The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Auto5

Kudos to Kimber

I really wanted to move my Kimber Solo to the number one slot in my carry rotation, but it just hadn't earned my trust. They have a reputation for being finicky about ammo. On the last range trip, my defensive ammo shot fine, but I had numerous misfires (light primer strikes) with my practice rounds. When I got home, I took it apart to see if I could diagnose the problem. I found signs of peening on the barrel locking lugs in the slide. I called Kimber and emailed them the pictures I took.

The following day I received a prepaid shipping label to send the gun back to Kimber. Despite a predicted 4-5 week estimate, my pistol was returned in about two weeks. According to the paperwork, they replaced the slide, barrel, outer recoil spring and solo spring (striker?). They also did a complete gun check, safety function check, and replaced the sear as part of a QC inspection. All gratis. The notes indicated that they test fired 3 mags of American Eagle 124gr FMJ and two mags of Federal Hydrashok 147gr JHP. I just scored 5 boxes of 124gr FMJ for $12.00 each. Can't wait to take it out for a spin.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
orionengnr

Good write-up. I'll be looking for the follow-up.
I've been eyeballing the Solo since they came out, and have been tempted to try one. I have read that they don't like weak ammo, and don't necessarily like light (115 grain) ammo either.

I've owned a bunch of Kimber 1911s and have had very good results. A CDP version of the Solo is about the only thing that tempts me to cheat on my Kahr PM9.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Auto5

Kimber recommends 124 gr or 147 gr ammo, but I've talked to others who have no problems with 115 gr. The only trouble I had (before this incident) was with 115gr reloaded range ammo. I'll post a followup as soon as I can get out to the range.
Old April 18, 2014, 04:45 PM   #4
dgludwig

Quote:
I'll be looking for the follow-up.
Me too. It will be telling to see if Kimber fixed the problem on this go-around.
Old April 18, 2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Rinspeed

Best of luck to you, I'm a big Kimber fan but they have such a pathetic track record of actually being able to fix a problem it's no wonder there are so many haters.
Old April 19, 2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Polglock

I've seen some major malfunctions with Kimbers that I've posted about in the past. rusted barrels on new stainless guns and whole rounds , case and all dropping down the barrel so it's steered me away from them and it's ashame because I really want a raptor but can't see spending that much for something that I don't trust. Works of art they are though.
Old June 14, 2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Auto5

Sorry for the long delay in the followup, but I finally got the Kimber out to the range. 100 rounds of the recommended ammo, all trouble free. No signs of any wear or damage inside.
Old June 14, 2014, 12:32 PM   #8
Mystro

Thanks for the follow up. I love all my Kimbers. They have been trouble free and seem to eat everything I feed them. That Solo has a incredibly smooth factory trigger. Its on my list of wants.....

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old June 14, 2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

Glad to hear it. After months of dealing with Kimber CS a couple years ago; I'll never give them another dollar. Hopefully it is changing over there.
Old June 16, 2014, 06:01 PM   #10
varoadking

Quote:
I'm a big Kimber fan but they have such a pathetic track record of actually being able to fix a problem it's no wonder there are so many haters.
They have had a lot of practice...
Old June 18, 2014, 08:55 AM   #11
joe-lumber

Kimber

I have been thinking of a Kimber 45 and see good prices verses Gun Broker at the gun shows in the area. I have a Kimber 9mm that has worked great, Pro Carry II Commander. It really is great at the range in hitting the bullseye verses my Glock 9mm. I think it is the wonderful trigger on the Kimber verses the Glock trigger. If I purchase a 45 at this point I don't know which to pick from.
J
Old June 20, 2014, 10:19 PM   #12
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Glad to hear it. After months of dealing with Kimber CS a couple years ago; I'll never give them another dollar. Hopefully it is changing over there.
+1

After my 2 Kimber debacle, I put them in the same place as Taurus; The "Live and Learn" category.
Old June 20, 2014, 11:50 PM   #13
RX-79G

So, Kimber produces a gun that has a so-so reputation for feed reliability, and yours requires the replacement of the majority of major components for what appears to be two separate problems unrelated to feeding, and "Kudos" are in order?

This is a firearm, right? Not some art object that you'll never need to trust for anything?
Old June 20, 2014, 11:53 PM   #14
blackamos

"Getting one to run 100% reliable isn't exactly a science."

Kimber should sell guns that work from the factory. I'm glade he got his to work. As far as not smart enough to own a 1911. I have owned many and the only one that ever had to be sent back was a Kimber.

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; June 21, 2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: clean up in aisle 5
Old June 28, 2014, 06:46 AM   #15
Auto5

RX, I bought the gun used. The "kudos" was for the prompt customer service at no cost.
Old June 28, 2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Rinspeed

Quote:
After my 2 Kimber debacle, I put them in the same place as Taurus; The "Live and Learn" category.

I feel for anyone that has issues but I really, really love all the Kimber hate. It keeps the prices down a bit on the Custom Classics made in the late 90's. So keep on hating.

Old June 30, 2014, 11:44 PM   #17
Eight_is_enough

Quote:
I really, really love all the Kimber hate. It keeps the prices down a bit on the Custom Classics made in the late 90's. So keep on hating.
Amen. This NIB C-II went for $605 a few days ago. I find ALL 1911's to be over-priced, but the Kimber Customs provide the best value available.

Which, of course, is why they are the best-selling 1911 on the market, and why so many people buy multiple Kimbers.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=422007341