle gets pretty high marks for being well balanced, accurate and fast handling. Prices tend to be pretty high, so your price seems pretty good.
That vent rib never seems to go unnoticed.
Old December 23, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Is it a good price?
FWTW $$>no it is not. Rifle hasn't been made since 1967. Cheaper to buy a new rifle for that amount your friend is wanting for his plain jane older rifle. Even if your friends rifle has a good brand of scope mounted. Still way to much money wanted I think.
Old December 23, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
PetahW

As seen above, regarding the Remington 600 - some folks love them & others leave them.

The 600's just as good functionally as any other/newer rifle today - IF you like the "space-gun" style,

The rifle has one very good feature over most more "modern" rifles - the scope mount base fits over an upward extension of the recoil lug (sandwiched between action & barrel faces), which obviates any movement there (expecially in the more robust chmberings, like the .308 & 6.5/.350 Rem Mags).

Years ago, I wouldn't pay $450USD for one, unless it was a .350 Mag - but in today's market / dollar situation (inflation), IMO it's a very fair price to pay (if it's in good condition, including the bore).

( PS: your english is fine)

Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo !

Last edited by PetahW; December 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old December 23, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Brian the gunner

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Petahw, Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.
Old December 23, 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

$460 is in the range of what these guns go for at the shows, and its at the bottom end of the range. I have seen that much, (and more) asked for these guns which were in fair or even poor condition.

If you think its too much money, then its too much money. I would pay that much, and have paid more.

I have 6 of these fine little carbines, .222Rem, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .308 Win, & .350 Rem Mag. (2 .308s, had 3, traded one for the 6mm)

If you think the price for the .308 is too much, don't even LOOK at a .350, (or a 6.5mm..)

The carry great, the handle well, and they kick the snot out of you in heavier calibers, because they are so light.

They are hunting rifles, not target guns. Don't expect them to be what they are not, and you won't be disappointed!
Old December 23, 2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I just sold / traded my 600 Remington rifle chambered in 6 mm Remington about 6-8 months ago...

I'm a rifle man, & while the gun was not my cup o tea, I would not have gotten rid of it, if my 1st rifle wasn't in such a similar cartridge...

I did not like the plastic parts... & even the vent rib is plastic... but I did like the looks of the little gun... they kind of have a cult following, & that seems like the going price, & what I got for mine...

BTW... can you own / shoot that rifle in your country??? my understanding, is in a lot of countries, you can't own a gun in a military caliber... or does that only pertain to handguns, or have they relaxed that law ???
Old December 23, 2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Brian the gunner

Magnum Wheel Man:
In Mexico having guns is a right.
These are the allowed calibers in Mexico:
In semiautomatic pistols are allowed to 9mm Makarov, although in some states are allowed to 7.62x25, 5.7x28mm and .357 sig.
In revolvers is legal up .38 special.
In shotguns the limit is 12 gauge.
In rifles and carbines there is not set limit.
The following weapons are illegal:
Pistols, revolvers and shotguns larger calibers to the above.
Any automatic weapon.
Flamethrower and artillery cannons.
Grenade launchers and grenades.
For some strange reason the M1 Garand and M1 carbine.
Shotguns with barrels lower to 25 inches.
If you want to have illegal weapons to civilians must be minimum oficial of the army, navy or air force or have the collector license.

PD:Sorry for my English.
Old December 23, 2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Wheel man said it best.
Quote:
I did not like the plastic parts... & even the vent rib is plastic... but I did like the looks of the little gun... they kind of have a cult following, & that seems like the going price, & what I got for mine...
Considering the magnum calibers {350-6.5 mag} neither reach their full potential in the 600 model being its barrel length was factory shorten to 18-1/2" when compared to other bolt models Remington sold at the time.

Some 600 were known to accidentally fire when their Safety was pushed off. (Remington had a Call Back on those rifle years)

Its nylon trigger guard and barrel rib were just a turn off to many who simply touched it. (nylon/plastic)
Nylon turned brittle in the cold Northern climates especially in the 60s.

Now you know why the 600 was only marketed/made for 3 years. (1964 to 1967) It wasn't hardly worth stocking that rifle (model 600) in a gun stores inventory back then. Too many problems and maybe for some owners dangerous also. There was a factory call back on those dangerous 600 rifles having certain # serial numbers. Which I hardly doubt is offered to its Model 600 owners anymore.

Yet today there are those who still like the looks of those 600s. But as you know and many still try "y'all~can't~make~ a silk purse out of a sows ear."

I still say you would be better off buying new verses used at that price of 460.00. Marlin X7 or a Savage anything. Both have much better rifle technology and materials used in their making. When compared to an experimental obsolete hard to find parts for rifle such as the 600 is. But you do as you like Sir. Just telling you what I know is all. See the Link for a more professional incite in regards to your quite possible Remington 600 purchase.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_600.htm
Old December 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Brian the gunner

By the way, is considered official of the Army from sub-lieutenant onwards.
Old December 23, 2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Brian the gunner

Thanks SSMG.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:24 PM   #14
PetahW

Actually, the 1964-68 Model 600 was followed by essentially the same rifle, but with a longer ribless bbl, as the Model 660, until 1971 - after which the Model 600 Mohawk was made (1971-79).

Old December 23, 2013, 06:33 PM   #15
FALPhil

Quote:
Colt46 wrote:
The barrel profile is pretty thin so sustained accuracy is probably an issue.
I would say that the 600/660 barrel is a medium sporter weight, as I sit here looking at mine. I can shoot 5 rounds in 2 minutes without the barrel heating up enough to make the POI wander. The barrel being as short as it is, it's pretty stiff, and most 600/660s are surprisingly accurate. Even better, they are a delight to carry in the woods.

600s and 660s have a cult following and are starting to become collectible. I think $460 is a fair price if it is in really good shape, but I would try and negotiate down to $425.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:52 PM   #16
BumbleBug

At the gun shows near me, a decent Rem 600 would sell for $460 in a heart beat. I agree there is a cult following. I had a hunting buddy that had one in .308 & he looked all over until he found another for his son. The 2nd one was .243 - I think he wasn't even real worried about it being a different caliber, just wanted 2 very handy deer rifles.

...bug
Old December 23, 2013, 08:19 PM   #17
steveNChunter

I have a model 660 in 6mm, same rifle as the 600 just no vent rib and a 20" barrel. They started making the 660 in 1968 when they discontinued the 600. The 660 was made through 1971 and in '72 they started making the 600 Mohawk. Mine will actually shoot about 4 shots before you see a much of a drift in point-of-impact. But the barrel profile may be slightly heavier on the 660's I'm not sure. The 600/660 can be closely compared to the present-day model 7.

For a lightweight "mountain" or walking rifle, there are few better suited to the job. They are potentially just as accurate as any other compact hunting rifle. I just have a 4x fixed power scope on mine to save bulk and weight. It makes a great rifle for hunts when there's a lot of walking involved or when hunting in a treestand. I traded a Ruger MK III target pistol for mine, but the guy was asking $500 dollars for it and it came with a Weaver K6 scope. So that being said I think $460 is a fair deal if the rifle is in good shape and it's what you want.

By the way, Coquille Valley Machine Works makes a billet aluminum trigger guard for the 600/660 that is a must have for anyone who owns one. Look them up on eBay.

Here's a pic of my 660. Gotta love the dog-leg bolt

PS: I'm not part of the 600/660 "cult" following, I just thought it was a nice rifle. I am however a card-carrying member of the 6mm remington cult, which is the main reason I bought the rifle
Old December 23, 2013, 10:09 PM   #18
Brian the gunner

Thank you very much for commenting steveNChunter.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:22 AM   #19
jmr40

In its day, it was a good lightweight rifle. if you want one as a collectable that is probably a fair price, not a bargain. If you want a rifle to actually use there are more modern rifles that do everything the 600 does, and can be had for less money.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:32 AM   #20
FALPhil

Quote:
jmr40 wrote:
If you want a rifle to actually use there are more modern rifles that do everything the 600 does, and can be had for less money.
Yeah, and you can buy a Chevy Cruze for less than you will spend on a '69 Camaro and the Cruze will do everything the Camaro will do. But, at the end of the day, it's still only a Chevy Cruze.

There's a lot to be said for the classics. And try finding a new rifle with a dogleg bolt!

Last edited by FALPhil; December 24, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:41 AM   #21
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee
I still say you would be better off buying new verses used at that price of 460.00. Marlin X7 or a Savage anything. Both have much better rifle technology and materials used in their making. When compared to an experimental obsolete hard to find parts for rifle such as the 600 is.
My question is what is he truly going to get that's better for $460? The way I look at it he'll get a new rifle with a plastic stock and in most cases a plastic trigger guard if it is a blind magazine, and the rifle will weigh around 7lbs. What I see that he gets when he buys a used M600 in .308 win is a compact hunting rifle that weighs in 5.5lbs before adding a scope and mounts, a more rigid stock than any he'll get new in that price range, and the Nylon trigger guard and vented rib can be replaced if he can get the parts imported. The M600 is far from an obsolete design, and there is plenty of parts still available, but since the OP is from Mexico they might be difficult to get.

Where can anyone buy a good light weight compact rifle for less than $500. The only compact hunting rifle he can probably get is the Ruger American Compact for around $400 and it is a full .5lbs heavier, and has a junky stock with no aftermarket replacement. Most other compact models a person can find will be youth models and not offered in .308 Win. Then there is the Ruger Hawkeye Compact that weighs only .25lbs heavier but will cost in the neighborhood of $650, or the Hawkeye AW Compact .5lbs heavier and starts at $700. The only production rifle that weighs less is the Kimber Montana and Mountain Ascent which start at $1100 for the Montana and only goes up from there for the Ascent.

Now before anyone goes arguing my weight of the M600 being 5.5lbs, the M600 Magnum weighs in around 6.5lbs and had a laminate stock and little heavier contour barrel for the 6.5 and .350 Remington Magnums. The Chuck Hawks article referenced earlier was about the M600 Magnum. So depending on the ultimate goal of what the purchaser of the rifle is looking for the M600 may be exactly what they want. Now if a guy just wants to purchase a good rifle then there might be other cheaper options that are just as good.

Another thing that people tend to forget is the M600 action was in production up until 1998 in the form of the XP100 pistol. The M600 eventually evolved into the M7 action that Remington now uses. Where Remington incorporated the smaller action size with features from the M700 to make a more compact light weight short action rifle. M7 and M600 parts are not interchangeable, nor do they fit the same stocks without a lot of modification.
Old December 24, 2013, 11:15 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

A lot of people put down the 600 series rifles, because they aren't what those people think they ought to be. I have always loved them for what they are.

My first deer rifle was a Rem 600 in .308 Win. My father gave it to me, and I still have it, 40+ years later.

They are guns meant to be carried a lot, and shot, at game. yes, they have light barrels, and heat up fast. But 2-3 shots (even fast) stay close and my experience is if you haven't gotten your game by then, you are unlikely to.

People point out how the cartridges (especially the magnums) don't get their full performance in the short barrels. How the blast is fierce. At this, I laugh.

If you want full performance (from any gun) you need a long(ish) barrel. I find it humorous some of the same people who decry the loss of velocity from a 600 carbine barrel are just fine with the short barrel of an M4 AR or a SOCOM M1A.

NO other factory rifle I know of (other than the Rem Model 7) comes close to the 600 series rifles, in terms of size, weight, power, and ease of handling as a combination. Sure, there are limitations. You aren't going to get top MV, but then, you aren't carrying an 8lb rifle with a 26" tube, either.

And nothing (not even the Model 7) gives all these things in the price range of a decent 600, even today.

My first Model 600 sold new for $99.95, steeper than the Win & Marlin .30-30s most commonly used in the area. Even fitted with a small scope, and sling, they come in under 7lbs, generally perform somewhere between very good and adequate, carry well, and look neat (to me).

They have their quirks, and have had issues (Rem trigger). I, and others have written about this before, search a bit and you will find some more good information.

Personally, I would take an old 600, at a reasonable price before I would buy a new bigger heavier gun, for the same money. Unless I had a specific desire that a 600 series rifle just cannot do, they are a tough combination to beat.

Remington's biggest mistake with the 600 was making it at a time before the public was aware of its desire for a scout rifle, at a time when plastic, even space age nylon wasn't well accepted by the shooting public, the styling was ..unconventional, in an era when buyers were more conventionally conservative than they are today.
Old December 26, 2013, 02:57 PM   #23
Jack O'Conner

This is my older 660 in .308 with 2X-7X scope. I've hunted with this amazing carbine for over 40 years - no problems at all. Years ago, the barrel channel was glass-bedded and trigger lightened to 3lbs. This improved accuracy for me.

This heavy bodied forky was taken in Black Hills Nat'l Forest of South Dakota.

Jack

Old December 26, 2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Keg

One of the best early small carbine size bolt actions....If the gun is clean..that would be a good price around here....
Old December 27, 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Ben Towe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Another thing that people tend to forget is the M600 action was in production up until 1998 in the form of the XP100 pistol.
Actually they are still in production as the XR-100 Rangemaster rifle. I have one in .22-250 that's a good shooter.