The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 27, 2015, 11:54 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Turkey Card Choke for larger shot?

I don't get real serious about card shooting, but the organization matches I do go to twice a year uses low brass #6 shot loads. I have heard it is to hender the "pros" with their specialized, extremely tight choke guns from having a great advantage. Supposedly their special built guns work best with much smaller shot.
I've been using my Remington 1100 Magnum 30" Full, but haven't found that sweet spot of higher shot concentration in the pattern. Now I don't want to be one of those "pros", but would like to take home some steaks, a turkey, ham, or a few pounds of bacon a little more often than I have.
I just won the bid on a Remington 870 barrel, 30" Full for my 870 18" Tactical I built up. I don't really want to alter my original 1100, non-Rimchoke (30+ years old) barrel. Plus I have been thinking of adding an optic sight of some sort to the 870. So I thought a longer barrel with the right tube might be just the thing. Just wondering what choke diameter would best concentrate the pattern with #6 shot. If a ported tube would be advantageous, and if having the forcing cone lengthened would be worth the cost for my purpose. Keep in mind I am looking for the tightest pattern possible with #6 lead, low brass, game loads.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 28, 2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, you're on the verge of doing what I and several others have done, and that is trying to find 'The Gun". I've owned and traded many shotguns, to get a few that would hold tight patterns. Believe it or not, I owned two 20 Ga.'s that out-shot all my 12's with number 6 and 7-1/2 shot.

You want to pattern your gun at the yardage they shoot, using a large piece of cardboard. If it is a good gun, you'll see several shots clumped together, around the middle of the pattern, in several places. When I say clumped, I mean 3 to 5 shots tight together. Make sure you're shooting what the match will have, too, as shot size, (and even shell brand, for several reasons), can change the patterns. Anyhow, one that will clump the shots, even larger shot, shows that the shot wad is not breaking apart terribly at that yardage, and they are staying centered.

In Kentucky, most all modified shotguns were banned from card shooting. That's why we traded and searched for the right one, that was 'factory'.
Old May 28, 2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Cheapshooter

They vary the brand by what's available, and best price. We don't ban the speciality guns, but use the larger shot that negates most of their advantage. The results seem to indicate it works. The few that show up don't win any more than others. Certain "house" guns, and a couple other unmodified guns of regulars seem to do good. I did pick up a Stevens 311 16 ga. Double as a replacement for one of my very first shotguns as a youth that was sold many years ago, pre Rule #1, that seems to shoot a very tight pattern on the full choke side. They do furnish 16 gates. shells, and possibly because of lesser use may be more consistent in brand. Might give that one a good look before the Fall shoot in November.
Still will send the tube for the 870 to Mike Orlen to be threaded for a choke, and maybe lengthened cone just for grins. Maybe get the receiver tapped for mounting optics as well. A reflex dot will just add a little more useless tacticool junk to my build when I have the shorter barrel on it anyway. LOL
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!