The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 14, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
9mm

Impact sports elctronic earmuff no good! (for me)[rant]

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff

Just went to the gun range tonight to try out my new earmuffs!

I notice right away it was very loud.... I turn them on, about the same, full power and about the same.. NO GOOD! What am I doing wrong? I took my glasses off and they still sounded very loud!!! With the sound on max I could hear others talking very good but the guns going off still hurt my ears. Right now I have a bit of ringing in my ear. I swear my cheap $10 muffs from walmart did better. What did I do wrong?? Very mad, paid $60 for these and expected it to be way better than $10 muffs.

I even talked to a guy there with the same muffs, he said its quite for him. Are my muffs defective?

I kept adjusting them the whole time I was there, even my shooting buddy said whats up with the muff adjustment.

I am going cut the grass tomorrow and see if I can adjust these, they said up to 80db.... I will test it with the Ipod and see if it can be quite.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Tuzo

Apologies for sounding too obvious - is the battery fresh and properly installed? If so then your hearing protection is defective.

Amazon.com reviews are generally good for your electronic hearing protection.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
9mm

Quote:
Apologies for sounding too obvious - is the battery fresh and properly installed? If so then your hearing protection is defective.

Amazon.com reviews are generally good for your electronic hearing protection

Yes brand new ones, I will even double check again tomorrow when I cut the grass to put newer ones in... I bought it because amazon gave it over 300 reviews @ 4 or higher
Old June 14, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

Sounds like something is wrong with them. Weak batteries should give you less/no sound not more because those muffs transmit sound from the microphones or stop when it's noisy. They aren't active "noise canceling" style.

I read a couple of reviews on that model where people complained that the "ear cup gaskets" are too hard and don't form fit to provide a good seal. If true that can render muffs essentially useless since it provides a nice open channel for sound around shooting glasses.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:34 PM   #5
9mm

Doesn't fit my ear 100% but thats not the problem. The problem is it's not cutting the sharp shounds out. I have it on 100%/75/50/25/0% and the thing is still sharp sounds.

BTW just changed batteries.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:55 PM   #6
9mm

I tryed holding/pushing for a seal, the muffs to my ears, all different angles.
Old June 14, 2011, 10:14 PM   #7
ZeSpectre

It sounds like there is a gap someplace, possibly even in construction internally, that is letting sound in.

Or possibly you just need muffs with a higher suppression rating, my wife is like that.
Old June 14, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
9mm

I dont think so, my walmart ones are rated way lower, and more quite than these.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:13 AM   #9
B. Lahey

Quote:
Doesn't fit my ear 100% but thats not the problem
That's the problem. If there is not a tight seal all the way around your ears, you may as well be wearing nothing.
Old June 15, 2011, 11:50 AM   #10
wogpotter

It has to be a fit problem.
How thick are the arms of your glasses? Thick ones frequently make for a break in the seal & any break is too much.

Daft question (maybe) are you wearing them correctly? I ask because I once had someone put the fitting that is supposed to go under the earlobe over it & have a similar complaint. The fit has to be 100% against the skull, not the ear itself.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 15, 2011, 11:58 AM   #11
9mm

Update, I took my glasses off and put them higher up on my head, not around my ears to break a seal. I got the earmuffs fitted quite well, they still are not "silent" I had my Ipod turned full blast, and the knob on 25%ish, its not that loud, and when I put the sound on the muffs to max, it has a fuzzy static sound, the sound of the mower doesn't change, it makes it louder. I thought it made it more quite? I have a good seal but the knob doesn't change sounds outside, just makes voices louder to hear not dulling a mower..

Over all they are a little better now than my $10 ones, but I do not feel like I am getting 82db protection, more like 30~40.
Old June 15, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
BeachHead

You have to remember these are merely noise amplification muffs, that's why there's a microphone on one side. They are not Bose noise-canceling headphones.

If the cups aren't forming a tight seal around your ears, then you've definitely found your problem. Return the muffs and try something else. Or you could always wear earplugs under your Walmarts.
Old June 15, 2011, 01:09 PM   #13
9mm

Quote:
You have to remember these are merely noise amplification muffs
Thought they where close to it... 300+ reviews amazon shows 4/5 stars, box says 82db... I feel like I am getting 30~40. Still good to use with Ipod music though.
Old June 15, 2011, 01:37 PM   #14
NWPilgrim

Sounds like the noise clamping circuit is not working. I would contact the vendor or manufacturer to have them replace/investigate.

They are supposed to amplify "normal noises" like voice or other continuous sounds, so not sure they would work for mower noise unless it is really loud. Their electronics should "clamp" on loud sharp noises such as gunshots. Any sound exceeding the limit gets the microphone cut off.

I have the Peltor Tac7 muffs and they clamp and unclamp very quickly on gun shots. You can barely hear the gunshot, but the echo is amplified to the degree you have it adjusted.

I think you have a faulty circuit.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old June 15, 2011, 01:49 PM   #15
9mm

Quote:
I think you have a faulty circuit.
I believe so. I turn it on any level and it cuts nothing off. I can hear like a plastic bag sounds more but theres a static/fuzzy noise also that shouldn't be there.
Old June 15, 2011, 03:15 PM   #16
9mm

Update, returning, in 2 weeks I should have a new pair. Which I will test out and report back.
Old June 21, 2011, 02:05 PM   #17
9mm

Update

So I got my "replacement" in today, its the same sound. I think they have a bad batch. I notice with the replacement I did get instructions, the first pair HAD no instructions with it. I noticed the knob for the sound is different than my other one, it gets stiff then goes into like "overdrive" mode? I have no clue. You know when you turn it on/off? the knob gets that "click" sound well my knob once you go to full, it does another "click" and goes louder. I think these are more broken lol...
Old June 22, 2011, 02:02 PM   #18
9mm

Are they broken?
Old June 22, 2011, 04:05 PM   #19
wogpotter

At this point I honestly don't know any more.
Maybe this will help you decide, although you seem to have done that already.
How do they reduce noise without any batteries installed?
Can you mess with the fit so that there is a position where they work well at reducing sounds (still without batteries installed)?

If you can make this happen then there is hope for them because the battery-powered electronics have nothing to do with reducing noise, this is done with fit, padding, hard cups & sound deadening materials.

All the powered stuff does is to cut down the amount of amplification given to the noise collected by the microphones. So lets try the sound absorption first & if we can get that working go on to amplification & clipping as a second step.

My electronic muffs have no apparent effect till I pass a threshold, which I hear immediately, after which they amplify faint noises ( this is how I can tell the electronics are working & tuned), but still don't pass loud noises electronically, even after I pass this point. They will still allow some sound through whatever I do, this is the sound beyond the 28dB reduction they claim for the un-powered setup.

Old June 22, 2011, 05:15 PM   #20
9mm

Quote:
How do they reduce noise without any batteries installed?
Can you mess with the fit so that there is a position where they work well at reducing sounds (still without batteries installed)?
They have NRR rating of 22. At least I can use my Ipod with them.

Quote:
My electronic muffs have no apparent effect till I pass a threshold, which I hear immediately, after which they amplify faint noises ( this is how I can tell the electronics are working & tuned), but still don't pass loud noises electronically, even after I pass this point. They will still allow some sound through whatever I do, this is the sound beyond the 28dB reduction they claim for the un-powered setup.
With mine turned up all the way, I can hear voices well, a plastic bag very good.
But when you turn something loud on like a blender, the thing makes them louder...

With the muffs on my head and OFF the difference in sound from using the knob(on, 10%~100%) is not that much noticeable.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:05 PM   #21
BeachHead

I think that's the point behind them. The low-profile muffs don't electronically reduce loud noises (over a certain dB rating) through witchcraft. They simply reduce noise like a set of regular earmuffs would. The battery power is used to drive the microphone to amplify faint noises like a rangemaster yelling at the guy next to you for shooting a hanger. Like I said, double-up with earplugs. Or, maybe, try a set of ProEars muffs and let the rest of us know if they're worth the extra money. I, for one, would like to know if they're a worthwhile investment.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:04 PM   #22
wogpotter

Respectfully I didn't ask you for the rating, I asked you if they reduce noise without the battery installed. I asked you that for a reason. To try to help you. How well do they reduce noise without batteries installed? If they cant do that they don't work as muffs, powered or not.

A blender is supposed to be louder when you amplify it that's how amplification works. All the electronic muffs allow noise below a threshold through, louder noises are louder than quiet noises that's normal. The noise reduction ONLY works above whatever threshold the factory sets.

Please understand I'm not trying to argue with you here, just help you to have a realistic expectation of how these work.

Old June 22, 2011, 10:30 PM   #23
9mm

Quote:
Respectfully I didn't ask you for the rating, I asked you if they reduce noise without the battery installed.
The NRR rating is OFF I believe, it says on the back of the box it goes up to 82dbs. Yes they do work without the batterys.
Old June 23, 2011, 03:42 PM   #24
wogpotter

You have me completely confused now. "NRR" (Noise Reduction Rating) isn't a function its a rating for how much they reduce ambient noise. If I found the right info on your model it is 22dB I don't see how you can turn a rating OFF?

The 82dB you mention is probably the "clip point". What that means is the a the electronics don't cut off a sound unless it is higher than 82dB. I don't have noise ratings for blenders but I'll guess it is way below that point.

A quick search found this:http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2 model & it has slim line ear-cups, is this right? I had a problem with one model (not this one) where the interior of the cup contacted my earlobe & broke the seal, thus making them not work at all well. Can you feel the inside of the cups contacting your ear at all?

Last edited by wogpotter; June 23, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old July 9, 2011, 02:05 PM   #25
Rj1972

I'll throw in my 2 cents since I just got these as well. This is how I show them to others (and everyone is pretty impressed).

I put them on (someone else), turn it up, and show them how we can have a normal conversation and they can hear everything. Then I clap relatively near their ear. They are surprised how this ISN'T SUPER loud. No, it's not totally quiet, after all these are 22 NRR, not 31. But then they take them off and I clap the same distance and the same intensity. They're surprised how much louder it is.

So in this instance they worked perfectly, amplifying noise below a threshold. Once that threshold is met, they simply turn OFF amplification. If they're not turned on, the clap should = the same noise level with them turned on.

Edit: note at the range, I plan on doubling up with foam plugs since 22 NRR isn't going to cut it when the guy next to me is doing 44 mag (at an indoor range). For an outdoor range or hunting, i think these are awesome (plus they're easily compacted).