The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2002, 11:58 AM   #1
Wox

Failure to extract

Is it possible for a bad magazine to cause failure to extract problems? I was shooting my Para Ordnance 6.45, and began to experience failures to extract on most every round. It appeared that the top round in the magazine was preventing the spent shell casing from extracting.

I examined the extractor and it appeared undamaged. I then tried using a clip from my wife's Kimber. It is a 7 shot clip (unlike the 6 shot Para clip) but fits the Para. I had no problems with jams/extraction failures. I assume this is due to a bad magazine. The magazine does appear to "stick" and the spring is rubbing the inside top part of the magazine jacket.

Is it possible this magazine was the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:04 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Magazine lips

At the top, the size of the opening can determine how fast the top round strips off during cycling. If the top round comes off before the spent round is extracted, what you describe happens.

Check the sizes of the opening on the two mags with a micrometer, if available. Often, the opening can be made smaller by careful shpding of the metal.

Regards.
Old September 11, 2002, 01:01 PM   #3
Wox

Thanks for the response.

Despite what my local gunshop told me, I found out that Wilson Combat makes 6-round magazines which will fit the Para. I have gotten a pair of these and they seemed to have solved the extraction problem!

Guess that gives me the answer to my question, huh?

Haven't tried reshaping the Para clip yet, that will be the next step...
Old September 11, 2002, 01:13 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

No, the next step is let Para fix the defective magazine by replacing it with one that works. Once you touch it, Para can deny responsibility.
Old September 11, 2002, 08:46 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the problem was due to a magazine allowing the top round to come up too far. But the same problem can be caused by a extractor that is failing to hold the extracted case up and off the round in the magazine. You might want to check by removing the magazine and then extracting a loaded round. If the round falls through the mag well, the extractor needs work.

Jim