The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 23, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1
KyJim

Galco Shoulder Holster Question

I'm thinking of buying a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for my Government sized 1911s. Disadvantages of a shoulder rig aside, I have a couple of questions.

1. If I understand the Galco model numbering, the Govt. size holster is the same as the Command length. Correct or not?

2. With a jacket, how is the printing? I'm heavyset if this makes any difference.

3. I can get a holster attachment in another caliber and use it with the rig if desired. Correct or not?

Any other comments welcome.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:28 PM   #2
AK103K

The Galco shoulder holsters I have used for my 1911's used the same holster regardless of barrel length. The Govt' models just poke out the back a little more. Same goes for my SIG's.

I've used Galco holsters across a couple of different shoulder holster platforms with pretty good success. Some take some work to get them to fit, due to strap thickness and buckles. My favorite Galco shoulder holsters are their "Executive" model for the smaller guns. I've used their harness with my P229 holsters a couple of times with decent success. Its ot as comfortable as the standard harness,but it works well with less bulk.

Personally, I think a shoulder holster is one of the easiest to spot, especially if you choose the wrong cover garment for it. You really have to pay a lot more attention with one than you do a good belt holster (especially a IWB).

Usually a dead give away is the "bra" strap lines you get across the back, especially with heavier people and the wrong coat. You see it mostly when they lean forward or pull their arms forward, drawing the coat against their backs.

Another place you need to watch is the collar line, especially if your wearing something without a collar. The shoulder straps tend to ride up there and can be easily seen. A lot of this has to do with how you have the holster adjusted, but it always seems to be an issue for me.

You also have to watch the front of your coat if its left open. With the Classic style horizontal holsters that dont have a second securing strap across the back, the holster and reload tend to swing forward when you bend and can pop out the front.

I usually use mine when wearing a heavyweight hooded 1/4 zip sweatshirt. It hides the best and easiest, and allows you to reach up under the bottom or down through the top.

If your looking to try one and your not sure if its right for you, and you dont want to spend a lot of money, check out EBay. I've bought (and later resold) a couple of different makes at considerably less than a new one would have cost me. All were in very good to excellent shape too.
Old September 25, 2008, 05:18 PM   #3
KyJim

Thanks for the information and the tips. The fact the same holster is used for different barrel lengths is good to know in case a 5 inch barrel just won't work.
Old September 26, 2008, 04:23 PM   #4
nemesis

Consider the newer Miami Classic II before you buy. The harness is wider over the top of the shoulders to carry the weight more comfortably and the horizontal mag carrier is a big improvement over the older, vertical and flapped SCL mag carriers.

All 1911's fit the standard 212 holster component, regardless of barrel/slide length.

Galco shoulder systems do not come standard with tiedowns, no matter who you buy from, but they are highly recommended.
Old September 26, 2008, 06:20 PM   #5
KyJim

Thanks Nemesis. I'll check out your website though it may be a little longer before I buy. I ran into my favorite gun shop today and ran out broke.