The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2005, 03:20 AM   #1
payne

Getting into reloading

Hi guys, I recently ordered a book on getting started in reloading. Believe it was "The ABC's of Reloading".Got it off E-bay for $12. Is this going to give me good info on the subject? Cleaning out my Grandmothers garage yesterday and found bout 3000 .45ACP shell caseings, and bout 5500 in .38 special along with a press. set up for a .45. I'm just looking at it. Man it's heavy! From the 60's or 70's i believe. Won't be using this, but found it interesting seeing as how i'd never messed with one before. I'm absolutly keepin the brass for when I eventually start reloading. Just wanted to know if this book will let me know everything I need equipment wise and know how wise to start. Thanks
Old May 16, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
esheato

The ABC's of Reloading is a great beginner book. Reloading isn't hard by any means, but it can be dangerous if you're not paying attention.

My recommendation, read the book and if you still have questions come back and search around and start talking to people. The book should answer a lot of questions.

Welcome to the never-ending world of reloading...

Ed
Old May 16, 2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

Congrats on your successful treasure hunt.

ABC's of Reloading is a great resource. Suggest getting a copy of Lyman #48 to go with it.
As to the press it probably just needs a good cleaning and lubing to be put back into service.
Take Care
Old May 16, 2005, 05:57 PM   #4
CaptainRazor

Welcome to the fold payne!

I think you're starting in the right direction, I would recommend the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Manual to compliment your new found library (I've only heard good stuff about the ABC's book).

Since you have all those 38 and 45 cases, you might as well go out and buy one of each, you now have a legitimate excuse!
Seriously though, I don't think you'll find a more experienced group than the guys (and gals) right here at TFL Reloading dept..

If you have any troubles, drop a line, somebody here can steer you in the right direction.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:23 PM   #5
G56

Lucky guy!

You have a good book, and you hit the mother lode on found equipment, go right out and buy some lottery tickets, you're on a roll!
Old May 16, 2005, 07:38 PM   #6
locked'n'cocked

post a pic of the press? might be interested in buying it if its in good shape. im looking into getting into reloading myself. just havnt pulled the trigger on any equipment, did get lyman's 48th though. its excelent. has specific load info in it too so it can be used as a resource for that.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old May 16, 2005, 10:39 PM   #7
cheygriz

Payne,

if you found a big heavy press for the 60s, you just might have sokething better than what's available today! Post a pic and some info. If it's a quality press, you may as well use. The press is usually the most expensive item in a reloading setup.

Most of the presses made back then were designed to last two or three lifetimes.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:47 PM   #8
payne

Ok, since yall asked. The press was my granddad's that i never got to meet b/c he passed before i was born. Believe he died in 79' i came along in 83'. He was a Senior Master Sargent in the USAF. Went to Camp Perry and other places competeing. Found many of his trophies and awards from these competitions. Mom said he'd loved and had alotta fun with me since im into his old hobby.

Anyway, he started reloading in the sixties. I believe this was his first press. FREAKIN' HUGE AND HEAVY!!! I'll try and post some pics of it if ya'll tell me how i do that. the top of it turns and each spot clicks into place. It has the 45ACP dies all set into it i believe. I took one of the 45 casings and turned the thing to what looked like a primer punch and popped out the spent primer, so I guess it was what I thought it was. HA!

Today I found a cardboard box labled "16ga dies" opened it up and sure enough, there were 16ga dies. Guess he used to reload shotguns too. I got the 16ga that used to be his a few years ago as a bday present from my grandma before she passed. Thanks guys for the welcome, and ill definatly ask if i got q's. Oh and tell me how to put up pics and i'll try and do that.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:52 PM   #9
G56

Well, you have described a turret press of some sort, post photo's when you can.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:02 AM   #10
LHB1

Payne,
About that old press, yes it may be as good or better than those being made today. You may have a real find there! Can you tell what brand it is?
1) Does it have a name plate on it or a name in raised/sunken letters? Something like RCBS, BAIR, C-H, etc?
2) What color is it?
3) What brand of dies are in it? No guarantee but it is possible the press and dies are same brand.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old May 17, 2005, 09:31 AM   #11
Throckmorton

I'm guessing that the press is..

an old 8 station Hollywood? sounds like a heck of a press no matter what it is,and would certainly get you into reloading with the rest of us 'loadaholics'.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:09 PM   #12
payne

All right guy's I went out and tried to take some pics but cant figure out how to send them to the computer. Anyway, I looked on the machine and found where it said:

Herter's
Since 1893
Super Model 234
Pat Pending
Waseca MINN

That's exactly the way it was on the machine. Thing is all greased up. He did a number with all that grease when he put it away for storage. No rust, some parts required a rubber mallet or vice grips to get started movin'. I just wish I knew what the pieces stickin outta the six holes on top were. I know one is a primer punch. Also figured how to insert a primer into a caseing by messing around with it.Oh, and there were two brass looking rods that were taped to it. dont know what their for.

I hope you guys can help me out a little. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:29 PM   #13
LHB1

If it was sold by Herter's, it will make a great door stop. They ran a mail order business from Waseca, Minn back in the 50's-60's. EVERY ITEM in their catalog was labeled "Herter's Model Perfect .........". Quality was noticeably lacking in most of their items (IMO).

Good shooting and be safe.
LB