The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1
EvilE

Aluminum and steel cased ammo in revolvers?

I recently acquired a taurus judge poly in a trade. It takes 45LC and 410 loads.
I am having a hard time finding 45 colt ammo, but a local gun store has some in stock, but it's aluminum cased FMJ. Blazer.
Now, I only use steel cased in my SKS, but not in my handguns. I understand the ejection and ejector issues steel/aluminum cased causes in semi autos, but since revolvers don't eject the spent shells, is it ok to use aluminum cased in revolvers? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by EvilE; December 4, 2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old December 3, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Dragline45

It's perfectly fine to used steel case ammo in revolvers, but be aware that you may get the occasional stuck case when ejecting the empties. When a round is fired the casing expands and seals the chamber, brass being more elastic than steel contracts back to it's original size easier than steel does which can cause them to get stuck.
Old December 3, 2014, 11:38 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

CCI BLAZER is not steel cased. It is aluminum. I got a box of .44 Mag, and fired it in a Ruger Vaquero. It all went bang. The load seemed a little lighter than what I usually shoot.'

Blazer aluminum cases are not intended to be reloaded. Shoot them, then toss the cases.
Old December 3, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

^^^this^^^
They may have a steel color to them, but they are aluminum.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 3, 2014, 11:59 PM   #5
skizzums

they are pretty soft and thin compared to the steel casings, and (although I am not positive) they seem like they would be easier on ejectors/extractors. I doubt it would give you too much hassle in a revolver except for maybe a little stiffer to get out of the cylinder..
Old December 4, 2014, 12:30 AM   #6
GaryED50

Just wondering are blazers still berdan primed?

Gary
Old December 4, 2014, 12:47 AM   #7
EvilE

Oops thanks, I know Blazer is aluminum, I was confusing it with steel cased tulammo I use in my sks.....
In any case, so the Blazer aluminum is GTG with revolvers then?
Old December 4, 2014, 01:08 AM   #8
Nick_C_S

Steel. . . Aluminum. . . Not going in my revolvers.
Old December 4, 2014, 01:09 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

Yup, will work fine. I've been shooting Blazer 158 gr. LSWCHP +P for a while in my S&W Model 10, Ruger GP 100, and Ruger LCR since I happened into a couple cases of the stuff a few years ago. In fact, until I found some Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, that was what I carried in my LCR.
Haven't had a bit of trouble with it.
Not sure of your state laws, but Cheaper Than Dirt, and other on line sellers have 45 Colt from various makers.
My Poly resides next to the seat in my truck stoked with first two up Federal Premium Handgun 000 Buck followed by three Winchester PDX1 Bonded 225 gr HP 45 Colt rounds. The PDX1 45 Colt is very accurate in my PD Poly.
Old December 4, 2014, 05:37 AM   #10
peggysue

I did not think they make 45C with aluminum cases. I would use it in my revolvers as I do not reload. I Checked the on-line stores and I see it for $46 + shipping. BUT Out of Stock. I prefer Win Silver Tips in the 45C I carry concealed. Glad I have accumulated a lot. The Taurus Judge and S&W's copy of it has increased the popularity of 45C.

Last edited by peggysue; December 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old December 4, 2014, 09:13 AM   #11
EvilE

Yes they make blazer aluminum case for .45lc
Old December 4, 2014, 09:26 AM   #12
CajunBass

Quote:
Just wondering are blazers still berdan primed?
The last of them I used about a year or so ago were.

I've used them in all kinds of guns. Never had any trouble with them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 4, 2014, 09:32 AM   #13
riflemen

a few years back I got a bunch of Blazer ammo {all different rounds} in a lot I bought off of a customer of mine {he owned a storage facility, and the guy didn't pay so they sold his stuff}. There was like 10K rounds, some of which I would never shoot like 32acp, 25, and 44, so I sold that to a gun shop, but there was tons of 45, 38, 9mm, and 40cal, all of which I shot up as fast as I could.. Belive it or not as far as accuracy and consistency they stuff worked, I noticed my sig 40 wasn't crazy about it for some reason, but I shot that stuff for a solid year and couldn't complain about it, especially since I paid $500 for it all and sold the stuff I didn't want for $250, we did the math one day it came out to like 2 cents a round... I wish I could do that all the time, I would never reload again...
Old December 4, 2014, 09:38 AM   #14
skizzums

they use berdan primers to prevent people from reloading it. not sure why, if people wana do it, why not let them.
Old December 4, 2014, 11:00 AM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
they use berdan primers to prevent people from reloading it. not sure why, if people wana do it, why not let them.
Because aluminum is not as malleable as brass, and will not hold up to expanding, and resizing.
Maybe a little CYA from the legal department to avoid legal problems when the reloaded aluminum classes split. Maybe a little courtesy to reloaders to know they are not reloadable.
Old December 4, 2014, 12:03 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Blazers are best in revolvers, or single shots because the mechanisms stress the cases the least. In autoloaders, they work in traditional auto pistol rounds because these rounds are short, and the differences between brass and aluminum are not enough to affect functioning.

Take a "long" revolver case Blazer (.357 mag) and put it in an autoloader (Coonan, Desert Eagle, LAR Grizzly) and you have a good chance of trouble. Feeding/extraction issues, often torn case rims, etc.

The .45 Colt case has a pretty small rim. It is bigger today than it was in 1873, but it's still not as large and robust , proportionately, as other more modern case designs. Blazer cases in an SA revolver are of no concern. In a DA revolver, it is possible the small, aluminum rim might give problems if the ejector isn't operated "just right".

Not a guarantee, but enough of a possibility that I wouldn't recommend Blazer .45 Colt ammo in a DA gun where it might possibly be used for self defense. SO, ok for plinking, or practice in your Raging Romping Judge Governator, etc, or your Redhawk, or S&W .45LC, but not a good choice for defense ammo.
Old December 4, 2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Bob Wright

Not only is Blazer ammunition Berdan primed, it uses an odd size primer that is not available commercially to prevent reloading.

There are tools made to reload Berdan primed cartridges.

Bob Wright
Old December 12, 2014, 12:53 AM   #18
EvilE

I just don't see how aluminum ammo would be of any concern in revolver usage.....
Old December 12, 2014, 01:14 AM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

The only real problem I've had with aluminum ammo is that the aluminum cases don't seem to "grip" the bullets as well as brass cases do. I've noticed setback in autopistols and some crimp jump in revolvers. Not enough to cause problems (at least not at the levels I've observed), but more than I ever seen in brass case ammo.
Old December 12, 2014, 08:18 AM   #20
TimSr

Aluminum cased Blazer ammo used to be the filthiest crap you could put in your gun, and their lead left a mess in everything. It was berdan primed, and not reloadable. I noticed now they have a lot with real boxer primed brass and jacketed bullets so I hope it's improved. You'll be fine with the aluminum case stuff and jacketed bullets, but I'd still expect a lot of soot inside, outside, and on your hands.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:42 AM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Names get confusing..

BLAZER is aluminium cased, non reloadable ammo. Designed that way to be cheap practice ammo.

BLAZER BRASS is regular brass cased, reloadable conventional ammo. And it costs more, like everyone else's regular ammo.