The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Ultimate Fall Turkey Hunting Gun

Yes, spring turkeys is almost upon us, where only shotguns are allowed, but last fall I was hunting them (trying to) with a shotgun, and began to think that a perfect gun for the fall would be a Savage Combo gun in 12 ga & a rifle caliber for when you see them at longer ranges (rifles are OK in the fall here). I would put a low-power scope (like a 1-4) or red dot on it, sighted in for the rifle, and use the scope on 1 power or perhaps see-through mounts for the 12 ga. So, the question is, which of these is the better choice:

1. .223 / 12 ga,
or
2. .17hmr / 12 ga
or
3. .22 hornet / 12 ga

I'm thinking hornet, but maybe .223 - thoughts?

http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm
Old March 19, 2006, 01:09 AM   #2
dallasconundrum

I'd probably lean towards the hornet as well.
Old March 19, 2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Greybeard

I've got a Savage 24, .222 over 20 ga. mag with El Cheapo 3-9. Give me about 2 weeks and I'll maybe have a more definitive answer.

A couple or four hunter ed. students over the years have told me they've centerpunched 'em with .223 55 grain soft points without much meat damage ...

My brother though sez rifles for turkey is " cheatin' ". He borrowed my combo gun a few years back. Knocked a gobbler off his feet with the 20 gauge barrel. And it promptly got up and flew off. Guess who went back to a 12 gauge. ?

FWIW, the barrels on the Savage combo guns are not necessarily "in tune", so allow yourself some time to put some lead on paper in advance. When my scope is zeroed dead nuts with the rifle barrel, the best part of the (full choke) pattern with the shotgun is low and left ...
Old March 19, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Greybeard, thanks for the info on the Savage and the .223 working. Spartan/Baikal has a 12 ga/.223 also, but it has the shotgun on top instead - any idea whether this one has a reputation for being more in tune (both barrels)?

http://www.spartangunworks.com/spr94_centerfire.htm