The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 27, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
chaz12

Selling a rifle with a defect

I have a Malin 336W lever action in .30-30 that I bought used. It has always had a problem with jamming during ejection. The frequency varies a lot, but let's say it averages about 2 rounds out of 20. The action will just be locked up tight, the lever won't budge. After a brief time it will finally open for unknown reasons and then ejects normally. I took it to a local gunsmith who smoothed the chamber he said, but it didn't help. I decided to either send it back to Marlin to get fixed or just sell it.

If I send it back, I'm estimating 70 dollars shipping (for both ways) plus let's say 50 dollars to fix it. That's a total of 120 dollars (if I'm lucky) to fix a 300 dollar rifle, and there is the possibility that when I get it back it still won't work.

The other option would seem to be to take it to a gun show and try to sell it for around 200 dollars, mentioning up front that it jams some times.

I think I'm leaning towards selling it, but would like to hear other opinions. Do you think a person could get 200.00 for it?

Chaz
Old October 27, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
bigghoss

I know this isn't technically on topic but have you tried asking about the problem over at the marlin forum? they might be able to help you fix it.

www.marlinowners.com
Old October 27, 2009, 06:06 PM   #3
GONIF

you may be right to want to sell it if your in it more than what it's worth .if you tell the buyer and he is willing to give what you want ,it's a win win . if you can't trust it ,sell it .
Old October 27, 2009, 06:11 PM   #4
brocken

I would try selling it and being honest before spending half of what the gun is worth to fix it.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
jgcoastie

Did you try switching ammo?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
snipecatcher

I bet if you send it in to Marlin you will only be out of about 20 bucks shipping one way...
Old October 27, 2009, 06:55 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

Yes, shouldn't be more, shipping to gunsmiths for repair is expressively exempt from FFL requirement.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:20 PM   #8
dahermit

I purchased a TC Hunter Rifle (not pistol), from a gun shop/gunsmith for a very low price. When I got it home, it would not fire. Being very curious about mechanical workings of guns, I studied it for about a week. I detected that the safety would not come off all the way to allow the gun to fire. There was evidence (polished surfaces), that the gunsmith had worked on the gun and failed to fix it...thus the unusually low price. In short, I discovered the problem, fixed it with a .003 shim and the gun worked fine. Over the years I have purchased several guns (some used, some new), that had defects that I found and corrected. I love the challenge. Others not so mechanically inclined, may not appreciate the challenge as much.
As to the jamming Marlin, it cannot be a real serious mechanical problem. The problem will be diagnosing the problem.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Grainraiser

I would try the Marlin Forum first and see what they say. If you decide to sell it for $200 let me know because I will take it more than likely.

Reggie
Old November 9, 2009, 12:09 AM   #10
Ifishsum

A friend of mine had one that did exactly what you described. Turned out to be a loose screw that supported the shell lifter I believe - once I tightened it up it has worked flawlessly. It was the screw in the center of the receiver on the right side IIRC.
Old November 9, 2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Goatwhiskers

There is a small screw on the right side to the rear of the loading gate. Find a small screwdriver that FITS and tighten. You will see the loading gate draw up. This is a common Marlin problem and will cause the action to lock. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder