The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2010, 08:31 AM   #1
darkgael

two inch/two and a half inch 12ga. shotshell dies?

I have a couple of old SXSs that are chambered for 2 1/2" shells.
Does anyone know where I can get a set of dies for that length hull?
At present, I load them on a MEC 600 and take them off to add a roll crimp. I'd like to be able to use a star crimp so as to speed things up. (No, I have not contacted Mayville about this. Maybe I should.)
Pete
(also posted at THR)
Old December 12, 2010, 01:16 PM   #2
zippy13

Pete, my friend, some of the old-timers at my gun club used to load "shorty" 12-ga loads. IIRC, they did some machine work on their MEC 600 Jr presses where the column bolt sets the loader height. The factory loader can be set to 2 3/4 or 3-inch heights, they just added a third, shorter, height. One re-loader said he'd adapted his loader to shorties by fitting a shim under the shell holder plate.
Old December 12, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
oneounceload

The difference is 1/4" - most of the MEC stations will work just fine, then all you need is the correct load/wad, and to readjust your pre-crimp and final crimp die.

Otherwise, look to Polywad, Rst, or Bpi for hulls
Old December 12, 2010, 05:15 PM   #4
zippy13

Oneounceload,
Yep, for just a 1/4-inch, an unaltered MEC 660 Jr might work, but Pete was also asking about little 2-inch shorties.
Old December 12, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
oneounceload

A MEC Jr. will handle them. The pre and final crimp will need a longer screw to do the 2", but it can be done.

I have a few 2" from Polywad. They sure feel funny in your hand, but they hit the targets just fine
Old December 12, 2010, 10:31 PM   #6
darkgael

spacer

Thanks for the help. I found that Precision Reloading makes spacers that fit into the MEC stations and allow the correct crimp. There are three sizes - 1/4", 1/2", 3/4".
Pete
Old December 13, 2010, 12:08 AM   #7
zippy13

Pete, you said you'll roll-crimp your shorties off the Mec. I'm curious, I've never done a roll crimp, how long does it take? I know the old boys who tried to star crimp their shorties without skiving the hulls first didn't get very good results. I suspect there's a skiving tool in your future.
Old December 13, 2010, 06:11 AM   #8
darkgael

tools

Zippy: Here's a pic of one of the antique roll crimp tools that I use along with another pic of two regular length RC'd paper hulls - Cheddite, I believe. The actual crimp takes about two or three seconds to do. I do not have any pictures of shorter hulls
I have a skivving tool in case I need it.

Pete
Old December 13, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
zippy13

Pete, thanks for the pics, those are nice looking crimps! They'll do an ol' SxS proud.
Next, I suppose you'll have some old time graphics on the over shot wads.