The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2012, 10:26 PM   #51
Madcap_Magician

I prefer the M&P Shield to either polymer Kahr, but I might like the K9 better than the Shield. I don't own one, so I'd have to shoot one again side-by-side with my Shield to compare it, though.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:48 AM   #52
Dashunde

The K's are nice (very) but heavy for the size.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:49 PM   #53
DAdams

I enjoy shooting my PM9 a lot more and shoot it better after adding a Pearce grip/magazine extension.
I don't pocket carry it though.
Enjoy your PM. Good deal.
What did they do to "enhance" the trigger?
Old November 23, 2012, 06:22 PM   #54
YankeeIronSights

According to what I read, the trigger travel distance was shortened by 30%. The trigger is between 6 and 7 lbs. When I dry fired the pistol at the store, it felt super smooth and short. I must say, it was one of the best triggers I have tested.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:02 PM   #55
Master Blaster 2

Boberg.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:18 AM   #56
engineer88

I have a CM9 on layaway. I am very excited to get it out soon. One thing I noticed that I liked better about it than the CW series was that the mag well had a decent bevel to it. That was a nice bonus in my opinion.

I traded in my LC9 on it. The LC9 was flawless, but had serious rust issues (I live in Florida). I am hoping this little Kahr will be everything the LC9 was minus the rusting. So far I already like the trigger and looks better.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:43 PM   #57
cast iron

Kahr CM 9 and SOLO

Just traded my Kahr CM-9 in on a SOLO on 11-29. The Kahr was an excellent shooter but what I like about the SOLO is the smooth operation, the very round corners, not square or boxy, smooth grip instead of sharp stipling. Kahr was good but Kimber is SWEET.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:07 PM   #58
ccwnut

I'm sure the Kahrs are great, but there's other options.

I personally went with the Glock 26 and I may add the Diamondback DB9 as a backup gun. Even though the DB9 has a heavier trigger pull, only holds 6 shots and comes with one magazine (I really hate that by the way!). It also makes for an excellent ccw backup to something with more capacity. That right there my friends is my main reason for wanting one. I'll just have to spend a bit more in order to have a spare reload (which is how I roll).
Old November 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #59
jib

I'm going to swim against the stream here. I have a Bersa BP9cc. It's a 21 ounce gun, so it's not quite a pocket gun, but it's a thin single stack with an absolutely awesome trigger. Very reasonable cost and it has a very natural grip and point of aim.

See http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa-BP9CC.htm
Old November 29, 2012, 07:04 PM   #60
amygdala

No, Kahr has feeding problems!

Sold my PM9, asap. Manual says to load only using the slide lever. On the Kahr, the lever is too small, too sharp, and too difficult to depress (with a mag inserted). Had mine smoothed, but it did not help. The manual says not to rack the slide. In defense of Kahr, some say racking the slide is fine. But the manual says NOT to do this and I can testify that it leads to jamming and other problems. Are the pro-Kahr folks just unaware of this problem? Do they assume that the manual is simply wrong? Normally, we assume that the manual is correct. Who wants to load the chamber with a badly-designed slide release? Just don't get it when there are so many other great pistols w/o this design flaw.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #61
kahrguy

Kahrs are not built for the weak or less experenced shooters. They are a +P pistols and that alone does give it a heavier recoil spring. Cut two links off the recoil spring and shoot standard 9mm ammo and its somewhat easy to rack and work the release. I have two kahrs for carry. There just part of a safe full of makes and models and both not only sling shot but chamber fine working the slide s l o w l y by hand. Bullet design can come into play here.

The manual said what it may need to function as some people ether don't have the strenght to pull the slide of a new kahr all the way back ,AND get a quick clean release and with out a full pull AND quick clean release it will not work when NEW, that would be the first couple hundred rounds. Thats when they will need to shoot one in first useing only the slide hold back lever till the recoil spring softens up a bit so they can work it . For weaker hands that may take both thumbs.

My 100 lb daughter can run my cm9 but does not like the recoil. My cw9 as nooo problem for her. Maybe shes just a bit tougher than some or has simply developed good small gun skills. The cm/pm series are a concealable small light weight pistol. IT is simple not made for weaker people . Before buying a handgun it is wise to read the manual on line and ask about concerns on line. Not buy first to find out later. Kel tec pf-9 can be the same way. Buy a small NON +P pistol and you can probably do with it as you want to.

Most every firearm today has WARNING, and no reloads . And with some pistols NO +P loads at all and basic directions for inxperenced shooters.

Don't feel to bad , I never would have bought my first kahr if it was not for someone like you that sold one so cheap I had to buy it. 2200 rounds now thru mine and not a single problem. The guy I bought mine from is a very seasoned shooter too. A couple years later after shooting his/ my old kahr he has another kahr and now CC's it after learning a few things about them. To each there own, just don't slam a pistol because its a problem for you. Just maybe your the problem or ammo.

These smaller kahrs are not for all shooters, simple enough.

Last edited by kahrguy; November 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:01 PM   #62
AH.74

Quote:
Are the pro-Kahr folks just unaware of this problem? Do they assume that the manual is simply wrong? Normally, we assume that the manual is correct. Who wants to load the chamber with a badly-designed slide release? Just don't get it when there are so many other great pistols w/o this design flaw.
If you don't like the design or what needs to be done to run it properly, that's one thing.

But to call it a problem and a flaw is a falsehood. If that's the way the manufacturer intends for it to be operated, and if doing so that way ensures proper operation, where is the issue- with the operator who doesn't want to follow instructions, just because it's a bit different.

I have not had any problems with my PM9 feeding. I also operate the gun the way the manufacturer recommends. I also don't have any problem with my slide stop.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:40 PM   #63
Officer's Match

I have no problem slingshotting my PM9. My carry ammo is 115gr JHP +P.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:08 AM   #64
kahrguy

If someone thinks a handgun should not need to be broke in DO NOT buy a top level 1911. They too may not need to be shot in to be reliable. Then I wonder if the same amount of whinning will go on from buyiers !!!! Some of this Brake In is for the shooter as much as the firearm with small light weight handguns and ammo used . If a shooter can't deal with a break in Go Buy a full sized gen 3 glock and be happy as it may run well on anything.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:06 AM   #65
Dashunde

Quote:
If you don't like the design or what needs to be done to run it properly, that's one thing.
I have not had any problems with my PM9 feeding. I also operate the gun the way the manufacturer recommends. I also don't have any problem with my slide stop.
I agree... I like the gun plenty and have had no issues with the slide release, other than to say I dont like it much either.
I'd rather it have a separate pin and slide release, similar to a LCP or XDm would be nice.
That change would give me a reason to buy another one.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:24 PM   #66
engineer88

It makes me sad when I read about people in threads who get an automatic handgun, fire a few hundred rounds through it and sell it for being unreliable at a large loss. When Wolff gun springs can be had in + or - 10% flavors, etc. Ditto on recoil springs. They are easily replaced by the most mechanically inexperienced of us. The difference in the springs is usually enough to change the cycling dynamic of most pistols to make them feed favorably.

That said, a gun should work properly out of the box. But I do believe it has become an accepted truth that often the small pistols require some minor gun smithing or a change in your technique to run reliably. Only service sized pistols and revolvers are expected to run flawless from the get go it would seem.

I strongly encourage folks to at least try spring changes at about $10 a pop before losing $100 or more on the pistol by trading it in.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:13 PM   #67
shoptroll

Quote:
want to like the polymer Kahrs but I can't own a firearm where part of the break in process is chewing up the polymer frame rails. I know I there are metal inserts, but still in my mind that's not a pistol that will last you down the road.
Those are not just inserts. If you pass a magnet around the underside you'll realize that those "inserts" are one continuous piece of steel inside the polymer.

I wanted to look at the Bersa BP9CC but couldn't find one when I was in the market. I loved the Ruger LC9 untill I tried that ungodly long trigger pull. I went with the Kahr CW9 because to me it was the perfect compromise between full size and pocket, it fit my hand without my pinky being under the magwell, and the trigger was better than any other DA only in that price range. I recently added the Trijicon night sights, a Wolff striker spring, and a Hogue Handall Jr. slip- on grip. I can carry it IWB with a T-shirt or in a slide with a longer sweatshirt or light jacket.

Old December 3, 2012, 02:27 PM   #68
Fishbed77

Quote:
Sold my PM9, asap. Manual says to load only using the slide lever. On the Kahr, the lever is too small, too sharp, and too difficult to depress (with a mag inserted). Had mine smoothed, but it did not help. The manual says not to rack the slide.
I have never had my CM9 fail to feed when slingshotting or manually racking the slide, regardless of what the manual says.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #69
engineer88

I picked up my CM9 yesterday and hope to put a hundred or so rounds through it this weekend. I truly love the size and weight. It makes carrying a complete breeze.