The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 29, 2008, 07:41 PM   #1
hillbille

pursuit LT problems

bought a pursuit LT at the local show this weekend, one of only a few guns I have been taken on, it was not what the old guy told me it was, was told it was like new clean as a whistle ect. but the price was still low enough I didn't really get hurt. While cleaning it , and quite a fight with the breech plug, bending two plug wrenches, we got it out. the barrell was real dirty but not really pitted, we cleaned it up and took it out to shoot it. When we got to the range found out that the gun would not close and lock up with a primmer in the plug. If you slam the gun REAL hard it will lock up but if you try and close the rifleit won't lock up. we are using winchester primers (209) ore other brand primers shorter? have ony of you all had a problem like this before, other than that the gun shoots very well, till the last shot when my son forgot to put any powder in before the ball. Puled the plug shoved the ball out and on our way again. any help would be appreciated.
Old April 29, 2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Pahoo

I have a bit but know others who have had the same problems but not all at once. If your barrel is as good as you say and breech plug threads are not all messed up, you can work out of these problems. Stuck breech plug are common with hot loads and little or no anti-siez on the threads. If you are shooting hot loads with 777, you have to clean as soon as you get home. With hotter loads, you create a carbon ring as well as burn the plug greas in the threads of the plug. All this sets and gets dried and hard. Be sure and use a good anti-siez like the copper based type. You can also fix what I call the locking wedge as it is not catching. Make suer your plug is all the way home as you won'e be able to close with the 209, in place. Take a close look at it to determine your best repair. You could have pulled the ball or projectile using your screw jag. Just Pour a little bore clean or whatever down the barrel, wait a few minutes, push into the projectile and take nine 1/4 turns to get a good bite and do a little tug of war with your son. Make sure your threads are clean and clear.

Be Safe
Old April 29, 2008, 08:23 PM   #3
hillbille

pahoo no hot loads, 75 grains bp, round ball and patch, just using balls to get the scope on target,will sight in better later, using anti-seize on threads my real problem is lockup now , how do you adjust the wedge as you call it?
Old April 29, 2008, 09:19 PM   #4
K.A.T.

Different Size Primers?

Mr. Hillbille, I have the Prusuit Pro that I've had several years and hunt with alot. I think the LT model is just shorter.

I did find the problem with different primers just like you found. I had allways used Federal primers without any trouble. I tried the Winchester 777 primers and ran into the problem you speak of. After measuring the primers I found the Winchester primers to be anywhere from 3 to 5 thousands longer than the Federal primers. I just use Federal primers now without any problems.

Allways use a lube on the breech plug, and you don't really have to tighten it down that tight. It will get some crud in the threads, so if you really tighten it down it will be hard to get out, just snug it good.

I think your rifle will have a 1-28 twist, not really for shooting round balls. I shoot powerbelts in mine with 3-50 grn.pyrodex pellets. I like the pyrodex pellets better than the 777 pellets, the pyrodex pellets ignite easier than the 777 pellets. There is a slight delay with the 777 that affects the accuracy slighty.

My rifle will shoot an inch and half group at 100yds. all day, if I run a patch between shots. I'm sure yours will do the same when you find that right bullet and load.

I don't think you bought a bad rifle, you just have to know what it likes.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Pahoo

hillbille
I did not mean that you shot the hot load. I meant that the guy before you did and he set you up for this problem. Depending on the twist, my target load is 50 grains of 777 on patched round ball. My hunting load is usually 95grns. W/sabots. Most of the time I use a musket cap and when I do use a 209, I use a Remington. I do not own a pursuit LT but have helped others with them. As K.A.T. has stated, try a different primer if that is where you are hanging up. Just make sure you are all the way home with your plug and plenty of anti-siez. No matter how tight your plug is, you are still going to get carbon on your threads. Try the copper based anti-siez ...

Be Safe
Old April 30, 2008, 09:07 PM   #6
hillbille

once again youall are right the winchester primers are the problem! got some remington and cci's, both work fine,so back to the range with some sabots to tune in long range shots. thanks again.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:57 AM   #7
arcticap

Quote:
You could have pulled the ball or projectile using your screw jag. Just Pour a little bore clean or whatever down the barrel, wait a few minutes, push into the projectile and take nine 1/4 turns to get a good bite and do a little tug of war with your son.
I think it's a lot easier to just pull out the removable breechplug and push the load out. After all, that's one reason why the breechplug is designed to be removable.
Play tug-of-war with a 9 year old? No way!

Last edited by arcticap; May 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Pahoo

arcticap

Don't be afraid to pull a patched round ball. If my Grandson can handle it, you should not have a problem. Try it, you'll like it !!!