The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Stumpy

looking for timber stock for AXIS rifle.

Hello to all.
I have a Savage AXIS 223 sporster barrel and have found that the plastic stock even though its free floating rest on the barrel at the very end of the stock. Does anyone know of a stock maker that makes a wood/laminate stock for said rifle?
I have tried BOYDS and even Email them.They sent me a rely and it said,"not at this time."
Have searched the net for other stock makers and found nothing so far.
Or if someone knows how to stiffen the fore section of the stock up let me know as this rifle shots very well as long as you dont us a rifle rest/bi-pod to far up the stock.
I live in Australia and hunt rabbits/dogs/cats and most other vermin with this rifle.
Thanks for taking the time to read this message.
Old December 29, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

A few days ago I saw the same question somewhere else on this forum. It seems that no one at this time makes an aftermarket stock for this rifle (for a good reason). It seems that the recoil lug for this rifle is actually part of the stock and not the receiver. This is opposite of every other manufacturer and seems to be a Savage experiment.

All the posters in the other section gave it as their opinion that it would be a very long time (if ever) that an aftermarket stock would be available for this rifle.