The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1
revance

Sliding a Safe

How hard is it to slide (not walk) an 800lb safe(RSC)?

I want to put one in a place that is only a few inches wider and a couple inches taller than the safe. So using PVC, dowels, balls, etc won't work unless they are about 0.5" thick and stay under it permanently.

That leaves sliding it. I have no comprehension of what sliding 800lbs is like. What am I getting myself into? Is there a good material I can put down on the floor to slide better? Maybe some of that white plastic laminated plywood?

Any suggestions?
Old January 30, 2013, 09:36 AM   #2
HiBC

What kind of floor? Not that I have the answer,but it a place to start.I have pushed Bridgeport Mills across smooth concrete myself.Your safe mfgr may have ideas.I bet there is some cushion of air solution but I do not know what.
I wonder if it would slide easy if you laid down a flat piece of maybe 12 gage steel in the space,slid it steel on steel.Or a couple chunks of angle iron,like sliding it into a rack.Seperate them to correct width by welding a flat strip across the backside,to go against the baseboard.Could be you could get it started in on those.You would be sliding steel on steel on the outer edges of the safeIt would leave you with a small airgap under the center portion of the safe.

Just raw brainstorm ideas,maybe they will trigger a good solution.

Last edited by HiBC; January 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
revance

Any kind of floor. Currently its concrete, but I have to build it up with something about 2" so it clears a water line. I was planning on using drywall to raise it up so it can provide insulation too. I can put whatever I want on top of that.

I am really starting to like the idea of putting down some white plastic laminate. That should be slippery. If its not good enough, I could also grease it with some silicone grease. That would be cheaper than steel.

The other thing I am trying to decide is whether to get a 30" wide safe that will fit beside that water pipe, or a 39" that would hang over the water pipe. I am a little worried about not having easy access to the pipe should it develop a leak. It's a 1/2" supply line to a spigot on the other side of the wall. It comes out of the slab right where I need to move the safe. I am planning on putting a 90deg angle right where it comes out of the slab an run it along the floor to a new location. That is why I need to elevate the floor a couple inches, to make room for that.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Spammy_H

I haven't tried it myself, but I was told the poor-man's safe dolly is golf balls and a hula hoop:

-put a bunch of golf balls into a hula hoop on the floor
-tilt the safe back
-slide the hula hoop under the safe
-roll safe

It seems to make sense to me.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
revance

Golf balls and similar tricks won't work.

The space is only a couple inches taller than the safe. So golf balls (even if they do fit) will be permanently stuck under it because there won't be room to rock the safe up to get them out.

It has to slide into place. Anything under it is there to stay.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Spammy_H

Sorry - I didn't catch that on the first read. How about really small ball bearings? Although I don't know what would be a good containment hoop for them - take a piece of refrigerator water line coupled end-to end?

Perhaps you would then have enough room to slide them out by pulling on the hoop afterwards.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:50 AM   #7
musher

a couple of strips of of 1/8 or 1/16 white plastic will work as runners. Make them long enough to get a good grip on with a line or vice grips in order to remove them.

If you have an opposing wall within a reasonable distance, you can set a 2x4 on edge against the opposing wall, then use a bottle (hydraulic) jack to push a 4x4 against the safe. It will be tedious, but you can do it.

You can do it this way w/o runners, but might scar the flooring.

I wouldn't put drywall under the safe. If it's sitting on flooring over concrete, you won't have fire exposure there. The drywall will come apart over time with the weight sitting on it.

Edit--just reread the bit about the water pipe. DON'T put the safe somewhere you will have to move it to work on the pipe. The universe is constructed in such a way that this will cause you to need to move the safe repeatedly.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

There are "slide pads" that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes that will take heavy weight and which do an amazingly good job at allowing you to slide large, heavy objects.

"I was planning on using drywall to raise it up so it can provide insulation too."

There's an even bigger reason not to use drywall...

If it gets wet, drywall will hold moisture against the bottom of the safe and can, over time, rot it out.

You want something impermeable between the floor and your safe. A thickness or two of vinyl flooring is an excellent option.

Or, you can just leave it on the slider pads and you'll have some air space between the floor and the safe.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
F. Guffey

Ask about ‘roller lifts’, something like a tall hydraulic jack that comes in two pieces and are attacked to each end and or sides, complete with wheels. The two pieces are secured together then used to raise?

“but I have to build it up with something about 2" so it clears a water line’

I would set the safe down on steel pipe laid on both sides of the water line, rather than use the pipes as a roller I would push the safe across the length of the pipe, then there is plywood or masonite board, rent or purchase to protect the floor.

Then there are Johnson bars, long handle for leverage with a wedge in front of the axle, some refer to the ‘J’ bar as a mule.

Many years ago I was sent out to move a string of box cars, getting the cars to move was one thing, stopping them was another matter.

There are grand piano ‘dollies’ something like a plate with three wheels, one goes under each of the 3 legs, again, protect the floor with plywood and or masonite, avoid sudden stops, and carpet, anything that offers resistance to rolling with stretch carpet, you can do a good job on the safe, after setting the safe it will be time to tighten the carpet.

F. Guffey
Old January 30, 2013, 12:04 PM   #10
F. Guffey

Forgive, do not leave rollers and or wheels under the safe unless it is in the basement, with at least one flight of stairs to defeat before getting it to street level.

F. Guffey
Old January 30, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11
mikikanazawa

My safe is in a restricted area (an alcove). I pulled it out once to paint the floor, so I've had the pleasure of installing it twice!

In both cases I removed the door. On my safe it's just a matter of opening the door and lifting it off the hinge pins. No big deal.

To move it I tilted it over at 45° and "walked" it right into the alcove. It was surprisingly easy SO LONG as I kept it on its balance point! The safe didn't get away from me, but if it did, my contingency plan was to GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!

The second time I installed it, I slid it in on "Moving Men" furniture slider pads. The pads only lasted through the one job as I had them way overloaded. But they did the job. And I was actually able to remove them using a Porta-Power and toe jack. I rented the Porta Power for another job, and had it for the day, so it was handy.

When bolting the safe to a concrete floor, my recommendation is using Hilti anchors instead of Red Heads. Red Heads leave the stud protruding above the floor -- so good luck ever getting that safe back out. The Hiltis are sub-grade, so when you remove the bolts/studs it's like they were never there!
Old January 30, 2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!"

Good plan.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
revance

I won't be able to tilt it or remove the door. Final measurements show I will have 1" clearance above the safe (after building up the floor) and 1" clearance on the width. It's a snug fit! That is why I am worried about sliding it.

I cant take the door off because I don't think there is enough room to put the door back on. It won't open all the way once in place. I assume it must be at least open 90 degrees to get back on the hinges.

Good argument against drywall, I might stick with wood and a water barrier of some sort.

I think my current plan for sliding is to put down some white board and lube with graphite. That should make it pretty darn slippery and can be left under it.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Jim Watson

I'd see if those As Seen On TV sliders worked.

As F Guffey says, any sort of moving aid left in place is an aid to thieves.
If you can't get your slide out, you really should bolt the safe down when in place.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
revance

Those sliders are great for furniture, but are pretty flimsy. I'm sure they would crack under a safe.

That is essentially what the white board would do... provide low friction interface between the safe and floor. Plus it can be left under it. Yes it will be bolted down.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
revance

What is the general consensus on whether it's doable to slide a 900lb safe straight back into a hole with only a half inch of clearance on either side?

Should I try? Or should I just get a smaller safe?
Old January 31, 2013, 01:27 PM   #17
spacecoast

Quote:
Those sliders are great for furniture, but are pretty flimsy. I'm sure they would crack under a safe.
If you had enough of them (maybe a dozen or more) the weight on any one of them may not be enough to damage it. Some of them are 2-3" in diameter for heavy furniture. Also, if possible you might try removing the door of the safe to lighten it some.

Quote:
Should I try? Or should I just get a smaller safe?
I think it would be worth a try if that's the spot you have picked out. That safe's way heavier than a fridge though (200-500 lbs), so be careful. I helped move an average sized gun safe this past summer and it was quite a load for 4 guys and a heavy duty dolly. We had to build a ramp just to get it into the house. I think professional movers have better transport mechanisms for safes.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:55 PM   #18
overhead

I moved a similar sized safe by sliding it on 3/4 inch sanded plywood. I did not use any grease or anything because I did not want it to end up on the floor in a spot where I needed to push. It was hard enough without having to worry about slipping and falling on my rear end. I had to walk it and slide it to get it to move. The 1/2 gap might prove challenging, but I imagine you can work it in there. Now getting back out again, if required, might be a tad more difficult. I moved mine by myself, I would not suggest that
Old January 31, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
southjk

Are the bottom of safes generally flat to the floor or do they have feet? I have a new 410lb safe in the box in my garage and I was just wondering myself what to put under it to slide it into a closet. I figure I could put a number of sliders under it and could use more than four if it is just a flat surface.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:00 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

A drywall floor will probably compress under the weight of the safe.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:37 PM   #21
PetahW

I don't think you'll need to build up the floor to clear the water pipe.

1) Measure the distance from the top of the existing concrete floor to the top of the water line + 1/4".

2) Buy a 72" long section of squared-off 4" wide, "U"-shaped angle iron - which will be cut in half (36" each), with one half placed (front-to-back) on each side of the safe cavity.

3) Cut the sidewalls of the angle iron so that the 4" wide top flat towers 1/4" above the height of the water pipe.

(Notches for the waterpipe would need to be cut into the angle irons in order so they can straddle the waterpipe.)

4) Use plastic sliders and a couple of beer-crazed friends/relatives to tip the back or the (empty) safe on to the angle irons (now converted to a pair of rails) & slide that puppy home.

Old January 31, 2013, 07:56 PM   #22
ohen cepel

I would try the furniture sliders, lots of them, plus they thin enough you can still bolt it to the floor with them under there. Also, good idea to have a gap under the safe so moisture doesn't build up under it and rust the bottom out.

A small gap under it is also good to run a power cord in if you have a dry-rod.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 31, 2013, 11:44 PM   #23
wstein

I used the heavy duty furniture sliders when I moved my safe. I got the 3in ones which support several hundred pounds and just used one on each corner. Now I wasn't sliding my safe around on concrete but instead on a hardwood floor and I only slid it a total of 5 feet. I left the sliders under my safe to give it a little ventilation underneath it.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old February 1, 2013, 09:26 PM   #24
M3 Pilot

you might want to try rollling it on sections of PVC pipe
Old February 2, 2013, 09:37 AM   #25
pnolans

a REALLY cheap solution for sliding furniture is cardboard. I've slid a fair amount of really heavy , awkward, stuff with cardboard.

Sadly , it seems to work best on carpet. But it will work on concrete too.
The big challenge for the OP at this point is to get some cardboard under it.

Believe it or not. I've used it before. I've moved a lot of stuff by myself using it. And I'm old...

Think Newtonian physics. Friction.. Break the adhesion and keep it moving.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.