The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2015, 11:53 AM   #26
ThomasT

Here is another Mares Leg used in a movie.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Once_Upon_...are.27s_Leg.22
Old October 27, 2015, 05:23 PM   #27
peggysue

Also one used in Firefly and Zombieland

Sorry Serenity not Firefly..lots of converted gun in it..

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Serenity#Inara.27s_weapon

Last edited by peggysue; October 29, 2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old October 27, 2015, 08:38 PM   #28
DPris
Member Emeritus

The levers on the ML & the Rifleman's 92 both changed as the shows progressed.
Denis
Old October 29, 2015, 06:48 PM   #29
Ozzieman

A lone gunsmith in Fort Wayne, Ind., has filed a lawsuit claiming Taurus basically swiped the Ranch Hand Mare's ... swiped the Ranch Hand Mare's Leg pistol ...

That was over 5 years ago.
What I was able to find is that the owner of JB Custom was suing Taurus for "Trademark infringement"
James Buchanan had been making Mare's Let style pistols since 2006 and two years before Taurus brought out its Mare's leg he filed and received a federal trademark on the name.
The lawsuit is over trade "dress" infringement not trademark infringement what ever that means.
For a design that is over 50 years old. Sounds like another stupid lawsuit.
I looked this up because having lived in Fort Wayne for over 35 years and having worked in several gun shops I have never heard of JB Custom
His web shows a beautiful mares leg with a octagon barrel. Its a 30-30 with a 10.5 inch barrel and only holds 3 rounds.
1,695$
Below it states that "This product was added to our catalog on Friday 10 dec 2010."

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 29, 2015, 06:54 PM   #30
Ozzieman

Trade dress infringement
The description has to do with physical appearance and shape and design labeled or presented, promoted or advertised.
The infringement is when the trade dress of two companies is sufficiently similar to cause confusion among consumers.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 29, 2015, 07:50 PM   #31
michael t

I bought a Rossi 357 I liked the TV show also. I loaded mine went to my home range . Shot it dry. Decided Randell would have died . 1 time out unless he was a back shooter. I returned to dealer and traded. for a real pistol I could carry and hit with. Have no desire to have another. I'll take a Winchester 16" Carbine in 44 mag thank you. That a good lever gun. For all around use.
Old October 29, 2015, 08:04 PM   #32
Drm50

Several years ago, probably in the 90s, at the Ohio Gun Collectors Show in
Cleveland, Ohio there was a guy set up with a documented Mares Leg from
the actual TV show. I didn't pay much attention to it, it may have been
modified so as not to fire real ammo. Although a real cut down 92, prop guns
are just that.
Old November 2, 2015, 07:35 PM   #33
Ozzieman

I went looking for some photos from the show and found one I consider humorous. Steve fanning one, that had to hurt the hand.
And a recent photo of the documented real one or one of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dead or alive.jpg (108.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg wanted dead or alive 2.jpg (46.0 KB, 53 views)

Old November 3, 2015, 03:12 PM   #34
DPris
Member Emeritus

The hammer was modified for fanning. Didn't look like it'd be painful.
Denis
Old November 3, 2015, 06:38 PM   #35
Ozzieman

Quote:
Didn't look like it'd be painful.
I agree but why?
The gun would already be cocked.
Oh wait,,, TV
Sorry forgot

Old November 3, 2015, 06:44 PM   #36
DPris
Member Emeritus

Fanning looks cool on the screen.
That's all the decision-making in a nutshell.
Denis
Old November 29, 2016, 03:59 PM   #37
CavScout182

Hello...

Arriving late, but since this thread has been idle for a year... I thought I would give it a bump!

I was one of those that watched the original series.. in my case I was 9-12 years old during its 3 year run. I was also just getting into "real" guns during that time.

At age 10, I got a Remington Model 510 .22 Single shot (I still have it!), and at age 12 I got a Revelation (Western Auto - Marlin) .22 bolt action repeater.

Like all kids in our time, we played out Cowboy fantasies, inspired by our favorite TV heroes. I never had a toy version of the Mares Leg... settling for a "Fanner 50"

In the early 90's, I got into Cowboy Action Shooting, and got to relive those childhood fantasies... only this time... no toy guns!

Fast forward to the first Mares Legs on the open market. First problem was at a price of $1200-$1400 for the custom offerings, they were way out of my budget. Second problem, the first production units just didn't look right... with their 12" barrels and 24" overall length, they looked more like a Trapper with the buttstock bobbed off.

Then Chiappa released a 9" barrel version and 21" overall length. While not quite the original 19" OAL... it was close enough for me!

The prices dipped briefly about a year ago... so I was able to get a new one in .45 Colt for $720!

The large lever loop is odd shaped compared to the originals, but Rio Bravo and Puma Bounty Hunter style levers are available as after market swaps.

Using the back of my left wrist as a forearm rest allows me to hit my spinners as readily as with my Uberti Schofield, using a Weaver/Isosceles grip.

Is it better than a Revolver?... No!
Is it better than a Carbine?... No!

Is it more fun, and "Warm and Fuzzy Feeling" inducing?... YOU BET!

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/824

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2742
Old November 29, 2016, 06:06 PM   #38
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, question. Which is dumber, people who believe Hollywood hokum or people who waste time arguing about it?

Jim
Old November 29, 2016, 08:42 PM   #39
CavScout182

It was my first post to this group!

I was responding to the thread title... "Where to obtain a..."

I gave an introductory story about why I was interested in this thread.

I briefly mentioned my experience with a specific variation of the firearm in the thread title.

I posted two links for variations of the firearm in the thread title, not previously discussed in this thread.

I spent 30 years working for the US Military... from Viet Nam in 1966 to Bradley crew training as a Cavalry Scout Section Leader in 1996, when I retired.

During my time, I also visited Japan, Philippines, Okinawa, Formosa, Hong Kong, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and Alaska.

Reliving the "Fun Times" of my childhood in the 50's is my mental escape from the harsh realities of adulthood.

Firearms have been an integral part of my life from the Junior NRA in school... through duty years... and continues into my retirement years.

I may be a hopeless, sentimental old fool... but I do not consider myself as DUMB!
Old November 29, 2016, 09:18 PM   #40
Blindstitch

Quote:
I may be a hopeless, sentimental old fool... but I do not consider myself as DUMB!
Hang in there. With every topic no matter how good someone will say it's dumb.
Old November 29, 2016, 09:31 PM   #41
CavScout182

It's OK!

I've developed a fairly thick skin over my years!

But every now and then, a splinter works its way in... and it is irritating until tended to.

I've learned many things through my 68 years, but I am still ignorant about many more!

That splinter gets in there when I am called Dumb or Stupid!
Old November 29, 2016, 09:51 PM   #42
heyjoe

your post seemed fine to me.....i enjoyed it!
Old November 29, 2016, 10:28 PM   #43
CavScout182

Thanks!

I tend to be obsessive about researching things I have interest in!

Back in the early 80's, when I first got into Buckskinning... I read just about everything I could find on the Fur Trade and the Mountain Men... including artwork of John Catlin and Alfred Jacob Miller... who captured the visuals of the time.

Likewise with Cowboy Action Shooting in the early 90's... with the added benefit that photography was present in the late 19th Century.

While researching the Mares Leg prior to purchasing, I found many forum threads full of "I heard" rumors, and opinions.

Generally, I found the majority of negative views were from pundits that never owned... and many that never fired a Mares Leg.

However, the majority of the pundits that had a positive views owned, or at least had fired a Mares Leg.

Although I could not find any record of a period Mares Leg converted Carbine, Winchester did make 12" barrel 1892 Carbines (Cody affirmed).

There was no shortage of sawed off shotguns, or "Street Howitzers".
Like wise, there was no shortage of revolvers with detachable buttstocks... and revolver action based Carbines!

So... the crossover between long arm, and handgun did exist in the period.

And... I can imagine a Carbine breaking the buttstock off at the wrist... and getting an expedient repair of wrapping the tang with rawhide!

The best reference I could find on the original Mares Legs (3) was in a 1961 Guns Quarterly Article. 1961 was the last year of the series, and Steve McQueen was available for corroboration:

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/201...dead-or-alive/
Old November 29, 2016, 11:19 PM   #44
CavScout182

Hollywood Hokum?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hollywood.jpg (53.4 KB, 29 views)
Old November 29, 2016, 11:38 PM   #45
DPris
Member Emeritus

Wasn't aware we were arguing.

I watched the show when it was new, it created a "want" in me that is still strong enough to push me toward getting my fourth ML.

Most of us knew it was never a historical reality, but it's a legit question for those who don't.
Few of us think a Mare's Leg has any practicality at all, but it doesn't have to.
Being cool is simply enough for those who think it's cool.
Denis
Old November 30, 2016, 12:16 AM   #46
CavScout182

Denis,

The new "Third Model" from Chiappa is about the most accurate production rendering of one of the originals... although at a steep price.

Since the buttstock is mounted between the tang and trigger bar, there is no complication in cutting off the back 2" to replicate the original's length of 19".

The buttplate is flat steel, and attached with 2 screws. It would need to be dressed to fit the narrower stock near the wrist... and edges colored with diluted cold blue to blend with the case hardened finish.

I had found a vendor that had them for $1099, but didn't bookmark it... this is the best I could find tonight:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ucts_id=17297&
Old November 30, 2016, 12:20 AM   #47
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
Most of us knew it was never a historical reality, but it's a legit question for those who don't.
True.

I also watched the show as a kid. And it wasn't until just a few years ago that I finally twigged to the fact the the cartridges Josh Randall carried in his belt were just for show, because they were bigger and more impressive looking. The cartridges in the belt were .45-70, but the Mare's Leg was chambered in .44-40.

Hollywood fantasy at work, but it fooled me and probably just about everyone who watched the show.
Old November 30, 2016, 01:14 AM   #48
DPris
Member Emeritus

The issue in lopping off the rear of the stock nub is the upper plate screw.

I've had a Rossi shortened at both ends to make it more authentic to the TV show versions, and that upper screw sorta determines how short you can cut the wood at its rear end.

Too short & the screw end, or its channel, will pop through & be visible.

I agree the new Chiappa is much closer.
The 12-inch barrels & long stock nub are not true to the prop guns.

My Rossi has a 9-inch barrel.
I have one of the first Chiappas, I may have that one cut back, too.
Wouldn't mind having one of the new short Chiappas.

My customized Rossi has no sights, like the TV guns, but I can hit a man-sized silhouette out to 35 yards or so with it by aligning the front receiver bridge with the front barrel band held at eye level.

Lately I've been thinking of actually wearing the thing on a desert ATV run when it warms up enough, just to say I have.
I've got a holster for it.
Denis
Old November 30, 2016, 02:49 AM   #49
CavScout182

The top of the buttplate could be lowered to be even with the comb, lowering the top screw hole into thicker wood.

The tip of the screw could be ground shorter to fit a measured blind hole.

The screws only need to retain the buttplate in position, and shouldn't require very much tensile strength.

I don't have leather for mine yet, but have been looking at a bandolier slung cross-draw style.

In the mean time, I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-20-8...007FGPJSK?th=1

It fits my Chiappa 9" round barrel with its abbreviated large loop quite well... and enough of the loop is accessible to initiate a draw.

It might be good alternative for your off-roading?

Oiled leather would retain desert dust, and be quit abrasive.
Old November 30, 2016, 12:26 PM   #50
DPris
Member Emeritus

The upper screw can be relocated, and it can be shortened.
Mine wears a custom plate on the back.

Just saying that screw has to be factored in when deciding how short you trim the stock nub.

If you use the existing factory plate, you can reduce its outside dimensions to fit flush with the wood, but you'd still be stuck with the upper screw hole where it is.

Depends on how much money you want to put into the project.
Obviously cheaper to just trim the factory plate in shortening the back end, but you can go a bit shorter with a custom-made plate & a re-located screw hole.

I have one of those shotgun scabbards, used it for a couple years strapped under the ATV roof to carry a Remington 870.
Would not like it for on-body carry.
Since replaced it in the ATV with a custom two-gun leather scabbard for a short-barreled 870 & a Marlin Guide Gun.

The holster I have for the 9-inch Rossi was made for the gun by Bob Mernickle in Nevada.
It's not a copy of the McQueen "hanger", it's more of a standard holster type, built for the ML.

The TV holster was designed for easy access without having to raise the gun very high when clearing leather and quick-draw swiveling in front of a camera & it's not a particularly secure design.

If you watch closely in the TV episodes during action scenes you can occasionally see it flopping loose. If it ever made a break for freedom, they could stop the camera & set up for a re-take, and I imagine they had to on occasion.
I don't want that, even though I didn't acquire the gun to carry, so went with Mernickle's design.

He has other ML rigs, including a bandoleer and a backpack type.
My ATV is a three-seater & I can't have anything riding between my back & the bucket seat, it'll have to travel in the belt rig.
Denis
Closed Thread