The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2005, 11:23 PM   #151
tex_n_cal

Shorts, you've done a nice job with that project. A 9mm Commander is a fun gun, very handy and well balanced for the caliber.

Good luck to you and your hubby in Japan - and thank you for your service to our country
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand
Old August 2, 2005, 07:56 AM   #152
Unclenick
Staff

After getting maybe a third of the way into my virtual 1911, I found there already is one on line, and it's a good illustration in Flash format (so you need the Macromedia Flash Player installed).

On the menu, click in boxes one (top) and two in the first (left) column to split the slide and the frame, and in the third column click the fourth box from the bottom to hide the slide stop. Click on the link in the right-most tab at the bottom to get rid of the recoil reducer. You still have a full-length recoil spring guide, but basically this will show the lock-up nicely.

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Nick

Last edited by Unclenick; August 3, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old August 3, 2005, 09:17 PM   #153
Unclenick
Staff

Shorts,

Genki desu ka? One last thing when you get a chance to read this. The other reason for a stiffer recoil spring than just stopping the arm crawling cases is it retards the whole recoil event. This leaves the case in the chamber a little longer, extracting it after the pressure has dropped a little further, and thus cutting down on case bulging. Tune the gun for the round, as they say. Whoever "they" are. Probably not the Men In Black in this case.

Nick
Old August 7, 2005, 01:11 AM   #154
Shorts

Genki des. Ego ga hanasemas ka? Talk about culture shock. I feel illiterate here, offbase is quite an adventure. But I haven't starved to death or been arrested, so the trip is successful.

Apparently the month of August is sweltering with 100% humidity, kinda like back home TX on the coast. But I'm having a good time, yall should see my tan!

It's wierd being here without my hobbies. I do need all my spare time to memorize words and hopefully more phrases. I am looking forward to the 'easy' of home, where I can order takeout and ask for the wasabe on the side

Just dropping in, I hope the guns back home are behaving themselves and are not going off by accident.
Old August 7, 2005, 07:14 AM   #155
XavierBreath

Konichiwa! Ogenki desu ka? Dou ****eru? Kibu o motte. Yuki o da****e!

So the editor fries Nipponese?!!!!! Good to see you found a keyboard Shorts! Stay in touch!
Old August 7, 2005, 10:48 AM   #156
Unclenick
Staff

Shorts,

Yeah, I expect you'll be asking a lot of people if they can speak English? I got so I could read enough kanji to get around on the trains, but a friend of mine gave the simplest advice for finding the right departure platforms: Just learn to pronounce the name of the destination station, ????-eki. If you ask a non-English speaker where the platform for the destination train is, they will say things you don't understand, but will also point. Just head in the direction they pointed and keep asking. Eventually someone will point in the other direction, and you'll know it was the last platform you passed.

Also, a warning about learning the language: limit your use of mnemonics. There is an old joke about the salesman who tried to remember how to say thank you in Japanese by associating "arigatō" with "alligator", pronouncing it by stopping at the “o”. Later, at the conclusion of an important meeting, he bowed deeply and said "crocodile-o".

Have fun,
Nick
Old August 7, 2005, 01:06 PM   #157
Dave Sample

Domo Arigaro, Shorts! Glad to see you made the trip OK. Also glad you are on line from the Land of the Rising Sun. Enjoy your visit and have a good time there. I sure did.
Old August 17, 2005, 03:23 AM   #158
Shorts

Konbanwa ya'll. I got back 2 days ago and just about fully recovered from the trip. Can I just say that the Lonely Planet Japanese phrasebook is a lifesaver. And I ate things I didn't even know what they were :barf:

Well, I only have a limited amount of time before I must send our guns to live with Dad. It seems that we will be PCSing back to Japan in Dec/Jan time. I feel all rushed now trying to shoot as much as I can!

On a shooting note, we did hit the Akihabara (sp?) and in one shop buried in the mess I ran into a whole slew of airsoft pistols and rifles. Those things are awesome! I can see why they'd be mistaken for a real firearm. The least expensive was a Beretta 92, which went for a cheap $30. Average for a 1911 and various others were $100. The really cool autos were $200+. I'll be exploring the airsoft world once I get there, as well as hitting paintball day every month.

Now back to my 9mm Thing. The slide lugs are getting some good contact with the the front of barrel lugs. So much so, there is some peening going on that I can feel a raised edge on both the slide and barrel lugs. There is also a wierd edge on the front of the barrel lugs which look to be as though the barrel lugs and slide lugs are not parallel with each other. Again, noticeable by the peening.

Also, the front of the barrel bottom lugs (were the link sits) is getting battered by the bottom of the rear hole ledge on the recoil spring guide. What is that about?

Alright, I haven't had my head wrapped around this stuff for a little bit so I'll get it all together soon. I'll also try to get a pic of the peening marks. In all honesty I'm ready to throw away the whole top. But my husband would kill me, especially after what we just paid for the Japan trip! I love shooting this thing, I just need to get it right.
Old August 17, 2005, 09:37 AM   #159
Unclenick
Staff

Shorts,

Glad you had a good trip! I remember Akihabara and all the electronics and other hobby related booths you could peruse there. I was in Japan so long ago that I had to go to Okubo, where the sumo stables are, to buy shoes that fit. At size 11 I was then about a half centimeter too big for the largest standard shoe size. Not true now, I'm sure. The kids there have McDonalded their way to greater height.

The lug thing: In general the terminology I've always heard and used distinguishes them as the "locking lugs" (top of barrel and in the slide) and the "link lugs" (bottom of barrel). The peening of the locking lugs depends on whether the leading or trailing edge is peening? If the former (more likely in a fit-up gun) the barrel extension (hood) being slightly too long could cause the locking lugs to try to engage too soon. Taking of a thousandth or two off is all that it would require. Also, did you chamfer the front edges of the locking lugs a-la-Hallock? This helps them line up and may also be all you need to cure the problem without touching the barrel extension.

Battering of the trailing edges would be odd, but a very short barrel extension combined with a very long link might conceivably do it. It depends where the peening is. If it were only on the rearmost locking lugs, the other possibility is that the long link is too long and is pushing the back edges of the barrel up into the slide too hard.

Your asymmetric peening is likely due to riding a long link into lockup rather than a cut and scraped set of link lugs. The link allows the barrel to tilt a bit via the small amount of slop in the link pivots, where cut and scrape fit link lugs give a broader base that is fixed with respect to the rest of the barrel. A competent weld-up followed by filing, cutting and scraping would give you this, but it has to be done well. Preferably TIG (tungsten inert gas; a.k.a. heli–arc) welding with the filler material matching the barrel material fairly closely and a chill on the barrel so the heated link lugs can’t affect the temper at the chamber or warp it. It takes some skill, but not rare skill. Talk to some welders and let them demonstrate material addition on the edge of a piece of 1/8” or 3/16” wide scrap if your aren’t sure and they’ve never done it before.

Nick

Last edited by Unclenick; August 17, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old August 17, 2005, 02:21 PM   #160
Jim Watson

I had a short slide-long compensator racegun once that flanged its locking lugs in short order. Gunsmith squared them and it did it again. We repeated the process until the contacting faces of the lugs were beaten down to the locking angle in the shortened slide and it never did it again and shot fine as long as it was competitive, after which I bought a regular slide for it. I'd just clean them up and see if it would seat itself with some use.

The battering on the link lug by the head of the recoil spring guide can be stopped by beveling the appropriate area of the head of the recoil spring guide so they don't touch when installed. Saw this on a big name custom shop pistol once, so bad the slide had about .060" of play in it.

Or it could be misfit as U describes and you can weld up and refit the whole works. But I'd do the simple stuff first.
Old August 17, 2005, 05:39 PM   #161
Shorts

Thanks for the terminology lesson. I still have to stop and go slow when reading through things to make sure I'm visualizing it right

As for the peening, it is the leading edge of the barrel locking lugs, as pictured in Kuhnhausen Fig 64 on pg 50.

I did camfer the edges a bit when I fit the barrel.
Old August 18, 2005, 07:11 AM   #162
Unclenick
Staff

I was in such a hurry to get to work yesterday that I forgot to address the recoil spring guide.

As Jim says, a chamfer of the back inside radius should address this. However, between the battering there, the cases crawing up your arm, and the case bulges, I think you've got three symptoms calling for a heavier recoil spring to slow everything down a little bit.

Nick