The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Tacoma

.38 /357 Multiball. Anybody have a recipe?

Hi, was considering playing around with building some multiball loads for woods walking / playing around. ( OK, so I'm bored by Mid Jan too!) Does anybody have a good recipe for these?
Old January 17, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2
mete

This multi ball load idea comes up about every 20 years since people don't read history. They never survive more than a couple of years since they don't work ! The earliest info I have is that Remington made multi ball 45acp which was discontinued in 1919 I think. It was their 'bank guard ' load. The germans had ,at one point, a multiball 9mm for a while ....Take up another hobby for those long winter nights
Old January 17, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
critter

THIS IS FROM MEMORY SO DUE CAUTION IS URGED!

38/357 multiball loads are quite easy to do. Buckshot (the 000 size) is almost exactly .357 diameter and weigh right at 70 grains. SO, two of them (140 gr) is near a regular weight bullet. Two, one on top of each other, with a normal-load of powder works good. I used 2-000 BS with 4.0 gr of Bullseye in .38 cases with the crimp just over the largest part of the top ball.

You get pretty good groups up to 'self defense' ranges. Past 20' or so, it is mostly luck.

Another option is to use the Speer shot capsules for the .38. Three #1 BS will just fit and fill it up. Also used the same powder charge as above. Get a nice little 'three shot' group, but again only at 'up close and personal' ranges.

Want some 'bubba' Glaser safety slugs? Fill the Speer shot capsule with small shot (7 1/2 to 9--or maybe even up to #12) mixed with 2-part epoxy glue. Let set and load like a bullet. DRAMATIC in a gallon jug of water.

Have fun. They are a hoot to play with. Not sure how useful they are.
Old January 17, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

Yeah, I've done it. Three 000 buck in a .357 case over a .38 Special load for a 200 grain bullet from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Crimp on the center of the top ball.

What I ran into is that two of the balls fuse together on firing. My loads did shoot reasonably well with one ball hitting within a few inches of POA at 25 yards and the two fused balls within 6-8" of that. Were I to try it again, I would add separator disks cut from a soda can. Might be able to cut those disks with a Lee sizer or might have to cobble a punch up. Sized GCs might be worth a try.

I can see why it was sold as a "bank guard load". You get sharply reduced penetration while tripling the frontal area if you can get the balls to separate.
Old January 17, 2005, 07:48 PM   #5
Poygan

I've tried both multi ball in .357 and also small wad cutters. I have a 4 cavity mold that casts 2 @ 70 grains and 2 @ 105 grains. I haven't tried any of these combinations extensively but one issue is the lack of penetration.
Perhaps a more practical load is the snake load. Essentially it is a small powder chage, then a thin wad followed by small shot (I used #9 and forget the weight) and then crimp a round ball of .357 on top. The round ball shot close to the point of aim at close range circled by the shot pattern.
The fun part is to develop your own and experiment, always starting at the low and conservative end.
Old January 18, 2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Tacoma

Thanks Gents, Interesting discussion and pretty much what I figured. ( Interesting note on the Glasier load too!) FWIW, I had some factory Remington multiball 357's that shot well @7 yds ( about 2" apart). I just wanted to play with a slightly milder round for a knock about 38 snubbie load.