The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 26, 2015, 06:50 PM   #1
parolebear

Colt question

I just picked up a Colt Lawman 4" in the Royal Coltguard (E-less Nickel) finish. I have been getting conflicting info on these guns. Does anyone know how many they made in the Coltguard finish? Is the 2" or the 4" seen the most? The one that I have found for sale is listed at $995 is that in line? I have no desire to sell but I keep a list for wife to go by when my time comes. That way she does not sell them for $25.00 each as that is what they are worth to her. Mine is without a box or papers but is in excellent condition (95+). I have seen new guns in the box look worse from handling in the shop.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Lurch37

A quick search on GunBroker revealed 6 Lawmen for sale, with one getting bids. That particular one was at $705 with 7 days left, had the bright nickel finish and included the box, paper work, and looked like new. There are 4 sitting at $900 with no bids, one of which has the electroless nickel finish like yours.

I wouldn't say your price of $1000 is too far out of line, but a lot of that depends on location and other various factors in your area. If it had the box and other items, naturally it would make it a better deal. As far as total number made of that particular style I have no idea and I don't know if Colt gives that info out. I can do some digging but I'm not sure that info is out there.
Old May 27, 2015, 09:42 AM   #3
parolebear

Thanks, I do not plan on selling just wanted to know for my list THanks
Old May 28, 2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The "Royal Coltguard" finish was only used on the Python.
The standard Colt's like the Lawman got standard Coltguard.

The Python Royal Coltguard is a shinier finish then the more satin standard Coltguard electroless nickel finish used on all other Colt models.

Only Colt knows how many of a certain model or finish were made and they very seldom release that info.
I suspect that more Lawman 2 inch models were finished in Coltguard due to the intent for the 2 inch Lawman to be a close concealed carry gun subject to sweat and moisture.
Old May 28, 2015, 07:39 PM   #5
parolebear

Thanks for the info. I am trying to pick up what I can about the gun.