The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1
PhilG

Ruger Mark 2

My wife has a Ruger Mk 2 SS with a 5.5" bull barrel and adjustable rear sight.
Some how the rear sight was knocked way to the left - the base in the dovetail. I tried tapping it back in place with a plastic hammer. No luck.

Is this just dovetailed in? Or is there a set screw hidden some place?
I looked at Brownells and all of their tools appeared to be designed for slab sidded pistols. How do I solve this problem for her?
Old July 31, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
g.willikers

If memory serves, the rear sights are removed from left to right.
So, the dovetail must be kind of angled, a little tighter to the left than the right.
Try tapping it with a brass punch just above the bottom, instead of only using the hammer.
Hitting it with the hammer alone might be tilting it some and driving it into the dovetail instead of straight to the right.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
drail

It also helps a great deal to have the gun's frame mounted firmly in a bench vise that is bolted to a heavy bench that cannot move, otherwise most of the energy delivered to the sight base will just be used to move the whole gun. You cannot drift a sight unless the gun is immobilized. Use a brass or nylon punch and at least an 8 oz. hammer. Stike only on the base of the sight. Sometimes the factory will have fitted that dovetail really tight. Holding the gun in your hand while striking it will not get it.

Last edited by drail; August 1, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old August 1, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4
JoeArizona

Phil,
There are some great people on this forum. Very helpful with lots of good experience.

Also, here's a place for some additional information:
www.rimfirecentral.com

Joe
Old August 1, 2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Handyman163

Mine had a set screw on the top of the sight base that holds downward pressure on the receiver to keep the slide from moving. I loosened this small allen screw and was able to knock the sight back to center when mine drifted over. Then re-tightened the screw.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
PhilG

The sight os fixed!

Thank you to all who responded. A brass punch large enough to not mar the sight and some taps with a plastic mallet did the trick.

Like Handyman there is a small screw (slotted) next to the elevation adjusting screw that goes through to hold the sight tight to the receiver. It must have loosened. Not loose any more.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
drail

Keep an on eye on that screw. Threaded fasteners on guns are prone to vibrate loose and can even fall out if you don't catch it in time. Ask any Harley owner.

Tags
ruger rear sight