The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2002, 10:50 AM   #1
Rifter

Need reloading kit, what do you suggest?

Im going to start reloading, whats a good kit to start with, i have herd good things about the RCBS Rockchucker master Reloader Kit. Which dies should i get to go with it? I will be loading for accuracy not volume. Thanks.
Old October 7, 2002, 03:22 PM   #2
Bogie

What calibers?

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 7, 2002, 03:37 PM   #3
Rifter

.308 to start with.
Old October 7, 2002, 04:21 PM   #4
Steve Smith

Nothing wrong with the Rockchucker, BUT at least add the Hornady LNL system to it.

Personally, I'm a turret press fan and the Redding T-7 looks great.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 7, 2002, 05:28 PM   #5
dakotasin

i reload quite a few rifle calibers and one handgun.

the rockchucker seems kind of slow for pistol applications...

but, i do produce extremely accurate rifle ammo w/ it, and can produce it fast enough to make me happy.

were i to do it over again, i'd go w/ the rockchucker system.

for dies, perhaps you want to consider redding... rcbs dies work fine, and in the calibers i use them in, i get great accuracy (not benchrest accuracy, but certainly better than anything the factory puts out).
Old October 8, 2002, 06:08 AM   #6
sleeping dog

I got the rockchucker kit and I like it. I also got Lee Deluxe Rifle Dies which seem to be good. Then a tumbler, a dial caliper, some RCBS spray case lube, and a RCBS Universal Decapping die (so I can de-cap before cleaning the brass).

I use the powder dispenser that came with the kit, but for more precise loading with extruded powder, I use the kit's 5-0-5 scale, lee scoops, and a RCBS trickler. If you stay with ball powder or short extruded, you won't need the scoops or trickler, the kit's dispenser is pretty good.

Regards.
Old October 8, 2002, 10:39 AM   #7
sricciardelli

RCBS Master Rock Chucker Reloading Kit and the RCBS Accessory Kit.

Might as well stay with RCBS for your dies, also.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:30 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

"KITS"

RCBS or Redding.
Old October 9, 2002, 06:17 AM   #9
Khornet

I second

the Rockchucker fans. I like some of Lee's dies, esp. their collet dies for neck-sizing, but I prefer RCBS press. Lee, RCBS, Redding dies are excellent. You can get pretty fancy too: Sinclair neck dies, Forster competition micrometer seater, etc. All good fun.

But invest in a good seating depth gauge, like the Sinclair 'nut', and good case gauges. And get a log book, to record EVERYTHING about each batch--you'll learn a lot. And my handloading log has turned into a sort of diary as well; I add little notes such as which of my kids helped with a batch, when and where I fired it and with whom, what '06 loads took a deer. It's amazing, when I go to look up a particular recipe, the memories that come back! Go for it, you'll have a great time.
Old October 10, 2002, 01:11 AM   #10
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Another vote for the R.C.B.S. "Rockchucker" kit!
I prefer Lyman's tungsten carbide dies; but RCBS dies
aren't bad.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 10, 2002, 10:04 AM   #11
Rifter

Ok, I will be getting the R.C.B.S. Rockchucker kit with the RCBC Dies. What are some good loads you suggest? Im ordering some Winchester 748 powder and winchester brass, and some sierra matchking bullets, 168 grain HPBT. I will look in the manual that comes with the kit when i get it but im sure you guys have some loads that work well for you, note i dont have a gun YET. Im waiting for my PAL, sent in the paperwork and am just waiting to get my card. But when i do i will be buying a Savage 10FP LE2, thats a Bolt action with a 26" Barrel. Thanks guys.
Old October 10, 2002, 02:44 PM   #12
dakotasin

varget and rl-15 work very well w/ that weight bullet.

i also like cci br-2 primers. have had luck w/ federal large rifle, too, but gravitate toward the cci br's. for brass, my preference is winchester.

beyond that, some experimantation is in order on your part - and that is where the fun begins.
Old October 11, 2002, 03:08 AM   #13
NotQuiteSane

Hmm, I'm gonna make a diffrent suggestion than the others.

Don't buy a kit.

Yet.

find someone who will let you use their press. crank out a few hundred rounds under their supervision. then start looking. for non-wildcats, any press on the market should be fine. especially if you're only neck sizing the brass.

I've gotten by loading .45 acp and .30-06 for almost a decade now with a lee hand press. slow, but it was cheap (especially since I bought it as a teen), and it works.

but reloading (and casting, also fun) takes money to get started. make sure you want to do it before you invest

NQS

Right the wrongs with the Bill of Rights Smith for Prez!
Old October 11, 2002, 10:03 AM   #14
Rifter

Im sure i want to do it, I have always been into guns, I have had many airguns some of them match quality, now im moving up to centerfire it just took me so long because i have to be 21 in canada's near impossible gun laws. That said the main use of my new gun will be Long rnage target shooting as well as hunting, i cant afford 2 guns so i need to get one that will do both, i have been told that the savage will be accurate enough for target shooting as well as light enough and durable enough for hunting with. I may have got a deal on a used reloading kit, which is good cause now i may be able to get a aftermarket stock for the gun, i hear the savages can be a little flimsy. I will reload mostly match quality ammo, and am going for accuracy over speed. I will buy cheap surplus ammo for general plinking and use the handloads when im trying for real accuracy. Thanks again for all the help guys.