The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 6, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Roshi

May have outsmarted myself

I noticed last time at the range that a new style Ted Cash inline capper almost worked with my Uberti NMA (1858) Remington. The extended "lips" got in the way. So I bought two more cappers and ground off the extensions.

Tried them at the range yesterday and they fit and worked well. However Remington #10 caps don't work well with this capper. They jam. I guess they are made for # 11's.

See factory capper on right and modified capper on left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC Cappers.jpg (215.5 KB, 39 views)
Old July 6, 2013, 08:33 PM   #2
thebser

nice!

that's the capper I have and luckly 11s work on my nipples and it works well however the modified capper looks like it would work better! I might hafta steal you idea
Old July 7, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I got one of these inline cappers just a short time ago (just like yours) and I ran in to the same problem trying to use 10s in it. . . . I thought it was just me. If I remember correctly, the package stated it was for 11s though?

I have one of Ted's "snail" cappers as well as several of his other style of capper (not inline style like the one we're talking about here). I like them a lot for use on my rifles but then the nipple is "out there" where you can easily get to it. The snail style will work on my Remington but "just" - my '51 is too tight of a fit.

I got so frustrated with the inline capper that I have that it now sits in a drawer. . . . . nothing against that style as I'm sure it's "just me". Ted makes some excellent products and I can't speak highly enough about him. I always enjoyed visiting his booth at Friendship when I went - a nice guy and like I said, he makes some mighty fine items.

I will extend this advice . . . if you ever purchase one of his snail or other style of cappers - I believe both styles are offered in brass and German silver . . . spend the few extra dollars and get the German silver one. My snail capper is brass - yes it works fine and is a good product - but you know how fouling and brass combine to build up verdigree, etc. I find that I have to clean the outside of it several times a year so that the catch works easily. On the German silver style, you don't need to worry about that.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63