The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
ScottRiqui

"Thick" finish on CZ-75?

What kind of finish is this on the CZ-75 that makes the lettering look soft and almost "filled in"? Do all of the black ones use this same finish?

I've heard so many good things about the CZ-75, and will probably end up getting one, but I don't know if I could get past the finish.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:48 AM   #2
predecessor

Get one in Matte Stainless

http://www.compactfirearms.com/cz-75...-for-sale.html
Old March 13, 2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Skans

I could never get past the finish on the CZ-75 either. I personally like the look and feel of the EAA clones better. But, if I had to have a CZ, I'd get one in matte stainless. Although, I do think some blued versions were made - just hard to come by.

FWIW, there is nothing wrong with the black finish - it doesn't tend to chip, peal or crack. It looks like "filler" and is just plain ugly to me - my opinion of course.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:57 AM   #4
sigarms228

Looks like sprayed on rustoleum to me. Supposedly the blued ones look nice though I have never seen one in person.

Try one to see if it works for you and don't worry so much for the finish. I tried one and passed on it.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
What kind of finish is this on the CZ-75 that makes the lettering look soft and almost "filled in"? Do all of the black ones use this same finish?]
You can order a beautiful BLUED version of most CZs hrough the CZ Custom Shop. They cost about $100 more with that finish. (I don't like the high-gloss blue, as blued guns take more care and protection than I want to provide, but the CZ high-gloss blue is gorgeous.)

The thick finish you describe is called polycoat. Polycoat is a form of polymer plastic that is applied using an electrostatic process, over the top of a manganese phosphate (Parkerized) undercoat.

Over the years the finish has become VERY durable, with continuing changes and improvements to the formula. If you ever chip or scratch it, matte black auto body touch up paint, properly applied, makes an almost invisible repair. In my experience, it holds up better than most of the other finishes, including the Glock finish.

CZ also offers finishes in most models, along with several levels of stainless polish in the full-size models. Finding any of these in a shop can be a challenge, and ordering one -- be patient! -- is the way to go if you don't like polycoat.

I like the satin nickel finish, and have had several with that finish. Others like the Stainless guns, but only the MATTE level appeals to me. There are also various dual-tone models. The only CZ I own at the moment is a satin nickel CZ-85 Combat; great gun.

Warning: the newer CZs have DA triggers that aren't that good when first purchased, but improve greatly with dry-firing or use. I simply take new ones to the gunsmith and tell him to fix it -- as I can't stand shooting guns with so-so triggers. (The cost of shooting a lot of ammo is often MORE than gunsmith work!)

The standard (non-decocker) CZ lets you start from full hammer down, from the half-cock notch, for a shorter, lighter trigger, or from cocked and locked -- a feature not everyone understand.

CZ also makes SA only models, with triggers adjustable for take-up and over-travel; the safety levers on those models are larger (and ambidextrous), and those models have extended beavertails. They're worth a look.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Contrast Man

If I remember correctly, the finish is a "polycoat" which is just a durable polymer which is baked onto the metal. As a chemist, I wish I knew more about specifically how its done, but that's a different story.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:58 AM   #7
larryf1952

According to CZ's website, the only finish that is still available for a CZ 75b is black polycoat. I, too, have never cared for the polycoat finish. I haven't looked, so I don't know if CZ is offering different finishes on different models.

I have a .40 75b in dual tone, which has a matte blue slide and a satin nickel frame. I also own a 9mm 75b in stainless. When I bought the 9mm a few years ago, CZ had switched from matte to a polished stainless, which I tried to like but could not warm up to. I ended up sending it off for a hardchroming job, which turned out very well.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Venom1956

+1 to high gloss. CZs finish is crappy for a reason its cheap durable and easy to repair/maintain. you want pretty gun get a high polished one.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug