The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2013, 11:46 AM   #26
RC20

Quote:
Well, there is gonna be a shortage, so every one in the country is buying every component they can find and burying them in their back yard. Low and behold, we have a shortage. The same thing happened after the first time the city folks elected that "gentleman". Give it a few months and once peoples back yards are full of buried primers and powder, those of us who want to buy components so we can actually shoot them will be able to find them again.
Spot on, its relevant.

It us that is shooting ourselves int he foot. We don't have a shoratage, we have hording.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:45 PM   #27
rlc323

I really start to wonder if some folks get so tired of looking for ammo just to shoot and not store, that they just say the heck with it and give up.

How many potential new members to the shooting community have been turned away by the unavailability of guns, ammo, and even presses and dies?

Until our local WalMart put in place the 3 box limit a clerk told me that a local fellow would come in and buy every box of .22lr, 9mm and 7.62x39 in the cabinet as soon as they filled it.

When she told me he was the same guy who bought every 100 watt incandescent bulb before they were phased out, I knew exactly who he was.

He is a local slumlord with a bunch of mobile home rental properties and a genuine jerk. Apparently he is re-selling the ammo out of one of the trailers, marked up as high as the market will bear. I hope when things get back to normal he ends up having to use the ammo and bulbs for suppositories.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:55 PM   #28
CrustyFN

Powder Valley has WST in stock.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:12 PM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I got lucky last night.

Got a notice from Midway last night that after a two month wait my RCBS Lube/ Sizer .311 was in stock while I was here on TFLF. I quickly jumped over to the Midway site and ordered that .311 and 2/ boxes of Horn 30-cal gas checks. As I backed out of the screens I noticed the .311 die was on >Back Order again. Depending on how many L/S dies Midway received from there supplier? It didn't take me much more than 3-4 minutes to get my order placed. That's how fast those .311 dies sold out again. Wouldn't surprise me their Hornady 30-cal gas checks are gone again also.

S/S
Old March 2, 2013, 08:19 PM   #30
2ndtimer

I wasn't too concerned about the component shortage, since when I last checked, our local Wholesale Sports (soon to be Sportmans Warehouse once again) appeared to still have a good selection of powder on the shelves and I am pretty well stocked with most components. I happened to stop by today and was really surprised at how cleaned out of powder they were. They still had Accurate 2015 on the shelf for $24.99 per lb, so I asked how many they had in the back. (They only display containers for what is available, you have to ask) He came back and said they had 5 pounds in the back, so I took 2, to leave some for the next guy. They still had Reloder 7 showing on the shelf, but that would be the last .223 capable powder. Sold out of Ramshot except Magnum, sold out of IMR pretty much, Hodgdon gone, except for HV-100 Hybrid, still showing some Reloder 19 and 25 but $29.95 per lb. Glad I stocked up on most things over the past several years, since 2008, I should have enough to ride this thing out.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:00 PM   #31
Colorado Redneck

The Sportsmans Warehouse that I have been haunting lately gets their shipment of reloading supplies on Friday morning each week. All of the frustrated reloaders have figured that out, so every Friday about 9:00 they start showing up standing in line for a couple of hours. I drove into the parking lot about 11:30 yesterday and there was a steady stream of people going in and coming out. Those coming out were carrying plastic bags of powder and bullets. Primers are weird---every week they get large rifle or large pistol, and of course the customers are waiting to grab a couple thousand and head for the checkout. Why no small rifle or small pistol?

The shooting range is almost empty sometimes when we go over to shoot. Before this shortage thing go started, sometimes we had to share a lane, and once in a while we had to wait for a lane.

I stopped by JAX the other evening after a late shooting range session, and they had some Trail Boss. I bought a couple jugs. It is tempting to get a lot of stuff, but dang it, that is why we are all having a hell of a time finding supplies---some guys are grabbing everything they can afford.

Hope this slacks up fairly soon. Summer isn't far off.
Old March 3, 2013, 12:14 AM   #32
Tooltech

Sportsmen's and Jax. You must be near Loveland.
Old March 3, 2013, 12:23 AM   #33
recon14

Re: Reloading Supplies HARD TO FIND

Just placed an order with Falcon. I'll let everyone know how long they take to ship.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:35 AM   #34
TheNatureBoy

Components are out there but hard to find. Scattered about here and there. Its gonna be a few more months before we walk into a store/shop and see the shelves filled.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:15 AM   #35
recon14

Re: Reloading Supplies HARD TO FIND

Got an email from falcon...ordered Saturday night, shipped this morning. .40 and 38sp bullets.
Old March 30, 2013, 04:49 AM   #36
StagrLee

Placed two separate orders and had each within a week:

http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/

Also, you have to keep checking, Wideners had Titegroup in stock a few weeks ago, ordered 8lbs and it was delivered within a week.