The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2013, 02:10 AM   #1
mellow_c

What if Military and LE still used revolvers?

Just for fun, lets say that our military and law enforcement still had an interest in revolvers for a primary side arm. Of all the current and past models available across the whole world, which ones do you think would suit them best, and why?

Pictures please!
Old December 11, 2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Kappe

I believe the US military would surely still be using some sort of .45 Colt or .45 ACP revolver à la the M1909 and M1917, respectively. Not much to improve on there

Old December 11, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
MTT TL

I would be a strong proponent for the Colt Python in 4" barrel or similar. IMO it is as close to perfection for that task as you can get.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Chaz88

Looks like there might be as many opinions as posters.

S&W Mod. 28 it was perfection before Glock was ever thought of, and still is.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 11, 2013, 09:30 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

Chaz 88 nailed it,,,

Quote:
Looks like there might be as many opinions as posters.
So I'll add my opinion to the mix.

For many years the standard issue for the USAF,,,
Was the S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

Well designed, easily maintained, solid as a rock,,,
In my not-so-humble opinion it's the finest .38 revolver ever made.

Some will say the .38 is too wimpy for a combat handgun,,,
But with modern +P ammo it's hot enough.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Chaz88

Quote:
For many years the standard issue for the USAF,,,
Was the S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.
Some Navy aircrews were still using those up to, at least, the time the Beretta took over. With funding the way it is they might still be using them, "new issue" was often stuff the AF and Army wore out then rejected.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 11, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
JKump

S&W 686+. 7 shots of .357 mag. Enough said
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 164300_01_lg.jpg (65.5 KB, 75 views)

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old December 11, 2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Viper225

In the mid 1970's my first Police Revolver was a 28 S&W. A very accurate handgun, and I was totally happy with it at the time. Not the best choice today due to available speed loaders & speed loader carriers for it. Pretty much limited to HKS with not a great choice of duty belt carriers.

For 15 years as a Reserve Deputy, and most of another 2 years as Police Chief while in uniform I carried a 4" S&W model 610 with Full Power 10mm ammo in moon clips. I carried 4 spare Moon Clips on the belt in a Black Basket Weave Quad Carrier . Two up and two down. Also more spare moon clips in the car, and my jacket pockets in the winter months.

My last qualification a year ago I shot a 4 Inch 686-5, and reloaded with Safariland Comp III speed loaders. I had no problem staying up with the Glocks on a practical qualification course shot tactically using cover. I did hear some comments from the younger officers that they had no idea you could reload a revolver that quickly.

My vote would be for the 4 inch 686 Smith & Wesson in a 6 Shot version. Safariland still makes the 333 Speed Loader Carrier in a 2.25 inch model for police duty belts. It holds 3 Safariland Comp III spring driven speed loaders, which only come for the 6 shot models of K and L Frame's. You have a total of 24 rounds on the belt. More than enough ammunition 99% of the time, unless you get into it with Bonnie and Clyde. If you fire more than 24 rounds of handgun ammunition, you will be on the National News.

Keep in mind the handgun is for use when you get caught with your pants down. If you have any idea things will go bad, get out an AR15 or the 870.
I liked a revolver for the knock down power. I live just down the road from Mayberry, most of my gunfights were with deer hit by cars. Where I live we have an armed robbery in the County about once every 10 years or so.

Bob
ICORE MO2908

Last edited by Viper225; December 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Wyosmith

You know, you are hitting on or around a point I like to bring up in every class I teach.
I was a sheriff's deputy many years ago when autos were rare and most cope carried revolvers.
I have a few friends who are recently retired SWAT cops and one good friend who is still with the FBI, and with their help, (and the help of several of their friends) I have been able to come up with some very interesting statistics.

Back in the 60s and early 70s the average police shooting in the "Western District" ( Seven western states, not including Alaska or Hawaii) was an engagement from the officer of 2.8 shots per hit. In 2007 that number is up to 17 rounds per hit.
What does this prove?

I am not sure it “proves” anything but it strongly suggests that in the west, the sport of shooting is not as strongly practiced in the adolescent years and teen years as it used to be.

Most cops that get into shoot-outs do so in the first half of their careers. That means in their 20s and 30s. As shooting becomes less and less of a practice the overall skill level is dropping. For a long time 6 shots was considered fine. Now everyone seems to think a cop with a revolver is almost unarmed.
Yet cops are firing more and hitting less with guns that are no less accurate, but will allow the “7th miss” faster than the old guns.

What is really interesting, according to my FBI friend, is the same kind of statistics from the same period of time in the “Eastern Distract”
On the eastern seaboard gunfights between cops and “bad guys” have always been more numerous than in the western states as an average, and in the 60s and 70s the cops there were also largely armed with revolvers, but their shots to hits ratio was MUCH worse than the western cops.

Why?

We think it’s because for the last 80-90 years sport shooting has been discouraged in that area far more than in the west.

When you grow up shooting a revolver you have a much deeper ingrained set of motor-skills than you do if you start shooting when you are 20-24 years old, and you only get to fire when and where you are allowed.

What does this have to do with revolvers?
Nothing directly, but it may be an insight that needs to be examined.

As autos have become more and more reliable and more and more prolific they sell more. But at the same time shooting as a way of life is becoming less and less common.

So in my opinion the reason most cops do not carry revolvers these days is not actually because they need to shoot more shots in “street wars”. With only very few exceptions “street wars” happen more on TV than they do on the streets.

Cops feel more confident with more ammo, and the autos DO CARRY easier.

But I am 100% convinced that a good shooter who can keep his or her head under stress is about as well armed with a high powered revolver as they are with a good auto.

The fight most often goes to the best fighter, not the best gun.

Good luck and bad luck are factors in winning and loosing, but we can’t do anything about them. So we train to improve ourselves in the area we can have some control over.

Guns are simply tools. A good workman is someone that is an expert with his tools.

Only hits matter. Misses are worthless at best, and often harmful or deadly to innocent people at worst. More misses are worse than less.

So that is an argument in favor of the revolver. My friend in the FBI and one of my cop friends both have told me that if they were in charge they would go back to revolvers for that reason.

I would not embrace that stand personally, but hard to counter. I have to see their point.

Both of them (and myself too, on this issue) say they would requite a LOT more training of their officers if they were in charge.
Both of my dissenting friends know the value of dry-fire drills and my friend Ed says he’d make every office practice for 3 minutes in dry-fire every day before they went out on shift. Not a bad idea really.

Ok….my rant is over

Last edited by Wyosmith; December 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old December 11, 2013, 11:22 AM   #10
MTT TL

Wyo- While an interesting ramble from a LE perspective the military is mostly convinced that the profligate expenditure of ammunition is the best way of doing business. This is correct in many some ways for a variety of reasons for military operations.

Handguns are not really worthwhile in combat due in part to this line of rationale so just about any quality revolver in .357 or better would fill the roll nicely for the intended military purpose of handgun. Back up defensive weapon, the min requirement to carry a gun.
Old December 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #11
pilpens

3"-4" 7 shot L-Frame or similar.
I think the Ruger GP100 and S&W 686+ w/o the lock would be common.

I think the Ruger GP100 3" Wiley Clapp edition would a very nice duty revolver.
Old December 11, 2013, 11:58 AM   #12
RickB

I'd be happy with my S&W Model 22. With the 4", skinny barrel it isn't heavy, it's quick to reload with moonclips, and it's easy to shoot with relatively little recoil or muzzle blast. My second choice would be an 8-shot .357.
Old December 11, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

If they used revolvers they would use a GP-100 designed to hold 7 shots and 1/2 of the grip frame would be polymer to lesson the weight.

Deaf
Old December 11, 2013, 12:06 PM   #14
breakingcontact

Re: What if Military and LE still used revolvers?

I think S&W just made a model for entry teams. Something about using whilst holding a shield.
Old December 11, 2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Colt46

The finest combat revolver by far

Smith's Model 15/67 combat masterpiece. It's easy to carry than an L or N frame, balances perfectly and the +P loadings are serious business.
Old December 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #16
MrBorland

My vote would be the S&W 646, a 6-shot moonclipped L-frame in .40S&W. An L-frame is suitable for duty carry, the .40S&W cartridge certainly appropriate for military and LE use, and moonclips are easier & more reliable to unload & reload than speedloaders.
Old December 11, 2013, 01:18 PM   #17
temmi

For fun...

It would be Ruger Black hawks in 45 Colt...

Cause they could load thei Win 92s in 45 Colt

Snake
Old December 11, 2013, 05:18 PM   #18
jmr40

The Ruger GP would be my choice. It is probably the simplest, toughest design. The easiest to take apart and clean in the field with a minimum of tools.
Old December 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #19
BigJimP

For a Duty Gun ....where a little more weight is not a big deal / good solid holsters....concealment is not a factor.... the S&W model 27's or 28's...N frames ..( I'd want the 27 - nicer finish - in a 4" ).....they're .357 Mag...and great guns, great triggers in both SA and DA.

N frame makes them easy to shoot ...well balanced...
Old December 11, 2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Something like a K-Frame or GP100 makes sense. The larger frames would be very heavy on LE belts, which are already bearing tons of weight from other equipment.
Old December 11, 2013, 06:35 PM   #21
JohnMoses

How about a modernized webly top break with moon clips? You could go 8 shot 10mm... alloy/titanium/poly frame... wow!
Old December 11, 2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
How about a modernized webly top break with moon clips>
Unfortunately, the action is too fragile for even moderate-power defensive loads. I've seen plenty of .45 ACP conversions sent to an early grave.
Old December 11, 2013, 07:21 PM   #23
USMCGrunt

I'd say the old Model 1917 Smith would be a good choice.
Old December 11, 2013, 07:33 PM   #24
45_auto

Quote:
For a Duty Gun ....where a little more weight is not a big deal / good solid holsters....concealment is not a factor.... the S&W model 27's or 28's...N frames ..( I'd want the 27 - nicer finish - in a 4" ).....they're .357 Mag...and great guns, great triggers in both SA and DA.

N frame makes them easy to shoot ...well balanced...
You may find it interesting to research "Bill Jordan" and the development of the Model 19 .357 ......
Old December 11, 2013, 07:44 PM   #25
puppyface

The department I used to work for issued Smith and Wesson Model 15's with two speed loaders. A few years ago we went with the Glock .40 I think that the qualifying scores went up and everyone was generally happier with the Glock, but I miss the old revolvers.