The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 25, 2007, 05:34 PM   #1
murphjup

Help my MTAC is Uncomfortable...

I just got a new MTAC for Christmas... for my Colt "New Agent" 3" 1911...

I'm 6' and 185.. have the middle age bulg, but am not heavy...

Trying to wear it with a pair of 5.11 shorts with a Wilderness Instructor belt..

I have tried all sorts of postions... mostly 2:30-4:00... the Leather backing sticks to me... the grip on the gun pokes me... Then I tried putting an undershirt on below it, that seems to help... maybe Im not made for IWB...

I was hoping I could wear it "tucked" here in Florida with a T shirt, but it makes your waist line look funny....

I am not bashing I want to make it work... with all the great write ups online I decided to buy one...

Any idea's guys?

Thank you in advance..
Old December 26, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Billy Sparks

I am much heavuer than you and I have found that a short (3" barrelled) automatic that if I wear a IWB my buldge seems to make it lever into my hip. With my Colt Defender I use a OWB (Milt Sparks Summer Special II) and I can conceal it fine under a t-shirt or polo shirt.
Old December 26, 2007, 08:16 PM   #3
AK103K

If your not used to it, IWB takes a little "break in" time, and what your breaking in is you.

The tee shirt is the way to go, regardless of what your holster is made of, but especially if its leather.

It will probably take a week or two of constant wear to start to get used to it. You'll also tend to tire of it quickly at first, but thats natural. Pick a spot that seems comfortable and natural to you and go from there. You may have to tweak it a little as you go on, but you'll see what starts to work and feel right to you pretty quick. Personally, I like mine at about 3:30 or so, just behind the hip bone, as it hides in that little nook under your ribs and you arm hangs naturally there which aids in hiding and protecting your shooter.

I wear my normal pants size. You dont usually need to go up a size or two, but some like to. I find that my pants will feel snug initially, and then I dont notice them after a few minutes. The gun moves around less, as the pants help keep everything in place, where with looser pants, you'll tend to feel a little slop and movement as you move, or at least I do.

IWB is really the most concealable way to carry your gun, and especially larger guns. Although it may not feel real comfortable at first, once you get used to it, you probably wont want to carry any other way, and you'll only notice it when the gun "isnt" there.
Old December 26, 2007, 08:36 PM   #4
murphjup

BillySparks... Thank you for the advice.. I may go that route one day...

AK103... Thank you I will kepp trying it out, hopefully it will work better for me... that's why I made this post, do get some ideas...

Both very helpful...

Old December 27, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
murphjup

Well I wore my MTAC a bit more today with an undershirt underneath it.. and it definately made a difference... there was no imprint on my skin after wearing it most of the day...

So I will keep trying...

Old December 27, 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Ricebrnr

Are you pants "oversized"? That usually helps too. For example I wear a 36 waist but for IWB a 38 waist and larger belt makes a big difference.